[Csnd] Summer School

Subject[Csnd] Summer School
Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask whether there’s appetite for organising a Summer School next year?
I was thinking about it this morning and would not want us to forget
this good idea that came out of Cagli.

I’d have an “opcode devel from the ground up for csounders" course ready to go if it
was an attractivel thing to people.

best

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Summer School
It really depends on where and when. Early summer would be Ok I think. And preferably not a million miles away..

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 14:26, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask whether there’s appetite for organising a Summer School next year?
I was thinking about it this morning and would not want us to forget
this good idea that came out of Cagli.

I’d have an “opcode devel from the ground up for csounders" course ready to go if it
was an attractivel thing to people.

best

FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Summer School
That summer school sounds like music to my ears

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 15:39, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
It really depends on where and when. Early summer would be Ok I think. And preferably not a million miles away..

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 14:26, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask whether there’s appetite for organising a Summer School next year?
I was thinking about it this morning and would not want us to forget
this good idea that came out of Cagli.

I’d have an “opcode devel from the ground up for csounders" course ready to go if it
was an attractivel thing to people.

best

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Summer School
i like this idea very much, too.

i think we should not have one but some summer schools.  one in
maynooth, one in hannover, one in ...

could we perhaps in the next time fix the dates?  the one in hannover
would probably be in july or august.

it might be good to have different periods so that we can travel to
other summer schools before or after our own.  and the subjects will be
rather different, i think.  so perhaps someone even makes a summer
school tour ...

On 29/11/2019 20:50, Hlöðver Sigurðsson wrote:
> That summer school sounds like music to my ears
>
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 15:39, Rory Walsh  > wrote:
>
>     It really depends on where and when. Early summer would be Ok I
>     think. And preferably not a million miles away..
>
>     On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 14:26, Victor Lazzarini
>     > wrote:
>
>         Hi everyone,
>
>         I wanted to ask whether there’s appetite for organising a Summer
>         School next year?
>         I was thinking about it this morning and would not want us to
>         forget
>         this good idea that came out of Cagli.
>
>         I’d have an “opcode devel from the ground up for csounders"
>         course ready to go if it
>         was an attractivel thing to people.
>
>         best
>         Send bugs reports to
>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>         Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>     https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>     features can be posted here

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

FromDa'ud Vyd
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Summer School
I'd be interested in a course or workshop about using CSOUND from Python or through a DAW via Cabbage. When and where would it happen?

On Nov 29, 2019 10:06 PM, joachim heintz <jh@JOACHIMHEINTZ.DE> wrote:

i like this idea very much, too.

i think we should not have one but some summer schools.  one in
maynooth, one in hannover, one in ...

could we perhaps in the next time fix the dates?  the one in hannover
would probably be in july or august.

it might be good to have different periods so that we can travel to
other summer schools before or after our own.  and the subjects will be
rather different, i think.  so perhaps someone even makes a summer
school tour ...

On 29/11/2019 20:50, Hlöðver Sigurðsson wrote:
> That summer school sounds like music to my ears
>
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 15:39, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie
> <mailto:rorywalsh@ear.ie>> wrote:
>
>     It really depends on where and when. Early summer would be Ok I
>     think. And preferably not a million miles away..
>
>     On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 14:26, Victor Lazzarini
>     <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie <mailto:Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie>> wrote:
>
>         Hi everyone,
>
>         I wanted to ask whether there’s appetite for organising a Summer
>         School next year?
>         I was thinking about it this morning and would not want us to
>         forget
>         this good idea that came out of Cagli.
>
>         I’d have an “opcode devel from the ground up for csounders"
>         course ready to go if it
>         was an attractivel thing to people.
>
>         best
>         Send bugs reports to
>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>         Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

>     <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>     https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>     features can be posted here

> <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

FromFrancois PINOT
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Summer School
Meanwhile you can have a look here: https://csound.com/docs/ctcsound/ and there (chapter 12): https://csound-floss.firebaseapp.com/

François

Le ven. 29 nov. 2019 à 23:08, Da'ud Vyd <d.vyd@outlook.com> a écrit :
I'd be interested in a course or workshop about using CSOUND from Python or through a DAW via Cabbage. When and where would it happen?

On Nov 29, 2019 10:06 PM, joachim heintz <jh@JOACHIMHEINTZ.DE> wrote:

i like this idea very much, too.

i think we should not have one but some summer schools.  one in
maynooth, one in hannover, one in ...

could we perhaps in the next time fix the dates?  the one in hannover
would probably be in july or august.

it might be good to have different periods so that we can travel to
other summer schools before or after our own.  and the subjects will be
rather different, i think.  so perhaps someone even makes a summer
school tour ...

