[Csnd] Turing Machine sequencer example?

Date2021-12-30 18:20
From"Jeanette C."
Subject[Csnd] Turing Machine sequencer example?
Hey hey,
does anyone have an example of a "turing machine sequencer" implemented in
Csound? I think I get the basic idea, but I'd like to confirm that and don't
think I'm skilled enough to read the original source code.

Best wishes and thanks for any pointers,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I believe
We all have one true love
Somewhere in this world <3
(Britney Spears)

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Turing Machine sequencer example?
Hi Jeanette,

There's a new opcode (in the latest release, I think?) called "lfsr" (for "linear feedback shift register"), which is the algorithm used by most if not all modules that use the term "Turing machine". It's not a sequencer, but it generates a series of numbers at k-time that can be used for pitch or other parameters. I adapted it from the algorithm used in the Ornament & Crime module. Hopefully it will do what you want.

- Dave

On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 1:20 PM Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:
Hey hey,
does anyone have an example of a "turing machine sequencer" implemented in
Csound? I think I get the basic idea, but I'd like to confirm that and don't
think I'm skilled enough to read the original source code.

Best wishes and thanks for any pointers,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I believe
We all have one true love
Somewhere in this world <3
(Britney Spears)

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Turing Machine sequencer example?
Dec 30 2021, Dave Seidel has written:

> Hi Jeanette,
>
> There's a new opcode (in the latest release, I think?) called "lfsr" (for
> "linear feedback shift register"), which is the algorithm used by most if
> not all modules that use the term "Turing machine".
Many thanks Dave, this gives me a good idea and maybe I can incorporate
it into my project.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I believe
We all have one true love
Somewhere in this world <3
(Britney Spears)

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Turing Machine sequencer example?

The Three State Busy Beaver looks like an interesting place to start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_machine

Also the book The Feynman Processor by Gerald Milburn has a good
chapter on the subject of Turing machines.

Then there is that chapter in the Csound Book on waveguides and chaos.
Cool start to getting into some non linear dynamic math stuff to explore.

-Partev

> There's a new opcode (in the latest release, I think?) called "lfsr" (for
> "linear feedback shift register"), which is the algorithm used by most if
> not all modules that use the term "Turing machine".
Many thanks Dave, this gives me a good idea and maybe I can incorporate
it into my project.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I believe
We all have one true love
Somewhere in this world <3
(Britney Spears)

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Turing Machine sequencer example?
Thanks Partev, I'll start with Wiki. I didn't try that because of the
confusion between the computer scientist terminology and the sequencer usage.
:)

Best wishes for 2022 (if you observe it),

Jeanette

Dec 31 2021, Partev Sarkissian has written:

> The Three State Busy Beaver looks like an interesting place to start.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_machine
> Also the book The Feynman Processor by Gerald Milburn has a good chapter on the subject of Turing machines.
> Then there is that chapter in the Csound Book on waveguides and chaos. Cool start to getting into some non linear dynamic math stuff to explore.
>
> -Partev

Baby, take the time to realize
I'm not the kind to sacrifice <3
(Britney Spears)

FromTetsuya Miwa
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Turing Machine sequencer example?
AttachmentsShiftRegister.csd
Hi Jeanette,

I wrote some articles on Linear Feedback Shift Register in Csound. They are written in Japanese, but csd files are annotated in English.
I created basic 8 bit LFSR from scratch because lfsr opcode does not have control of bit shift frequency (it is krate in lfsr opcode).
Basic concept is from Music Thing Turing Machine and Doepfer A-117, though I did not reverse-engineered the modules.
Attached csd is the final code with Cabbage GUI. I hope you find it interesting.

https://note.com/tmnkj/n/n6192459b31b2
https://note.com/tmnkj/n/n05584149e2b2

Tetsuya Miwa

> 2021/12/31 3:20、Jeanette C. のメール:
>
> Hey hey,
> does anyone have an example of a "turing machine sequencer" implemented in Csound? I think I get the basic idea, but I'd like to confirm that and don't think I'm skilled enough to read the original source code.
>
> Best wishes and thanks for any pointers,
>
> Jeanette
>
> --
> * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
> * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
> * Audiobombs: https://www.audiobombs.com/users/jeanette_c
> * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c
>
> I believe
> We all have one true love
> Somewhere in this world <3
> (Britney Spears)

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Turing Machine sequencer example?
Hello Tetsuya,
many thanks, I think this will be further great guiding in my undertaking.
Thank you for sharing this code!

Best wishes,

Jeanette

Jan 6 2022, Tetsuya Miwa has written:

> Hi Jeanette,
>
> I wrote some articles on Linear Feedback Shift Register in Csound. They are written in Japanese, but csd files are annotated in English.
> I created basic 8 bit LFSR from scratch because lfsr opcode does not have control of bit shift frequency (it is krate in lfsr opcode).
> Basic concept is from Music Thing Turing Machine and Doepfer A-117, though I did not reverse-engineered the modules.
> Attached csd is the final code with Cabbage GUI. I hope you find it interesting.
>
> https://note.com/tmnkj/n/n6192459b31b2
> https://note.com/tmnkj/n/n05584149e2b2
>
> Tetsuya Miwa

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

E-mail my heart and say our love will never die... <3
(Britney Spears)