[Csnd] Csound on the web audio input

Date2020-12-05 19:32
FromTarmo Johannes
Subject[Csnd] Csound on the web audio input
Hi,

I need some help (looking first towards Steven or Hlödever :) ) wit using microphone on the web -

I try to use audio input in a React based Csound web app. I guess I need to use CsoundObj.enableAudioInput for that but I failed to figure out how.

What I tried:
---
const [csound, setCsound] = useState(null);
useEffect(() => {
if (csound == null) {
CsoundObj.initialize().then(() => {
const cs = new CsoundObj();
cs.enableAudioInput( (res) => {
if (res) {
console.log("Audio Input OK");
} else {
console.log("Audio Input NOT OK!!");
}
});
setCsound(cs);
});
}
}, [csound]);
---
Unhandled Rejection (TypeError): Q is undefined
from line
cs.enableAudioInput( (res) => {

Please point me to some example or explain how should I handle it?

Thanks!
tarmo

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound on the web audio input
And another question -  I would really appreciate some help!

Can you guess why this gives always "undefined" (both value and value2)

 const getChannel = () => {
        let value2 = csound.requestControlChannel("ratio", (value) => console.log("Ratio1: ", value));
        console.log("Value2", value2);
    };

Kontakt Tarmo Johannes (<trmjhnns@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval L, 5. detsember 2020 kell 21:32:
[...]

Hi Tarmo,

I've used the enableAudioInput() before, but the message about Q is
odd; I'm not really sure what is happening there. For
requestControlChannel, you should be getting a value for value but
value2 would be undefined.  Is there source code you could point me to
to test?  (If it's a private project you can email me off list.) Could
you mention what OS and browser versions you are using?

Thanks!
Steven

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 4:51 PM Tarmo Johannes  wrote:

> And another question -  I would really appreciate some help!
>
> Can you guess why this gives always "undefined" (both value and value2)
>
>  const getChannel = () => {
>         let value2 = csound.requestControlChannel("ratio", (value) => console.log("Ratio1: ", value));
>         console.log("Value2", value2);
>     };
>
> Kontakt Tarmo Johannes () kirjutas kuupäeval L, 5. detsember 2020 kell 21:32:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need some help (looking first towards Steven or Hlödever :) ) wit using microphone on the web -
>>
>> I try to use audio input in a React based Csound web app. I guess I need to use CsoundObj.enableAudioInput for that but I failed to figure out how.
>>
>> What I tried:
>> ---
>>
>> const [csound, setCsound] = useState(null);
>> useEffect(() => {
>>     if (csound == null) {
>>         CsoundObj.initialize().then(() => {
>>             const cs = new CsoundObj();
>>             cs.enableAudioInput( (res) => {
>>                 if (res) {
>>                     console.log("Audio Input OK");
>>                 } else {
>>                     console.log("Audio Input NOT OK!!");
>>                 }
>>             });
>>             setCsound(cs);
>>         });
>>     }
>> }, [csound]);
>>
>> ---
>> Unhandled Rejection (TypeError): Q is undefined
>> from line
>> cs.enableAudioInput( (res) => {
>>
>> Please point me to some example or explain how should I handle it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> tarmo

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound on the web audio input
Hi!

It is a small test project, based on your learn-synthesis examples. So probably it is enough if I attach the file of the component and you can easily hook it into your project to test with?

I made the test on openSuse Linux, Firefox 78, tried also on Chrome 85, same result. I am using @kunstmusik/csound module in the project.

Thanks!
tarmo

Kontakt Steven Yi (<stevenyi@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval E, 7. detsember 2020 kell 04:24:

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 4:51 PM Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:

> And another question -  I would really appreciate some help!
>
> Can you guess why this gives always "undefined" (both value and value2)
>
>  const getChannel = () => {
>         let value2 = csound.requestControlChannel("ratio", (value) => console.log("Ratio1: ", value));
>         console.log("Value2", value2);
>     };
>
> Kontakt Tarmo Johannes (<trmjhnns@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval L, 5. detsember 2020 kell 21:32:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need some help (looking first towards Steven or Hlödever :) ) wit using microphone on the web -
>>
>> I try to use audio input in a React based Csound web app. I guess I need to use CsoundObj.enableAudioInput for that but I failed to figure out how.
>>
>> What I tried:
>> ---
>>
>> const [csound, setCsound] = useState(null);
>> useEffect(() => {
>>     if (csound == null) {
>>         CsoundObj.initialize().then(() => {
>>             const cs = new CsoundObj();
>>             cs.enableAudioInput( (res) => {
>>                 if (res) {
>>                     console.log("Audio Input OK");
>>                 } else {
>>                     console.log("Audio Input NOT OK!!");
>>                 }
>>             });
>>             setCsound(cs);
>>         });
>>     }
>> }, [csound]);
>>
>> ---
>> Unhandled Rejection (TypeError): Q is undefined
>> from line
>> cs.enableAudioInput( (res) => {
>>
>> Please point me to some example or explain how should I handle it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> tarmo