On 29/11/2019 20:50, Hlöðver Sigurðsson wrote:
> That summer school sounds like music to my ears
>
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 15:39, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie
> <mailto:rorywalsh@ear.ie>> wrote:
>
>     It really depends on where and when. Early summer would be Ok I
>     think. And preferably not a million miles away..
>
>     On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 14:26, Victor Lazzarini
>     <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie <mailto:Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie>> wrote:
>
>         Hi everyone,
>
>         I wanted to ask whether there’s appetite for organising a Summer
>         School next year?
>         I was thinking about it this morning and would not want us to
>         forget
>         this good idea that came out of Cagli.
>
>         I’d have an “opcode devel from the ground up for csounders"
>         course ready to go if it
>         was an attractivel thing to people.
>
>         best
>         Send bugs reports to
>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>         Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

>     <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>     https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>     features can be posted here

> <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

FromDa'ud Vyd
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Summer School
Thank you François!

>>>Meanwhile you can have a look here: https://csound.com/docs/ctcsound/ and there (chapter 12): https://csound-floss.firebaseapp.com/

Date2019-11-30 16:38
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Summer School
I was also wondering if we could run some of these schools as online courses. I think this is quite feasible. Gleb gave a remote lecture to my MA class last week using Zoom and it worked really well.

On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 at 12:11, Da'ud Vyd <d.vyd@outlook.com> wrote:
Thank you François!

>>>Meanwhile you can have a look here: https://csound.com/docs/ctcsound/ and there (chapter 12): https://csound-floss.firebaseapp.com/

FromPete Goodeve
Subject[Csnd] Jupyter Notebooks (was Re: [Csnd] Summer School)
AttachmentsNone

Date2019-12-01 08:36
FromFrancois PINOT
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Jupyter Notebooks (was Re: [Csnd] Summer School)
This sometimes happens with github. Retrying generally works. If it still doesn't work, you can go to this site https://nbviewer.jupyter.org/ and paste the link to the notebook you want to see. Then, clicking the Go! button it should render the notebook.

François

Le dim. 1 déc. 2019 à 03:16, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org> a écrit :
On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 09:39:15AM +0100, Francois PINOT wrote:
> Meanwhile you can have a look here: https://csound.com/docs/ctcsound/

Can someone please hint as to how to use 'Jupyter Notebooks"?

Using Linux(Mint)/Firefox, I get to the Github page that the contents in
the above link points to, and the loading spinner shows for a while, only
to end up with "Something went wrong.  Reload?"  [No clue as to what!]

I run NoScript, but I made sure there were no blocked sources.

Help appreciated.

        -- Pete --

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Jupyter Notebooks (was Re: [Csnd] Summer School)
AttachmentsNone

Date2019-12-02 01:13
FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Jupyter Notebooks (was Re: [Csnd] Summer School)
AttachmentsNone

Date2019-12-02 07:00
FromFrancois PINOT
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Jupyter Notebooks (was Re: [Csnd] Summer School)
Locally, the command to start jupyter is:

jupyter notebook

It will starts the jupyter server on your machine and open a client page in your browser. From this client page you can load notebooks.

François

Le lun. 2 déc. 2019 à 02:14, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org> a écrit :
On Sun, Dec 01, 2019 at 01:39:30PM -0800, Pete Goodeve wrote:

> OK -- I'm looking at the parent cookbook page on Github, and I guess
> I have to install everything locally.  I'll try that.

I'm sorry, but I think if you're going to expect people to use Jupyter,
you had better provide some explicit and clear instructions! [I consider
this Jupyter's fault]

I think I have successfully installed Jupyter, basically following the
instructions on the ctcsound Github page (with some hiccups such as missing
'setuptools'), but I'm not getting any further.

First, I tried to download the first notebook from Github, and it just
hangs!  The download was even unquittable!  Eventually done by quitting
Firefox, restarting, and *then* was able to kill the download...

I opened the page as 'raw' and was then able to save the contents
directly to '01-the-ctcsound-module.ipynb'

According to my understanding of the Jupyter website, I should then
be able to type 'jupyter 01-the-ctcsound-module.ipynb' to start it
up, but it just complains that it can't find
'jupyter-01-the-ctcsound-module.ipynb'!

I've tried various permutations but haven't found the magic.
Giving up for now...

        -- Pete --

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Summer School
Although I understand the idea of having more than one, if they happen too close to each other, we risk diluting them, or competing against each other.

I prefer if we have one per Summer. We could have a Winter one or a Summer in the Southern Hemisphere.

Given my fluid situation at the moment, I can't offer to host one in 2020, but may be possible to do it in 21.

Another thing: we should make a decision about the next conference location. If there is a Chinese proposal we need to hear it now. Otherwise we should look for alternatives. Time is passing.

