[Csnd] My thoughts on today's Zoom meeting

Subject[Csnd] My thoughts on today's Zoom meeting
First, thanks to Richard Boulanger for hosting a great meeting, and to
all the participants for keeping it interesting and alive.

Second, three and a half hours is waaay too long! Two hours should be
the maximum. Now my actual thoughts...

The risset package system for Csound should be able to host various
kinds of resources, including user-defined opcodes in ".inc" files,
samples, and so on.

In the meantime, I will try to put into risset-data some of my plugin
opcodes: the vst3 opcodes, the Aeolus opcodes, and perhaps some
others. These will be initially for Linux only. I will investigate
getting builds for different platforms integrated into my own plugin
repositories.

The Web-IDE is great, but it should should be able to host HTML and
JavaScript code. This should be done in addition to, or if it is a
choice rather than, setting up ANOTHER widget toolkit. The easiest way
to do this is to add to the database a field for an HTML page that can
include JavaScript, and in which the Csound object, the orc file as a
string, and the sco file as a string are properties of the window. The
Web-IDE itself can then display the HTML page for a project in a new
editor, and then when the piece runs, display what the HTML page
renders in an iframe that replaces the editor. That's all that's
really needed to do this job. A simplified set of custom widgets could
then be layered on top of this. This interferes not all with the
current behavior of the Web-IDE.

I completely agree that a more visible only presence for Csound pieces
is highly desirable. My personal experience is that concerts and
festivals are exhausting, but playlists and radio stations are easy
and entice me to hear new stuff. However, concerts can turn into
playlists and radio stations, so concerts first.

I have experience organizing this kind of thing in the poetry world. I
suggest two levels of presentation: uncurated but first-come,
first-served every week, and then curated every month. I don't either
oppose or favor prizes. There should be categories for live coding,
for live performances using Csound, and for "tape music." All the
concerts should be archived and available for streaming later.

That's all for now, and thanks everyone,

FromGuillermo Senna
SubjectRe: [Csnd] My thoughts on today's Zoom meeting

Hi,

Maybe if Eduardo's reading this he can chime in about risset. I'll just reiterate what I said to Steven in the chat. I think the Csound repo should host a file with redirects to the other third-party repos and the package manager should work based on that file. Adding everything inside a single repo is still a bit too much like the centralized system we have nowadays.

Regarding the Web-IDE, I think having the websocket opcodes working might be a better/simpler solution to that problem. That way you could have your custom GUI running inside a separate tab or window in the browser, or even have the GUI being accessible from a cellphone or tablet inside the local LAN.

Just my two cents. Cheers.

On 19/7/20 16:13, Michael Gogins wrote:
[...]

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] My thoughts on today's Zoom meeting
Jul 19 2020, Michael Gogins has written:
> Second, three and a half hours is waaay too long! Two hours should be
> the maximum.
I actually enjoyed the time, even though I was mostly listening. But
three and a half hours of organised program might be a little heavy.
Maybe two hours program and the rest, if desired, just chit-chat or a
free-for-all, as we had last time. I noticed rather hesitant responses
to Dr. B's questions. Personally, I might have been a little more
forthcoming in a more social unorganised part.

Last but not least: yes thanks for a great meeting, thanks for the
dedication and time.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Baby, there's something about you
Show me, that nothing can hold you down <3
(Britney Spears)

FromEduardo Moguillansky
SubjectRe: [Csnd] My thoughts on today's Zoom meeting

From what I can see from usage statistics, hardly anyone is using risset and no one has contributed with binaries to own plugins. In fact, there are hardly any external plugins outside the plugins I have put together and some test plugins made by Rory, so it comes as no surprise that there are no contributions. With that in mind, any discussion about the system itself seems rather pointless.

On 19.07.20 21:51, Guillermo Senna wrote:

[...]

FromKevin Welsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] My thoughts on today's Zoom meeting
Hello all, hope everyone is doing well!  Sorry I wasn't able to
attend, this time slot just didn't work out at the last minute... but
I look forward to getting caught up once the recording is posted!

FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd] My thoughts on today's Zoom meeting
I tried risset but it never delivered anything However is supposed to work?

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

On Jul 19, 2020, 20:52, at 20:52, Guillermo Senna  wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> I have experience organizing this kind of thing in the poetry world.
>> suggest two levels of presentation: uncurated but first-come,
>> first-served every week, and then curated every month. I don't either
>> oppose or favor prizes. There should be categories for live coding,
>> for live performances using Csound, and for "tape music." All the
>> concerts should be archived and available for streaming later.
>>
>> That's all for now, and thanks everyone,
>> Mike

>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>
>Csound mailing list
>Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>Send bugs reports to
>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

SubjectRe: [Csnd] My thoughts on today's Zoom meeting
I would like to see risset become used more myself. I think it should be a major part of the ecosystem moving forward. For example, seeing Christian's waveterrain opcodes as a library distributed via risset would have been great.

One of the ideas that came up again was an example opcode library github project that has CI-driven builds to automatically compile for various platforms. If this could also be used to generate information that could be used by risset that might spark more usage.

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 5:07 PM Eduardo Moguillansky <eduardo.moguillansky@gmail.com> wrote:

From what I can see from usage statistics, hardly anyone is using risset and no one has contributed with binaries to own plugins. In fact, there are hardly any external plugins outside the plugins I have put together and some test plugins made by Rory, so it comes as no surprise that there are no contributions. With that in mind, any discussion about the system itself seems rather pointless.

[...]

FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
SubjectRe: [Csnd] My thoughts on today's Zoom meeting
The package management discussion is a rabbit hole which I avoided to comment on.
But coming from the author of Risset, we should probably keep him in the loop before
deciding on anything.

That said, no matter if we decide for package manager foo or bar, Csound7 would need
namespaces and possibly module resolution mechanism in a modern sense (not 70's #include statements).
And if that's the case, the package manager could be offloaded to anyone willing to make one, or in ideal
scenario, just a debian/rpm/brew mirror natively (I know that could be bit annoying for contributors starting out).

Since I haven't contributed anything on this topic I'll accept any decision made. But I fear depending on Python installation
and Foo or Bar or Risset package manager specific core csound code could be a dead end, in terms of maintanability
and engineering creativity.

About the meeting, it was super long but I didn't notice at all. Time flies when you're having fun. But I think aiming for 2 Hours
makes sense for scheduled topics, and free-for-all in the end we just let live.

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 at 00:20, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
I would like to see risset become used more myself. I think it should be a major part of the ecosystem moving forward. For example, seeing Christian's waveterrain opcodes as a library distributed via risset would have been great.

One of the ideas that came up again was an example opcode library github project that has CI-driven builds to automatically compile for various platforms. If this could also be used to generate information that could be used by risset that might spark more usage.

From what I can see from usage statistics, hardly anyone is using risset and no one has contributed with binaries to own plugins. In fact, there are hardly any external plugins outside the plugins I have put together and some test plugins made by Rory, so it comes as no surprise that there are no contributions. With that in mind, any discussion about the system itself seems rather pointless.

FromdocB <000005d2745f1ec0-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>

On 7/20/20 12:20 AM, Steven Yi wrote:
I would like to see risset become used more myself. I think it should be a major part of the ecosystem moving forward. For example, seeing Christian's waveterrain opcodes as a library distributed via risset would have been great.

yes true,

but so far i understood that i would have to deliver binaries i.e. builds (pleas correct me when i am wrong).

i would currently not be able to deliver builds for MAC and Windows.

Something like CI build servers would be an idea here - so that i only have to commit the c code along the package information.

One of the ideas that came up again was an example opcode library github project that has CI-driven builds to automatically compile for various platforms. If this could also be used to generate information that could be used by risset that might spark more usage.

From what I can see from usage statistics, hardly anyone is using risset and no one has contributed with binaries to own plugins. In fact, there are hardly any external plugins outside the plugins I have put together and some test plugins made by Rory, so it comes as no surprise that there are no contributions. With that in mind, any discussion about the system itself seems rather pointless.