[Csnd] coreaudio on macOS

Date2019-08-14 18:51
FromEduardo Moguillansky
Subject[Csnd] coreaudio on macOS
Hi,

out of curiosity, since many people here seem to use macOS: is the
coreaudio driver working? I just had to debug a simple .csd running on
macOS where everything seemed upside down, channels got mixed up,
performance was terrible, etc. Just changing from coreaudio to portaudio
solved it.

---

eduardo moguillansky

FromSlobodan Ivanovic
SubjectRe: [Csnd] coreaudio on macOS
Now you said it, sometimes behaves strange and I have to kill the process of coreaudio and then open it again. Maybe it not so stable? Is portaudio better? I'm into live performanse.

Cheers

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019, 19:51 Eduardo Moguillansky, <eduardo.moguillansky@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

out of curiosity, since many people here seem to use macOS: is the
coreaudio driver working? I just had to debug a simple .csd running on
macOS where everything seemed upside down, channels got mixed up,
performance was terrible, etc. Just changing from coreaudio to portaudio
solved it.

---

eduardo moguillansky

SubjectRe: [Csnd] coreaudio on macOS
The code has not changed for a long time. I have not used it recently, but will try it.

Victor Lazzarini

> On 14 Aug 2019, at 18:52, Eduardo Moguillansky  wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> out of curiosity, since many people here seem to use macOS: is the coreaudio driver working? I just had to debug a simple .csd running on macOS where everything seemed upside down, channels got mixed up, performance was terrible, etc. Just changing from coreaudio to portaudio solved it.
>
> ---
>
> eduardo moguillansky

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] coreaudio on macOS
tested here with builtin audio and it works fine.
Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 14 Aug 2019, at 19:30, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>
> The code has not changed for a long time. I have not used it recently, but will try it.
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
>> On 14 Aug 2019, at 18:52, Eduardo Moguillansky  wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> out of curiosity, since many people here seem to use macOS: is the coreaudio driver working? I just had to debug a simple .csd running on macOS where everything seemed upside down, channels got mixed up, performance was terrible, etc. Just changing from coreaudio to portaudio solved it.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> eduardo moguillansky
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>      https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromEduardo Moguillansky
SubjectRe: [Csnd] coreaudio on macOS
This was in a setup with a MOTU audio interface connected via USB. Same
setup with Max worked fine and csound via portaudio also.

On 14.08.19 20:41, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> tested here with builtin audio and it works fine.
> ========================
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>> On 14 Aug 2019, at 19:30, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>>
>> The code has not changed for a long time. I have not used it recently, but will try it.
>>
>> Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>>
>>> On 14 Aug 2019, at 18:52, Eduardo Moguillansky  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> out of curiosity, since many people here seem to use macOS: is the coreaudio driver working? I just had to debug a simple .csd running on macOS where everything seemed upside down, channels got mixed up, performance was terrible, etc. Just changing from coreaudio to portaudio solved it.
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> eduardo moguillansky
>>>
>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] coreaudio on macOS
I heard similar reports with that particular HW, so I suspect it's always been problematic. Unfortunately, it's a hard one to debug if it does not show up elsewhere.
My experience here with RME and presonus has been ok.

Victor Lazzarini

> On 14 Aug 2019, at 20:16, Eduardo Moguillansky  wrote:
>
> This was in a setup with a MOTU audio interface connected via USB. Same setup with Max worked fine and csound via portaudio also.
>
>> On 14.08.19 20:41, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>> tested here with builtin audio and it works fine.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>>
>>> On 14 Aug 2019, at 19:30, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>>>
>>> The code has not changed for a long time. I have not used it recently, but will try it.
>>>
>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Fromrmgls
SubjectRe: [Csnd] coreaudio on macOS
Hi,

i confirm,  motu audio  mk4  has big problems,
even with logic pro X,
the connection is lost  and one must reopen logic again!!!
The  motu support was not able to solve this problem till one year!

Cheers.

Raoul MEGELAS
rmgls@orange.fr

> On 14 Aug 2019, at 21:28, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>
> I heard similar reports with that particular HW, so I suspect it's always been problematic. Unfortunately, it's a hard one to debug if it does not show up elsewhere.
> My experience here with RME and presonus has been ok.
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
>> On 14 Aug 2019, at 20:16, Eduardo Moguillansky  wrote:
>>
>> This was in a setup with a MOTU audio interface connected via USB. Same setup with Max worked fine and csound via portaudio also.
>>
>>> On 14.08.19 20:41, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>> tested here with builtin audio and it works fine.
>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>>> Maynooth University,
>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>      https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] coreaudio on macOS
does coreaudio and/or portaudio work for you on osx 10.14 (mojave) with
csoundqt?

i just did a clean install on a new machine, and even the Examples >
Getting Started > Basics > Hello World shows a delay of nearly one
second after pushing the Run button.

this was obviously introduced by some changes in osx 10.14, but now only
jack is working without these issues.

On 14/08/19 21:28, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> I heard similar reports with that particular HW, so I suspect it's always been problematic. Unfortunately, it's a hard one to debug if it does not show up elsewhere.
> My experience here with RME and presonus has been ok.
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
>> On 14 Aug 2019, at 20:16, Eduardo Moguillansky  wrote:
>>
>> This was in a setup with a MOTU audio interface connected via USB. Same setup with Max worked fine and csound via portaudio also.
>>
>>> On 14.08.19 20:41, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>> tested here with builtin audio and it works fine.
>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>>> Maynooth University,
>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] coreaudio on macOS
We discussed this here. The problem is to do with permissions from the microphone, and when CsoundQT tries to open it, it has to request the permission (every time), hence the startup delay. If you remove audio in, it does not happen.