> On 29 Nov 2019, at 20:06, joachim heintz  wrote:
>
> i like this idea very much, too.
>
> i think we should not have one but some summer schools.  one in maynooth, one in hannover, one in ...
>
> could we perhaps in the next time fix the dates?  the one in hannover would probably be in july or august.
>
> it might be good to have different periods so that we can travel to other summer schools before or after our own.  and the subjects will be rather different, i think.  so perhaps someone even makes a summer school tour ...

>> On 29/11/2019 20:50, Hlöðver Sigurðsson wrote:
>> That summer school sounds like music to my ears
>> On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 15:39, Rory Walsh > wrote:
>>    It really depends on where and when. Early summer would be Ok I
>>    think. And preferably not a million miles away..
>>    On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 14:26, Victor Lazzarini
>>    > wrote:
>>        Hi everyone,
>>        I wanted to ask whether there’s appetite for organising a Summer
>>        School next year?
>>        I was thinking about it this morning and would not want us to
>>        forget
>>        this good idea that came out of Cagli.
>>        I’d have an “opcode devel from the ground up for csounders"
>>        course ready to go if it
>>        was an attractivel thing to people.
>>        best
>>        Send bugs reports to
>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>        Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>>    Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>
>>    https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>>    https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromDa'ud Vyd
Subject[Csnd] Slack
I read in a message on this list that there is a CSound Slack workspace. Can I receive an invite?

On Dec 2, 2019 3:13 AM, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@COMPUTER.ORG> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 01, 2019 at 01:39:30PM -0800, Pete Goodeve wrote:

> OK -- I'm looking at the parent cookbook page on Github, and I guess
> I have to install everything locally.  I'll try that.

I'm sorry, but I think if you're going to expect people to use Jupyter,
you had better provide some explicit and clear instructions! [I consider
this Jupyter's fault]

I think I have successfully installed Jupyter, basically following the
instructions on the ctcsound Github page (with some hiccups such as missing
'setuptools'), but I'm not getting any further.

First, I tried to download the first notebook from Github, and it just
hangs!  The download was even unquittable!  Eventually done by quitting
Firefox, restarting, and *then* was able to kill the download...

I opened the page as 'raw' and was then able to save the contents
directly to '01-the-ctcsound-module.ipynb'

According to my understanding of the Jupyter website, I should then
be able to type 'jupyter 01-the-ctcsound-module.ipynb' to start it
up, but it just complains that it can't find
'jupyter-01-the-ctcsound-module.ipynb'!

I've tried various permutations but haven't found the magic.
Giving up for now...

-- Pete --

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Summer School
I'd be interested to take part in a Csound Summer School. Could
present a "Developer Bootcamp" or a "Live Coding for Composing and
Performance" or "Composing in ORC" (no score, just code) session(s) if
that is of interest. I don't think I could handle setting up hosting
for 2020. Also, July-August would be good for me.

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 9:16 AM Victor Lazzarini  wrote:

> Although I understand the idea of having more than one, if they happen too close to each other, we risk diluting them, or competing against each other.
>
> I prefer if we have one per Summer. We could have a Winter one or a Summer in the Southern Hemisphere.
>
> Given my fluid situation at the moment, I can't offer to host one in 2020, but may be possible to do it in 21.
>
> Another thing: we should make a decision about the next conference location. If there is a Chinese proposal we need to hear it now. Otherwise we should look for alternatives. Time is passing.

> > On 29 Nov 2019, at 20:06, joachim heintz  wrote:
> >
> > i like this idea very much, too.
> >
> > i think we should not have one but some summer schools.  one in maynooth, one in hannover, one in ...
> >
> > could we perhaps in the next time fix the dates?  the one in hannover would probably be in july or august.
> >
> > it might be good to have different periods so that we can travel to other summer schools before or after our own.  and the subjects will be rather different, i think.  so perhaps someone even makes a summer school tour ...

> >> On 29/11/2019 20:50, Hlöðver Sigurðsson wrote:
> >> That summer school sounds like music to my ears
> >> On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 15:39, Rory Walsh > wrote:
> >>    It really depends on where and when. Early summer would be Ok I
> >>    think. And preferably not a million miles away..
> >>    On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 14:26, Victor Lazzarini
> >>    > wrote:
> >>        Hi everyone,
> >>        I wanted to ask whether there’s appetite for organising a Summer
> >>        School next year?
> >>        I was thinking about it this morning and would not want us to
> >>        forget
> >>        this good idea that came out of Cagli.
> >>        I’d have an “opcode devel from the ground up for csounders"
> >>        course ready to go if it
> >>        was an attractivel thing to people.
> >>        best
> >>        Send bugs reports to
> >>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> >>        Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
> >>    Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> >>
> >>    https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
> >>    https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
> >
> > Csound mailing list
> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Slack
I don't think you need an invite, you can just join (Csound, not CSound).

On 2 Dec 2019, at 16:38, Da'ud Vyd <d.vyd@outlook.com> wrote:

I read in a message on this list that there is a CSound Slack workspace. Can I receive an invite?

