Re: [Csnd] Csound Nabble

Date2021-09-02 13:50
FromEnrico Francioni <00000005323c8739-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble
maybe there is no more Csound on Nabble?

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble
Looks like that..

On Thu, 2 Sept 2021 at 13:50, Enrico Francioni <00000005323c8739-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
maybe there is no more Csound on Nabble?

FromKevin Welsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble
I think it's functionality was sort of replaced by
https://forum.csound.com/ ?  I never really used nabble, so I'm not
sure if that's entirely 1:1, but mostly

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 8:56 AM Rory Walsh  wrote:

> Looks like that..
>
> On Thu, 2 Sept 2021 at 13:50, Enrico Francioni <00000005323c8739-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
>>
>> maybe there is no more Csound on Nabble?

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble
AttachmentsNone

Date2021-09-03 09:17
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble
It would be a huge loss, and it's one of the reasons we put together the new forum ourselves rather than depend on a third party service. I believe John might have access to 1000s of the older mailing list posts, while the current mailing list can be searched at https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND

On Fri, 3 Sept 2021 at 07:40, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 02, 2021 at 03:42:34PM -0400, Kevin Welsh wrote:
> I think it's functionality was sort of replaced by
> https://forum.csound.com/ ?  I never really used nabble, so I'm not
> sure if that's entirely 1:1, but mostly

... but the forum doesn't preserve these mailing list posts does it?
(Haven't actually ever used it yet).  I seldom referred to nabble either,
but it has/had the BIG advantage that I've never had to keep Csound
post that I thought I might be interested in later, because I could
always find them again on nabble.

If it's gone (as I, too, find it to be), I consider it a fairly major loss.

        -- Pete --

FromKevin Welsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble
I don't use it much either (at least not yet, it's been an odd year for me)...

But yes, it looks like it does mirror email list activity.  I wasn't
able to see the area of the forum until I logged in tho, not sure why:
https://forum.csound.com/t/re-csnd-csound-nabble/474/2

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 2:40 AM Pete Goodeve  wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 02, 2021 at 03:42:34PM -0400, Kevin Welsh wrote:
> > I think it's functionality was sort of replaced by
> > https://forum.csound.com/ ?  I never really used nabble, so I'm not
> > sure if that's entirely 1:1, but mostly
> >
> ... but the forum doesn't preserve these mailing list posts does it?
> (Haven't actually ever used it yet).  I seldom referred to nabble either,
> but it has/had the BIG advantage that I've never had to keep Csound
> post that I thought I might be interested in later, because I could
> always find them again on nabble.
>
> If it's gone (as I, too, find it to be), I consider it a fairly major loss.
>
>         -- Pete --

FromRichard Knight
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble

As an aside, news.gmane.io has 41621 Csound mailing list messages from 2005 to 2020, and 37772 for Csound-dev from 2003 to 2020. Both stop at January 2020 but I've requested an update to the gmane admins.
There's also an archive of the defunct Csound-tekno mailing list there.

However, they're only accessible via NNTP so not indexed/web viewable, but a fairly decent archive nonetheless.

On 2021-09-03 09:17, Rory Walsh wrote:

It would be a huge loss, and it's one of the reasons we put together the new forum ourselves rather than depend on a third party service. I believe John might have access to 1000s of the older mailing list posts, while the current mailing list can be searched at https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND

Date2021-09-04 13:41
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble
That's interesting. Maybe Hlöðver can import these to the online forum? I know nothing about this kind of thing. But that would be really nice and we would finally be free of 3rd party services.

On 2021-09-03 09:17, Rory Walsh wrote:

It would be a huge loss, and it's one of the reasons we put together the new forum ourselves rather than depend on a third party service. I believe John might have access to 1000s of the older mailing list posts, while the current mailing list can be searched at https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND

FromRichard Knight
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble

Would be easy to obtain the messages at least- NNTP servers return articles moreorless identical to email messages, then that could ideally be slotted in to whatever already exists for capturing the live list messages with something to inhibit duplication. Happy to help if I can in any way.

On 2021-09-04 13:41, Rory Walsh wrote:

That's interesting. Maybe Hlöðver can import these to the online forum? I know nothing about this kind of thing. But that would be really nice and we would finally be free of 3rd party services.

