[Csnd] Csound and embedded platforms

Date2020-02-25 22:18
From"Jeanette C."
Subject[Csnd] Csound and embedded platforms
Hey hey,
over the past few years a few - more or less - open platforms and devices have
appeared based on different boards. Perhaps the latest in this chain is the
Daisy platform by Electro Smith
https://www.electro-smith.com/

Are their such embedded platforms that Csound can be run on? Or are there ways
to "export" Csound orchestras to any of these?

PD was certainly mentioned with the Daisy and another effects processor, might
have been the Cloud Lifter.

I know that Csound can be run on a Raspberry Pi in connection with Arduinos to
enable interaction with the physical world.

Best wishes and TIA,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

They say, break away - I'm missing out on the fun and games <3
(Britney Spears)

FromBernt Isak Wærstad
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound and embedded platforms
You can run Csound on Bela: https://bela.io

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 23:18, Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:
Hey hey,
over the past few years a few - more or less - open platforms and devices have
appeared based on different boards. Perhaps the latest in this chain is the
Daisy platform by Electro Smith
https://www.electro-smith.com/

Are their such embedded platforms that Csound can be run on? Or are there ways
to "export" Csound orchestras to any of these?

PD was certainly mentioned with the Daisy and another effects processor, might
have been the Cloud Lifter.

I know that Csound can be run on a Raspberry Pi in connection with Arduinos to
enable interaction with the physical world.

Best wishes and TIA,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

They say, break away - I'm missing out on the fun and games <3
(Britney Spears)

Mvh.

Bernt Isak Wærstad

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound and embedded platforms
Feb 26 2020, Bernt Isak Wærstad has written:

> You can run Csound on Bela: https://bela.io
Thanks Bernt. Have you seen this in action? Reading on the site, there's
one absolutely vital factor for me: can the Bela board be programmed and
setup without its own browser? Would it be possible with a - more or less
- standard commandline development toolchain?

best wishes and thanks again,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

We still move to a rhythm just like this
We still dream of sharing our first kiss <3
(Britney Spears)

FromAlex Hofmann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound and embedded platforms
Hi Janette,

Yes on Bela you can program Csound via the Browser and don't need the commandline.
BTW: Richard pointed out that since the last BELA-software update this winter, you unfortunately need to update Csound manually before it works on the board. I posted instructions how to do this (also via the Browser) here: https://forum.bela.io/d/1169-csound-and-boot-problems/5

But hope we get this fixed soon, that it runs straight out of the box, again.

Best,
Alex

Am 26.02.2020 um 23:39 schrieb Jeanette C. <julien@MAIL.UPB.DE>:

Feb 26 2020, Bernt Isak Wærstad has written:

You can run Csound on Bela: https://bela.io
Thanks Bernt. Have you seen this in action? Reading on the site, there's
one absolutely vital factor for me: can the Bela board be programmed and
setup without its own browser? Would it be possible with a - more or less
- standard commandline development toolchain?

best wishes and thanks again,

Jeanette

* GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

We still move to a rhythm just like this
We still dream of sharing our first kiss <3
(Britney Spears)

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound and embedded platforms
Feb 29 2020, Alex Hofmann has written:

> Hi Janette,
>
> Yes on Bela you can program Csound via the Browser and don't need the commandline.
Ah, the wrong end of the stick there. :) I'd really need to know if I
can program a Bela board ONLY using commandline tools.

Best wishes and thanks for the heads-up,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Here I go, on my own now <3
(Britney Spears)

FromAlex Hofmann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound and embedded platforms
you can also log in via ssh and do all linux based command line magic,
BELA is based on the Beaglebone boards.

Am 29.02.2020 um 10:55 schrieb Jeanette C. <julien@MAIL.UPB.DE>:

Feb 29 2020, Alex Hofmann has written:

Hi Janette,

Yes on Bela you can program Csound via the Browser and don't need the commandline.
Ah, the wrong end of the stick there. :) I'd really need to know if I
can program a Bela board ONLY using commandline tools.

Best wishes and thanks for the heads-up,

Jeanette

* GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Here I go, on my own now <3
(Britney Spears)

FromAaron Krister Johnson
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound and embedded platforms
Yes, I use a Bela-mini, and there is a directory of CLI tools that basically run bela scripts, so one can SSH into the Bela board and run project from the commandline w/o having to use the browser-based IDE at all...works quite well. The browser IDE ends up calling these commands under the hood, anyway.

Cheers,

AKJ

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020, 9:11 AM Alex Hofmann <ahah@gmx.net> wrote:
you can also log in via ssh and do all linux based command line magic,
BELA is based on the Beaglebone boards.

Am 29.02.2020 um 10:55 schrieb Jeanette C. <julien@MAIL.UPB.DE>:

Feb 29 2020, Alex Hofmann has written:

Hi Janette,

Yes on Bela you can program Csound via the Browser and don't need the commandline.
Ah, the wrong end of the stick there. :) I'd really need to know if I
can program a Bela board ONLY using commandline tools.

Best wishes and thanks for the heads-up,

Jeanette

* GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Here I go, on my own now <3
(Britney Spears)

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound and embedded platforms
I am really loving the Bela Mini!

I will be teaching with it at Berklee starting in the summer semester am developing curriculum materials now.

Alex Hofmann is giving two days of Bela workshops in April!

If anyone has materials to share, instruments to share, or experience to share, I would be very interested.

Dr.B.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design