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound on the web audio input
I can test that, can you send me the file of the component?

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 5:25 AM Tarmo Johannes  wrote:

> Hi!
>
> It is a small test project, based on your learn-synthesis examples. So probably it is enough if I attach the file of the component and you can easily hook it into your project to test with?
>
> I made the test on openSuse Linux, Firefox 78, tried also on Chrome 85, same result. I am using @kunstmusik/csound module in the project.
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo
>
> Kontakt Steven Yi () kirjutas kuupäeval E, 7. detsember 2020 kell 04:24:
>>
>> Hi Tarmo,
>>
>> I've used the enableAudioInput() before, but the message about Q is
>> odd; I'm not really sure what is happening there. For
>> requestControlChannel, you should be getting a value for value but
>> value2 would be undefined.  Is there source code you could point me to
>> to test?  (If it's a private project you can email me off list.) Could
>> you mention what OS and browser versions you are using?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Steven
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 4:51 PM Tarmo Johannes  wrote:
>> >
>> > And another question -  I would really appreciate some help!
>> >
>> > Can you guess why this gives always "undefined" (both value and value2)
>> >
>> >  const getChannel = () => {
>> >         let value2 = csound.requestControlChannel("ratio", (value) => console.log("Ratio1: ", value));
>> >         console.log("Value2", value2);
>> >     };
>> >
>> > Kontakt Tarmo Johannes () kirjutas kuupäeval L, 5. detsember 2020 kell 21:32:

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound on the web audio input
Oh,

Forgot the attachment.
Or rather- Now I found out that the js file was discarded for the security reasons.
Now uploaded to:

Thanks!
tarmo

Kontakt Steven Yi (<stevenyi@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval E, 7. detsember 2020 kell 17:20:

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 5:25 AM Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> It is a small test project, based on your learn-synthesis examples. So probably it is enough if I attach the file of the component and you can easily hook it into your project to test with?
>
> I made the test on openSuse Linux, Firefox 78, tried also on Chrome 85, same result. I am using @kunstmusik/csound module in the project.
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo
>
> Kontakt Steven Yi (<stevenyi@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval E, 7. detsember 2020 kell 04:24:
>>
>> Hi Tarmo,
>>
>> I've used the enableAudioInput() before, but the message about Q is
>> odd; I'm not really sure what is happening there. For
>> requestControlChannel, you should be getting a value for value but
>> value2 would be undefined.  Is there source code you could point me to
>> to test?  (If it's a private project you can email me off list.) Could
>> you mention what OS and browser versions you are using?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Steven
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 4:51 PM Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > And another question -  I would really appreciate some help!
>> >
>> > Can you guess why this gives always "undefined" (both value and value2)
>> >
>> >  const getChannel = () => {
>> >         let value2 = csound.requestControlChannel("ratio", (value) => console.log("Ratio1: ", value));
>> >         console.log("Value2", value2);
>> >     };
>> >
>> > Kontakt Tarmo Johannes (<trmjhnns@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval L, 5. detsember 2020 kell 21:32:

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound on the web audio input
Hi, Steven,

Have you had chance to check why requestControlChannel and enableAudioInput did not work in my test app with @kunstmusik/csound?

Thanks!
tarmo

Kontakt Tarmo Johannes (<trmjhnns@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval E, 7. detsember 2020 kell 18:19:
Oh,

Forgot the attachment.
Or rather- Now I found out that the js file was discarded for the security reasons.
Now uploaded to:

Thanks!
tarmo

Kontakt Steven Yi (<stevenyi@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval E, 7. detsember 2020 kell 17:20:
I can test that, can you send me the file of the component?