On Fri, 3 Sept 2021 at 23:47, Richard Knight <richard@1bpm.net> wrote:

As an aside, news.gmane.io has 41621 Csound mailing list messages from 2005 to 2020, and 37772 for Csound-dev from 2003 to 2020. Both stop at January 2020 but I've requested an update to the gmane admins.
There's also an archive of the defunct Csound-tekno mailing list there.

However, they're only accessible via NNTP so not indexed/web viewable, but a fairly decent archive nonetheless.

Date2021-09-04 15:22
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble
We use Discourse to host the new forum. If you think this would be possible I can ask Hlöðver to give you admin access. He's up to his eyes with work at the minute.

On 2021-09-04 13:41, Rory Walsh wrote:

That's interesting. Maybe Hlöðver can import these to the online forum? I know nothing about this kind of thing. But that would be really nice and we would finally be free of 3rd party services.

On Fri, 3 Sept 2021 at 23:47, Richard Knight <richard@1bpm.net> wrote:

As an aside, news.gmane.io has 41621 Csound mailing list messages from 2005 to 2020, and 37772 for Csound-dev from 2003 to 2020. Both stop at January 2020 but I've requested an update to the gmane admins.
There's also an archive of the defunct Csound-tekno mailing list there.

However, they're only accessible via NNTP so not indexed/web viewable, but a fairly decent archive nonetheless.

FromRichard Knight
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble

Definitely possible - yes, please do ask and I'll have a look. I have not used Discourse before, but looks like it has an accessible API and there's an easy looking Python module atop that too.
I'll probably be best to set up a local Discourse server and play around with the API before doing anything with the live site, so will have a look into that shortly.

On 2021-09-04 15:22, Rory Walsh wrote:

We use Discourse to host the new forum. If you think this would be possible I can ask Hlöðver to give you admin access. He's up to his eyes with work at the minute.

On Sat, 4 Sept 2021 at 13:57, Richard Knight <richard@1bpm.net> wrote:

Would be easy to obtain the messages at least- NNTP servers return articles moreorless identical to email messages, then that could ideally be slotted in to whatever already exists for capturing the live list messages with something to inhibit duplication. Happy to help if I can in any way.

Date2021-09-04 16:42
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble
That would be great. Let us know how your get on with the local one. If that works we can get you access 👍

On 2021-09-04 15:22, Rory Walsh wrote:

We use Discourse to host the new forum. If you think this would be possible I can ask Hlöðver to give you admin access. He's up to his eyes with work at the minute.

On Sat, 4 Sept 2021 at 13:57, Richard Knight <richard@1bpm.net> wrote:

Would be easy to obtain the messages at least- NNTP servers return articles moreorless identical to email messages, then that could ideally be slotted in to whatever already exists for capturing the live list messages with something to inhibit duplication. Happy to help if I can in any way.

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble

Seems to be the case. Searched for my past comments as
well as a general "nabble csound" search, and it comes up with
a "server not found" page. What's with that? Hmmm,....

-PBS

maybe there is no more Csound on Nabble?

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble
AttachmentsNone

Date2021-09-06 06:55
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble
No hope of nabble, but the posts still exist. Richard is looking into the possibility of importing them to the new Csound online forum where they would be safe and easily searchable. That would be by far the best option.

On Mon, 6 Sept 2021 at 02:21, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org> wrote:
Hi,
I did a quick web search and found this link:

  http://support.nabble.com/Downsizing-Nabble-td7609715.html

The poster mentions that they are not doing mailing-list archives any more,
just forums, so I guess that's what we had(?).  No hope of getting it back if so.

I found this link first, for another org that got shut down (points to the above):

  https://www.osgeo.org/foundation-news/osgeo-nabble-forum-is-shutting-down/

Strange that nabble.com itself seems not to have any mention!

        -- Pete --

Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble
I am not a user of nable so I am not sure what this trread is all about.

heanet has an archive of csounf d ad csound-dev mailing listsfrom the
start of us using them.   I someimeuse it when I half-remember a
discussion from months ago.  Csound mailing list was orifially at
exeter.ac.uk (actually uk.ac.exeter; University pf Exeter) but I do not
know of any aechve -- but I ssill have a few messages from those days
(earliest Tue, 16 Nov 93 10:00:30 GMT).

