[Csnd] Efficiency question: tab/tabw vs. straight kvariable access

Date2020-04-30 20:31
From"Jeanette C."
Subject[Csnd] Efficiency question: tab/tabw vs. straight kvariable access
Hey hey,
I'm working on a bigger orchestra for live use, with quite a few configuration
options. These options can be saved to ftables and lastly files anyway.

In my instruments: does it make a great difference whether I use tab and tabw
to access/change these values or first write to k-rate variables, which only
get transferred to ftables, when it's time to save?

No index interpolation and tablesize checking is required, so tab and tabw can
always do the job "safely".

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

E-mail my heart and say our love will never die... <3
(Britney Spears)

Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Efficiency question: tab/tabw vs. straight kvariable access
Use of a k variable is certainly more efficient than a cal to tab/tabw as it
requires an opcode call and a t least one addition  a range check and a
indirection.  Not measured it though.  You can do so with the timing
opcodes if you want to quantify it.

At least tat is my opinion

==John ff

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020, Jeanette C. wrote:

> Hey hey,
> I'm working on a bigger orchestra for live use, with quite a few
> configuration options. These options can be saved to ftables and lastly files
> anyway.
>
> In my instruments: does it make a great difference whether I use tab and tabw
> to access/change these values or first write to k-rate variables, which only
> get transferred to ftables, when it's time to save?
>
> No index interpolation and tablesize checking is required, so tab and tabw
> can always do the job "safely".
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette
>
> --
> * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
> * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
> * SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette_c
> * Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeanette_c_s
> * Audiobombs: https://www.audiobombs.com/users/jeanette_c
> * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c
>
> E-mail my heart and say our love will never die... <3
> (Britney Spears)

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Efficiency question: tab/tabw vs. straight kvariable access
May 1 2020, john has written:

> Use of a k variable is certainly more efficient than a cal to tab/tabw as it
> requires an opcode call
> At least tat is my opinion
I'd rather take that. I vote your Csound opinion higher than I'd rate my
knowledge of it any day. :)

Thanks and best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I'm so curious, what do you think of me <3
(Britney Spears)