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 5:25 AM Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> It is a small test project, based on your learn-synthesis examples. So probably it is enough if I attach the file of the component and you can easily hook it into your project to test with?
>
> I made the test on openSuse Linux, Firefox 78, tried also on Chrome 85, same result. I am using @kunstmusik/csound module in the project.
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo
>
> Kontakt Steven Yi (<stevenyi@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval E, 7. detsember 2020 kell 04:24:
>>
>> Hi Tarmo,
>>
>> I've used the enableAudioInput() before, but the message about Q is
>> odd; I'm not really sure what is happening there. For
>> requestControlChannel, you should be getting a value for value but
>> value2 would be undefined.  Is there source code you could point me to
>> to test?  (If it's a private project you can email me off list.) Could
>> you mention what OS and browser versions you are using?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Steven
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 4:51 PM Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > And another question -  I would really appreciate some help!
>> >
>> > Can you guess why this gives always "undefined" (both value and value2)
>> >
>> >  const getChannel = () => {
>> >         let value2 = csound.requestControlChannel("ratio", (value) => console.log("Ratio1: ", value));
>> >         console.log("Value2", value2);
>> >     };
>> >
>> > Kontakt Tarmo Johannes (<trmjhnns@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval L, 5. detsember 2020 kell 21:32:

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound on the web audio input
Sorry, I have not had a chance to yet (end of term with lots of
grading at the moment!). I'll try to take a look at this later
tonight.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 4:18 PM Tarmo Johannes  wrote:

> Hi, Steven,
>
> Have you had chance to check why requestControlChannel and enableAudioInput did not work in my test app with @kunstmusik/csound?
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo
>

> Kontakt Tarmo Johannes () kirjutas kuupäeval E, 7. detsember 2020 kell 18:19:
>>
>> Oh,
>>
>> Forgot the attachment.
>> Or rather- Now I found out that the js file was discarded for the security reasons.
>> Now uploaded to:
>> https://tarmo.uuu.ee/cs/csound-app/src/Beep.js
>>
>> Thanks!
>> tarmo
>>
>> Kontakt Steven Yi () kirjutas kuupäeval E, 7. detsember 2020 kell 17:20:
>>>
>>> I can test that, can you send me the file of the component?

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound on the web audio input
I ran things here and I had to use this code to get the control channel value:

    const getChannel = () => {
        csound.requestControlChannel("ratio",
          () => console.log("Ratio1: ", csound.getControlChannel("ratio")));
    };

I don't remember the design decision behind this but the callback does
not accept arguments in the current implementation. I was also able to
uncomment your code for audio input and got the OK option here once I
permitted microphone access on my browser for the page.

Just a note, I was working with Hlodver on a redesigned WebAudio
Csound that merges designs between what he has done in csound-wasm and
what we have in the current WebAudio Csound. I think some API methods
will change but largely for the better (e.g., most API methods will be
promise-based). That work stalled with the end of term here for me but
should resume next week. If all goes well we'll open it up for testing
while we iron out examples and documentation.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 6:45 PM Steven Yi  wrote:

> Sorry, I have not had a chance to yet (end of term with lots of
> grading at the moment!). I'll try to take a look at this later
> tonight.
>
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 4:18 PM Tarmo Johannes  wrote:
> >
> > Hi, Steven,
> >
> > Have you had chance to check why requestControlChannel and enableAudioInput did not work in my test app with @kunstmusik/csound?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > tarmo
> >

> > Kontakt Tarmo Johannes () kirjutas kuupäeval E, 7. detsember 2020 kell 18:19:
> >>
> >> Oh,
> >>
> >> Forgot the attachment.
> >> Or rather- Now I found out that the js file was discarded for the security reasons.
> >> Now uploaded to:
> >> https://tarmo.uuu.ee/cs/csound-app/src/Beep.js
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> tarmo
> >>
> >> Kontakt Steven Yi () kirjutas kuupäeval E, 7. detsember 2020 kell 17:20:

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound on the web audio input
Hi, Steven,

Thanks a lot for taking time from your busy scheduler!

I understood  now how to get channel values and it works as supposed.

And it is very good news that you are joining your forces with Hlödver!   I was just in contact with him and tried also csound-wasm npm module but had other problems.

I will do some digging about enableAudioInput - it probably needs another parameter, I try to figure it out.