On Dec 2, 2019 3:13 AM, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@COMPUTER.ORG> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 01, 2019 at 01:39:30PM -0800, Pete Goodeve wrote:

> OK -- I'm looking at the parent cookbook page on Github, and I guess
> I have to install everything locally.  I'll try that.

I'm sorry, but I think if you're going to expect people to use Jupyter,
you had better provide some explicit and clear instructions! [I consider
this Jupyter's fault]

I think I have successfully installed Jupyter, basically following the
instructions on the ctcsound Github page (with some hiccups such as missing
'setuptools'), but I'm not getting any further.

First, I tried to download the first notebook from Github, and it just
hangs!  The download was even unquittable!  Eventually done by quitting
Firefox, restarting, and *then* was able to kill the download...

I opened the page as 'raw' and was then able to save the contents
directly to '01-the-ctcsound-module.ipynb'

According to my understanding of the Jupyter website, I should then
be able to type 'jupyter 01-the-ctcsound-module.ipynb' to start it
up, but it just complains that it can't find
'jupyter-01-the-ctcsound-module.ipynb'!

I've tried various permutations but haven't found the magic.
Giving up for now...

-- Pete --

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Slack
There is a Slack signup link here:

https://csound.com/community.html

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 2:04 PM Victor Lazzarini  wrote:

> I don't think you need an invite, you can just join (Csound, not CSound).

> On 2 Dec 2019, at 16:38, Da'ud Vyd  wrote:
>
> I read in a message on this list that there is a CSound Slack workspace. Can I receive an invite?
>
> On Dec 2, 2019 3:13 AM, Pete Goodeve  wrote:
>
> On Sun, Dec 01, 2019 at 01:39:30PM -0800, Pete Goodeve wrote:
> >
> > OK -- I'm looking at the parent cookbook page on Github, and I guess
> > I have to install everything locally.  I'll try that.
> >
> I'm sorry, but I think if you're going to expect people to use Jupyter,
> you had better provide some explicit and clear instructions! [I consider
> this Jupyter's fault]
>
> I think I have successfully installed Jupyter, basically following the
> instructions on the ctcsound Github page (with some hiccups such as missing
> 'setuptools'), but I'm not getting any further.
>
> First, I tried to download the first notebook from Github, and it just
> hangs!  The download was even unquittable!  Eventually done by quitting
> Firefox, restarting, and *then* was able to kill the download...
>
> I opened the page as 'raw' and was then able to save the contents
> directly to '01-the-ctcsound-module.ipynb'
>
> According to my understanding of the Jupyter website, I should then
> be able to type 'jupyter 01-the-ctcsound-module.ipynb' to start it
> up, but it just complains that it can't find
> 'jupyter-01-the-ctcsound-module.ipynb'!
>
> I've tried various permutations but haven't found the magic.
> Giving up for now...
>
> -- Pete --

FromDa'ud Vyd
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Jupyter Notebooks (was Re: [Csnd] Summer School)
AttachmentsNone

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Summer School
So do I hear Joachim proposing Hannover for the first Csound Summer School in 2020?

> On 2 Dec 2019, at 18:53, Steven Yi  wrote:
>
> I'd be interested to take part in a Csound Summer School. Could
> present a "Developer Bootcamp" or a "Live Coding for Composing and
> Performance" or "Composing in ORC" (no score, just code) session(s) if
> that is of interest. I don't think I could handle setting up hosting
> for 2020. Also, July-August would be good for me.
>
> On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 9:16 AM Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>>
>> Although I understand the idea of having more than one, if they happen too close to each other, we risk diluting them, or competing against each other.
>>
>> I prefer if we have one per Summer. We could have a Winter one or a Summer in the Southern Hemisphere.
>>
>> Given my fluid situation at the moment, I can't offer to host one in 2020, but may be possible to do it in 21.
>>
>> Another thing: we should make a decision about the next conference location. If there is a Chinese proposal we need to hear it now. Otherwise we should look for alternatives. Time is passing.
>>
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>>
>>> On 29 Nov 2019, at 20:06, joachim heintz  wrote:
>>>
>>> i like this idea very much, too.
>>>
>>> i think we should not have one but some summer schools.  one in maynooth, one in hannover, one in ...
>>>
>>> could we perhaps in the next time fix the dates?  the one in hannover would probably be in july or august.
>>>
>>> it might be good to have different periods so that we can travel to other summer schools before or after our own.  and the subjects will be rather different, i think.  so perhaps someone even makes a summer school tour ...

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>      https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Summer School
i think we need more discussion about how we imagine this.  as i said i
prefer some  summer schools, not one central summer school.  not much
traveling, more a meeting than teaching.  one of them i would like to
have in hannover, yes, if there is a reasonable group of people interested.

still too early for me to decide though.  in spring i can say something
about the summer.