I t then moved to University of Bath with a number of reworkings as the
sofware base changed.  These are archived from October 2007 until Sep
2014.
We
moved from Bath to Sourceforge and those messgesare also archived.

Location http:gaule.cs.bath.ac.uk/Csound-archive

> No hope of nabble, but the posts still exist. Richard is looking into the
> possibility of importing them to the new Csound online forum where they would
> be safe and easily searchable. That would be by far the best option.

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble
AttachmentsNone

Date2021-09-06 21:23
Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble
I find it at https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND&Y=jpff%40code

but you may have to substitute yuur email address

similar for csound-dev

FromRichard Knight
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble
Useful to know about http://gaule.cs.bath.ac.uk/Csound-archive/
However each of the months gives a 403 forbidden for me ( eg
http://gaule.cs.bath.ac.uk/Csound-archive/csound_2012-04/ )

On 2021-09-06 17:53, john wrote:
> I am not a user of nable so I am not sure what this trread is all
> about.
>
> heanet has an archive of csounf d ad csound-dev mailing listsfrom the
> start of us using them.   I someimeuse it when I half-remember a
> discussion from months ago.  Csound mailing list was orifially at
> exeter.ac.uk (actually uk.ac.exeter; University pf Exeter) but I do
> not know of any aechve -- but I ssill have a few messages from those
> days
> (earliest Tue, 16 Nov 93 10:00:30 GMT).
>
> I t then moved to University of Bath with a number of reworkings as
> the sofware base changed.  These are archived from October 2007 until
> Sep 2014.
> We
> moved from Bath to Sourceforge and those messgesare also archived.
>
> Location http:gaule.cs.bath.ac.uk/Csound-archive
>

>> No hope of nabble, but the posts still exist. Richard is looking into
>> the
>> possibility of importing them to the new Csound online forum where
>> they would
>> be safe and easily searchable. That would be by far the best option.

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromRichard Knight
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble

Have to admit after a couple of hours messing with local Discourse I've not had much luck, I have it apparently running but the pages aren't rendering properly and hence can't set up tokens to play with the API.

Looking at the message counts by year (below) a few seem a bit inconsistent (namely 2008 and 2013), so I think if it would be possible to somehow get access to the messages at http://gaule.cs.bath.ac.uk/Csound-archive/ and https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND that would be a safer bet for importing 2007-10 - present to Discourse, though the former all give 403 forbiddens for me.

2005: 1570,
2006: 2814,
2007: 1169,
2008: 64,
2009: 2327,
2010: 6071,
2011: 7069,
2012: 557,
2013: 49,
2014: 572,
2015: 3245,
2016: 5766,
2017: 4056,
2018: 3202,
2019: 3008,
2020: 82

On 2021-09-04 16:42, Rory Walsh wrote:

That would be great. Let us know how your get on with the local one. If that works we can get you access 👍

On Sat 4 Sep 2021, 3:55 p.m. Richard Knight, <richard@1bpm.net> wrote:

Definitely possible - yes, please do ask and I'll have a look. I have not used Discourse before, but looks like it has an accessible API and there's an easy looking Python module atop that too.
I'll probably be best to set up a local Discourse server and play around with the API before doing anything with the live site, so will have a look into that shortly.

Date2021-09-06 22:21
FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble

I also get a 403 Forbidden. Hmmm,...

-PBS

On 2021-09-06 17:53, john wrote:
> I am not a user of nable so I am not sure what this trread is all
> about.
>
> heanet has an archive of csounf d ad csound-dev mailing listsfrom the
> start of us using them.  I someimeuse it when I half-remember a
> discussion from months ago.  Csound mailing list was orifially at
> exeter.ac.uk (actually uk.ac.exeter; University pf Exeter) but I do
> not know of any aechve -- but I ssill have a few messages from those
> days
> (earliest Tue, 16 Nov 93 10:00:30 GMT).
>
> I t then moved to University of Bath with a number of reworkings as
> the sofware base changed.  These are archived from October 2007 until
> Sep 2014.
> We
> moved from Bath to Sourceforge and those messgesare also archived.
>
> Location http:gaule.cs.bath.ac.uk/Csound-archive
>

>> No hope of nabble, but the posts still exist. Richard is looking into
>> the
>> possibility of importing them to the new Csound online forum where
>> they would
>> be safe and easily searchable. That would be by far the best option.

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Nabble
AttachmentsNone