Best!

tarmo

Kontakt Steven Yi (<stevenyi@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval N, 10. detsember 2020 kell 15:25:

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 6:45 PM Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I have not had a chance to yet (end of term with lots of
> grading at the moment!). I'll try to take a look at this later
> tonight.
>
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 4:18 PM Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, Steven,
> >
> > Have you had chance to check why requestControlChannel and enableAudioInput did not work in my test app with @kunstmusik/csound?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > tarmo
> >

> > Kontakt Tarmo Johannes (<trmjhnns@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval E, 7. detsember 2020 kell 18:19:
> >>
> >> Oh,
> >>
> >> Forgot the attachment.
> >> Or rather- Now I found out that the js file was discarded for the security reasons.
> >> Now uploaded to:
> >> https://tarmo.uuu.ee/cs/csound-app/src/Beep.js
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> tarmo
> >>
> >> Kontakt Steven Yi (<stevenyi@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval E, 7. detsember 2020 kell 17:20:

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound on the web audio input
Hi,

Ok, I found the reason for enableAudioInput not to work -  it took quite some time to dug out, maybe it is helpful for others, too:

the problem was that I was running the test session  of the test react app with npm start and that sets the host name from  environment HOST variable and started the web page on http://tarmo-laptop:3000

In CsoundObj.js the enableAudioInput has lines:
        navigator.getUserMedia = navigator.getUserMedia || navigator.webkitGetUserMedia || navigator.mozGetUserMedia || null;

Finally I found out that if the page is served from non secure connection (ie http, not https), then getUserMedia (and navigator.mediaDevice) are accessable, ie always undefined:

from https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/MediaDevices/getUserMedia
Note: If the current document isn't loaded securely, navigator.mediaDevices will be undefined, and you cannot use getUserMedia(). See Security for more information on this and other security issues related to using getUserMedia()

localhost is considered secure connection, but any other alisa, although it is de facto localhost, not. So I needed to change my startup command to:

 export HOST=localhost ; npm start

and then everything worked as expected.  Huhh, I can move on now.

Take care!
tarmo

Kontakt Tarmo Johannes (<trmjhnns@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval N, 10. detsember 2020 kell 20:43:
Hi, Steven,

Thanks a lot for taking time from your busy scheduler!

I understood  now how to get channel values and it works as supposed.

And it is very good news that you are joining your forces with Hlödver!   I was just in contact with him and tried also csound-wasm npm module but had other problems.

I will do some digging about enableAudioInput - it probably needs another parameter, I try to figure it out.

Best!

tarmo

Kontakt Steven Yi (<stevenyi@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval N, 10. detsember 2020 kell 15:25:
I ran things here and I had to use this code to get the control channel value:

    const getChannel = () => {
        csound.requestControlChannel("ratio",
          () => console.log("Ratio1: ", csound.getControlChannel("ratio")));
    };

I don't remember the design decision behind this but the callback does
not accept arguments in the current implementation. I was also able to
uncomment your code for audio input and got the OK option here once I
permitted microphone access on my browser for the page.

Just a note, I was working with Hlodver on a redesigned WebAudio
Csound that merges designs between what he has done in csound-wasm and
what we have in the current WebAudio Csound. I think some API methods
will change but largely for the better (e.g., most API methods will be
promise-based). That work stalled with the end of term here for me but
should resume next week. If all goes well we'll open it up for testing
while we iron out examples and documentation.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 6:45 PM Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I have not had a chance to yet (end of term with lots of
> grading at the moment!). I'll try to take a look at this later
> tonight.
>
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 4:18 PM Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, Steven,
> >
> > Have you had chance to check why requestControlChannel and enableAudioInput did not work in my test app with @kunstmusik/csound?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > tarmo
> >

> > Kontakt Tarmo Johannes (<trmjhnns@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval E, 7. detsember 2020 kell 18:19:
> >>
> >> Oh,
> >>
> >> Forgot the attachment.
> >> Or rather- Now I found out that the js file was discarded for the security reasons.
> >> Now uploaded to:
> >> https://tarmo.uuu.ee/cs/csound-app/src/Beep.js
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> tarmo
> >>
> >> Kontakt Steven Yi (<stevenyi@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval E, 7. detsember 2020 kell 17:20:

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound on the web audio input
Hi Tarmo,

FYI: I added this issue to the issue tracker so that this information
gets added to the next WebAudio csound release:

https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1417

All best!
Steven