With jack, the permission is given to jack when it starts up, then CsoundQT does not
need to request it. Same happens to Csound running on the Terminal, the permission is
given to the terminal when it is launched.

Victor Lazzarini

> On 25 Aug 2019, at 09:29, joachim heintz  wrote:
>
> does coreaudio and/or portaudio work for you on osx 10.14 (mojave) with csoundqt?
>
> i just did a clean install on a new machine, and even the Examples > Getting Started > Basics > Hello World shows a delay of nearly one second after pushing the Run button.
>
> this was obviously introduced by some changes in osx 10.14, but now only jack is working without these issues.
>

>> On 14/08/19 21:28, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>> I heard similar reports with that particular HW, so I suspect it's always been problematic. Unfortunately, it's a hard one to debug if it does not show up elsewhere.
>> My experience here with RME and presonus has been ok.
>>
>> Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>>
>>> On 14 Aug 2019, at 20:16, Eduardo Moguillansky  wrote:
>>>
>>> This was in a setup with a MOTU audio interface connected via USB. Same setup with Max worked fine and csound via portaudio also.

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>      https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] coreaudio on macOS
but why is the initial delay (~ 1 sec) kept for any live audio input?  i
just tried the Audio Thru example (Examples>Useful), and that's what
happens for me with portaudio.

i am still wondering what we can do to fix this.  i think it works for
Ardour, PD etc.

On 25/08/19 10:36, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> We discussed this here. The problem is to do with permissions from the microphone, and when CsoundQT tries to open it, it has to request the permission (every time), hence the startup delay. If you remove audio in, it does not happen.
>
> With jack, the permission is given to jack when it starts up, then CsoundQT does not
> need to request it. Same happens to Csound running on the Terminal, the permission is
> given to the terminal when it is launched.
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
>> On 25 Aug 2019, at 09:29, joachim heintz  wrote:
>>
>> does coreaudio and/or portaudio work for you on osx 10.14 (mojave) with csoundqt?
>>
>> i just did a clean install on a new machine, and even the Examples > Getting Started > Basics > Hello World shows a delay of nearly one second after pushing the Run button.
>>
>> this was obviously introduced by some changes in osx 10.14, but now only jack is working without these issues.
>>

>>> On 14/08/19 21:28, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>> I heard similar reports with that particular HW, so I suspect it's always been problematic. Unfortunately, it's a hard one to debug if it does not show up elsewhere.
>>> My experience here with RME and presonus has been ok.
>>>
>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>>

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] coreaudio on macOS
yep, any audio input. Ardour doesn’t not open and close the input every time you press play.
If CsoundQT implemented its own IO, like Cabbage, it would not happen.
Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 27 Aug 2019, at 08:34, joachim heintz  wrote:
>
> but why is the initial delay (~ 1 sec) kept for any live audio input?  i just tried the Audio Thru example (Examples>Useful), and that's what happens for me with portaudio.
>
> i am still wondering what we can do to fix this.  i think it works for Ardour, PD etc.
>

> On 25/08/19 10:36, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>> We discussed this here. The problem is to do with permissions from the microphone, and when CsoundQT tries to open it, it has to request the permission (every time), hence the startup delay. If you remove audio in, it does not happen.
>>
>> With jack, the permission is given to jack when it starts up, then CsoundQT does not
>> need to request it. Same happens to Csound running on the Terminal, the permission is
>> given to the terminal when it is launched.
>>
>> Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>>
>>> On 25 Aug 2019, at 09:29, joachim heintz  wrote:
>>>
>>> does coreaudio and/or portaudio work for you on osx 10.14 (mojave) with csoundqt?
>>>
>>> i just did a clean install on a new machine, and even the Examples > Getting Started > Basics > Hello World shows a delay of nearly one second after pushing the Run button.
>>>
>>> this was obviously introduced by some changes in osx 10.14, but now only jack is working without these issues.

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>      https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] coreaudio on macOS
AttachmentsNone  None

SubjectRe: [Csnd] coreaudio on macOS
hi tarmo -

i tried your CsoundQml prototype on a Mac (10.14).  everything is
working perfect -- no time to wait ... --- and the layout and the whole
approach is very promising.

i am wondering whether you can at any time in future create a version
which includes csound and can work as a standalone application.  the we
can send to musicians just this application with any of our pieces for
live electronics, and they just have to install it, and can start.
currently it is still much more complicated, as we know.

see you soon in cagli!

	joachim

On 27/08/19 16:56, Tarmo Johannes wrote:
> [...]
>                 Send bugs reports to
>                 https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>                 Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>

>             Csound mailing list
>             Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>             https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>             Send bugs reports to
>             https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>             Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>

>         Csound mailing list
>         Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>         https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>         Send bugs reports to
>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>         Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>

>     Csound mailing list
>     Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>     Send bugs reports to
>     https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>     Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] coreaudio on macOS
Hi,

Thanks for trying! Did you put -iadc or similar to the CsoundOptions?

Yes, currently it is really a proof-of-concept. I try to improve that a bit for demo in Cagli but really usable version is still quite far...

Tarmo

R, 6. september 2019 17:23 joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de> kirjutas:
> [...]

>                 Send bugs reports to
>                 https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>                 Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>

>             Csound mailing list
>             Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>             https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>             Send bugs reports to
>             https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>             Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>

>         Csound mailing list
>         Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>         https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>         Send bugs reports to
>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>         Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>

>     Csound mailing list
>     Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>     Send bugs reports to
>     https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>     Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

no i just tried your example, and now i am not in the studio.  but i can
try the next days.