[Csnd] Best resources for learning DX style FM with csound?

Date2021-10-01 16:03
FromIain Duncan
Subject[Csnd] Best resources for learning DX style FM with csound?
Hello list, I have a hankering to make myself an FM chord player after watching the digitone demos and almost buying one, haha. I'm curious to hear what folks think the best resources are for delving into this, as there are quite a few! (print or online). I would ultimately like to be able to use original DX patches through some form of conversion too.

thanks!

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Best resources for learning DX style FM with csound?
There’s a chapter in the Csound 2000 book on this isn’t there? Also Gleb did some work with the TX81Z

https://csound.com/icsc2019/proceedings/3.pdf

> On 1 Oct 2021, at 16:03, Iain Duncan  wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hello list, I have a hankering to make myself an FM chord player after watching the digitone demos and almost buying one, haha. I'm curious to hear what folks think the best resources are for delving into this, as there are quite a few! (print or online). I would ultimately like to be able to use original DX patches through some form of conversion too.
>
> thanks!

FromGuillermo Senna
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Best resources for learning DX style FM with csound?

Hi,

To learn it in a friendlier way maybe you can combine The Complete DX7 book with the Dexed VST (https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/), no?

Cheers.

On 1/10/21 12:03, Iain Duncan wrote:
Hello list, I have a hankering to make myself an FM chord player after watching the digitone demos and almost buying one, haha. I'm curious to hear what folks think the best resources are for delving into this, as there are quite a few! (print or online). I would ultimately like to be able to use original DX patches through some form of conversion too.

thanks!

FromRichard Knight
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Best resources for learning DX style FM with csound?

Hi

Jeff Harrington has some Csound models of the DX7 algorithms and a tool to convert original DX7 patches to be used in Csound:http://www.parnasse.com/dx72csnd.shtml

Also there's a model of the TX81z https://github.com/gleb812/cs81z which I think is what Victor referred to.

Both/either are good reference points I think.

On 2021-10-01 16:03, Iain Duncan wrote:

Hello list, I have a hankering to make myself an FM chord player after watching the digitone demos and almost buying one, haha. I'm curious to hear what folks think the best resources are for delving into this, as there are quite a few! (print or online). I would ultimately like to be able to use original DX patches through some form of conversion too.

thanks!

FromIain Duncan
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Best resources for learning DX style FM with csound?
Thanks everyone! That should get me going nicely. :-)

iain

On 2021-10-01 16:03, Iain Duncan wrote:

Hello list, I have a hankering to make myself an FM chord player after watching the digitone demos and almost buying one, haha. I'm curious to hear what folks think the best resources are for delving into this, as there are quite a few! (print or online). I would ultimately like to be able to use original DX patches through some form of conversion too.

thanks!

FromJeffrey Harrington
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Best resources for learning DX style FM with csound?

Dr. Russell Pinkston, did most of the work on the DX7 emulation! I wrote the patch converter.

Thanks!

Jeff

On 2021-10-01 16:03, Iain Duncan wrote:

Hello list, I have a hankering to make myself an FM chord player after watching the digitone demos and almost buying one, haha. I'm curious to hear what folks think the best resources are for delving into this, as there are quite a few! (print or online). I would ultimately like to be able to use original DX patches through some form of conversion too.

thanks!

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Best resources for learning DX style FM with csound?
It's Russell's chapter in the MIT press book I referred to. Worth a read.

On 2021-10-01 16:03, Iain Duncan wrote:

Hello list, I have a hankering to make myself an FM chord player after watching the digitone demos and almost buying one, haha. I'm curious to hear what folks think the best resources are for delving into this, as there are quite a few! (print or online). I would ultimately like to be able to use original DX patches through some form of conversion too.

thanks!

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Best resources for learning DX style FM with csound?
Amazing chapter and instrument.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music

On 2021-10-01 16:03, Iain Duncan wrote:

Hello list, I have a hankering to make myself an FM chord player after watching the digitone demos and almost buying one, haha. I'm curious to hear what folks think the best resources are for delving into this, as there are quite a few! (print or online). I would ultimately like to be able to use original DX patches through some form of conversion too.

thanks!

FromIain Duncan
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Best resources for learning DX style FM with csound?
Thanks everyone, I ordered the book! I had the CD from it many years ago that Dr B kindly sent me, but hadn't ordered the book, so that is now being rectified. :-)

Also, very nice to hear from Jeff, thanks, those pages are great!

My intent is to get this running on a Bela and/or Daisy for a little standalone FM synth. I'll let folks know how it goes.

On 2021-10-01 16:03, Iain Duncan wrote:

Hello list, I have a hankering to make myself an FM chord player after watching the digitone demos and almost buying one, haha. I'm curious to hear what folks think the best resources are for delving into this, as there are quite a few! (print or online). I would ultimately like to be able to use original DX patches through some form of conversion too.

thanks!

FromRichard Knight
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Best resources for learning DX style FM with csound?

Not had a look at the book for a few years and can't remember this chapter- certainly a strong reason to dig it out, I'm very fond of FM synthesis.

On 2021-10-02 14:37, Dr. Richard Boulanger wrote:

Amazing chapter and instrument.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music

Date2021-10-02 18:56
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Best resources for learning DX style FM with csound?
There are several great chapters specifically on FM and aspects covered in other chapters as well.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music

On Oct 2, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Richard Knight <richard@1bpm.net> wrote:

Richard_Knight
October 2

Not had a look at the book for a few years and can’t remember this chapter- certainly a strong reason to dig it out, I’m very fond of FM synthesis.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Date2021-10-13 23:08
FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Best resources for learning DX style FM with csound?

Anything on the subject of FM by John Chowning, at and co-founder of
CCRMA at Standford,.... as he is the guy and the place Yamaha got the
licensing from to begin with.

Slightly shameless plug, as I work for a Yamaha subsidiary,... any literature
Yamaha puts out on the subject of DX series manuals and "how to" literature.
Show algorithm signal paths,... what call "operators" and "ticklers" (oscillators
and modulators).

All digital version and renditions base on Edward Howard Armstrong's FM
radio methods from the vacuum tube days. Okay, so I'm dating myself,... sort of.

And yes, I love messing with FM too. Armstrong, and Smith and Chowning
from CCRMA, the guys.

-PBS