[Csnd] New online forum for Csound!

Date2021-01-12 16:37
FromRory Walsh
Subject[Csnd] New online forum for Csound!
After what seems like over a decade since this was first mooted, Csound now has an online forum. Special thanks to Hlöðver who took the time to set it up. Being the good man he is, he has also generously offered to cover the costs! Thanks also to Nate Whetsell for posting a hljs.js syntax highlighter for Csound on github. We blatantly robbed it to provide syntax highlighting of Csound code!

The forum can be found here:
It has categories for general users, newbies, CsoundQT and developers. There is also a mirror of the current mailing list. This is read only, but will provide a very accessible way of searching the current list.

Some things to note:
* If you wish to use this like a traditional mailing list, you can enable 'mailing list mode' in your user preferences under 'emails'. Each post to the forum will appear in your inbox.
* You can also reply directly from your email, you don't have to visit the forum.
* You cannot start a new topic yet from your email but Hlöðver is looking into this.....
* If you wish to mute email notifications from a particular category, just press the bell icon on the top right hand side of the category.
* If you wish to modify how you are notified about posts to a particular forum, or just in general, you can again do so from user preferences notifications
To receive a notification email when someone quotes you, replies to your post, or mentions your @username, set 'Send me an email when.....' to 'always' in the email settings from the user preferences.
* You cannot reply to any messages in the readonly mirror of the Csound mailing list

If you have any questions, post here, or to the forum!

Regards,
Rory.

p.s. just in case anyone is wondering, the current Csound mailing list isn't going anywhere. We just felt that an online forum might be a little more accessible for newer users.

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New online forum for Csound!
Rory and Hlöðver,

This is wonderful.

Over the past 10 months, I have been actively using the Bela forum to find answers to issues and questions and to share some of my solutions.
(I have been enjoying the Cabbage Forum too - of course)
- I have found these to be really excellent environments for just this and it has really helped me move forward in my research on the Bela platform especially.
- I am sure that this system will really work out for many - especially the categorization.

I am quite sure that many of my students will be happy with what they discover here and you will see increased use and growth as a result.

Dr.B.

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor of Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing and Technology Division

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 11:42 AM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
[...]

FromAnders Genell
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New online forum for Csound!
Fantastic work!!
I’ll immediately start lurking.

Regards,
Anders

12 jan. 2021 kl. 17:42 skrev Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie>:

[...]

FromJason Hallen
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New online forum for Csound!
This is great news!  This will be a wonderful addition to the Csound community.  Thanks to you and Hlöðver for your work on getting this up and running!

Jason

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:42 AM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
[...]

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New online forum for Csound!
Wonderful news! Thanks a lot!

I joined, enabled e-mail mode (as an old fashioned guy)  and will be watching CsoundQt category,  feel free to post questions there!

tarmo

Kontakt Jason Hallen (<hallenj@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval T, 12. jaanuar 2021 kell 22:11:

FromJohann Philippe <000002c2c0737523-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Le mardi 12 janvier 2021 à 21:54:32 UTC+1, Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> a écrit :

[...]

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New online forum for Csound!
Look great! Thanks for setting it up.

tir. 12. jan. 2021 kl. 17:42 skrev Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie>:
[...]

super!!!  thanks to you all for setting it up!

(just a minor thing:
not: CsoundQT
but: CsoundQt)

i have added a mention in the flossmanual in
https://csound-floss-dev.firebaseapp.com/appendix/links

cheers -
	joachim