[Csnd] problem using Soundfonts

Date2021-01-31 16:00
FromMenno Knevel
Subject[Csnd] problem using Soundfonts
(i still can't use Nabble, so i have to reply via heanet, there is no reply option)

few days ago i filed an issue as i seem to have lost the ability to use the Flyuidsynth opcodes as well.
Here is the link: https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1424
and your problem look a lot like mine.

It might have to do with a change in the API of Fluidsynth 2. But i am not a developer.

SubjectRe: [Csnd] problem using Soundfonts
There was a minor but breaking change in the FluidSynth API with version 2. The difference is shown in this code from opcodes/fluidOpcodes.cpp:

#if (FLUIDSYNTH_VERSION_MAJOR >= 2)
      // TODO: Change -1 to a configurable FX group?
      fluid_synth_chorus_on(fluidSynth, -1, chorusEnabled);
      fluid_synth_reverb_on(fluidSynth, -1, reverbEnabled);
#else
      fluid_synth_set_chorus_on(fluidSynth, chorusEnabled);
      fluid_synth_set_reverb_on(fluidSynth, reverbEnabled);
#endif

I have not been able to figure out how to get the Csound build to detect the FluidSynth version. Perhaps somebody else can do that. In the meantime, you can do a local build with the correct function for your version of FluidSynth. Just edit fluidOpcodes to use the correct FluidSynth API or version, for example if you have version 2:

#define FLUIDSYNTH_VERSION_MAJOR 2
#if (FLUIDSYNTH_VERSION_MAJOR >= 2)
      // TODO: Change -1 to a configurable FX group?
      fluid_synth_chorus_on(fluidSynth, -1, chorusEnabled);
      fluid_synth_reverb_on(fluidSynth, -1, reverbEnabled);
#else
      fluid_synth_set_chorus_on(fluidSynth, chorusEnabled);
      fluid_synth_set_reverb_on(fluidSynth, reverbEnabled);
#endif

If you don't want to build Csound yourself, then uninstall FluidSynth and find an earlier version of FluidSynth to reinstall.

Hope this helps,

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 4:18 AM Menno Knevel <magknevel@gmail.com> wrote:
(i still can't use Nabble, so i have to reply via heanet, there is no reply option)

few days ago i filed an issue as i seem to have lost the ability to use the Flyuidsynth opcodes as well.
Here is the link: https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1424
and your problem look a lot like mine.

It might have to do with a change in the API of Fluidsynth 2. But i am not a developer.

Fromfrancesco
SubjectRe: [Csnd] problem using Soundfonts
thanks all,

at Menno:
thanks for confirming i'm not a total idiot!
(and for your work on manual).

at Michael:

i tried your suggestion but bulding Csound i get this:

/home/fra/csound/Opcodes/fluidOpcodes/fluidOpcodes.cpp: In member
function 'int32_t FluidEngine::init(CSOUND*)':
/home/fra/csound/Opcodes/fluidOpcodes/fluidOpcodes.cpp:123:3: error:
'fluid_synth_chorus_on' was not declared in this scope; did you mean
'fluid_synth_set_chorus_on'?
   123 |   fluid_synth_chorus_on(fluidSynth, -1, chorusEnabled);
       |   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
       |   fluid_synth_set_chorus_on
/home/fra/csound/Opcodes/fluidOpcodes/fluidOpcodes.cpp:124:3: error:
'fluid_synth_reverb_on' was not declared in this scope; did you mean
'fluid_synth_set_reverb_on'?
   124 |   fluid_synth_reverb_on(fluidSynth, -1, reverbEnabled);
       |   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
       |   fluid_synth_set_reverb_on

at John:

--Csound version 6.15 (double samples) Feb  1 2021
[commit: d6a7e152488cb42dab47eb31396fa917d5af2f81]

Fromfrancesco
SubjectRe: [Csnd] problem using Soundfonts
Hello again,

so i have installed fluidsynth version 1.1.11 from source (changing
library path to /usr/local/lib instead of /usr/local/lib64) and then
rebuild Csound and it seems that fluidsynth opcodes are working.

Now i have to verify if i have broken some other software using
libfluidsynth ...

Anyway,

Thanks all,

ciao,

francesco.

Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd] problem using Soundfonts
In my tree I have /usr/include/fluidsynth/version.h
which includesthe definitions

#define FLUIDSYNTH_VERSION       "1.1.11"           /**< String constant
of libf
luidsynth version. */
#define FLUIDSYNTH_VERSION_MAJOR 1     /**< libfluidsynth major version
integer
constant. */
#define FLUIDSYNTH_VERSION_MINOR 1     /**< libfluidsynth minor version
integer
constant. */
#define FLUIDSYNTH_VERSION_MICRO 11     /**< libfluidsynth micro version
integer
  constant. */

Are they not also in fluidsynth2?

On Mon, 1 Feb 2021, Michael Gogins wrote:

> There was a minor but breaking change in the FluidSynth API with version 2.
> The difference is shown in this code from opcodes/fluidOpcodes.cpp:
> #if (FLUIDSYNTH_VERSION_MAJOR >= 2)
>       // TODO: Change -1 to a configurable FX group?
>       fluid_synth_chorus_on(fluidSynth, -1, chorusEnabled);
>       fluid_synth_reverb_on(fluidSynth, -1, reverbEnabled);
> #else
>       fluid_synth_set_chorus_on(fluidSynth, chorusEnabled);
>       fluid_synth_set_reverb_on(fluidSynth, reverbEnabled);
> #endif
>
> I have not been able to figure out how to get the Csound build to detect the
> FluidSynth version. Perhaps somebody else can do that. In the meantime, you
> can do a local build with the correct function for your version of FluidSynth.
> Just edit fluidOpcodes to use the correct FluidSynth API or version, for
> example if you have version 2:
>
> #define FLUIDSYNTH_VERSION_MAJOR 2
> #if (FLUIDSYNTH_VERSION_MAJOR >= 2)
>       // TODO: Change -1 to a configurable FX group?
>       fluid_synth_chorus_on(fluidSynth, -1, chorusEnabled);
>       fluid_synth_reverb_on(fluidSynth, -1, reverbEnabled);
> #else
>       fluid_synth_set_chorus_on(fluidSynth, chorusEnabled);
>       fluid_synth_set_reverb_on(fluidSynth, reverbEnabled);
> #endif
>
> If you don't want to build Csound yourself, then uninstall FluidSynth and find
> an earlier version of FluidSynth to reinstall.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mike

> Michael Gogins
> Irreducible Productions
> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 4:18 AM Menno Knevel  wrote:
>       (i still can't use Nabble, so i have to reply via heanet, there is
>       no reply option)
>
>       few days ago i filed an issue as i seem to have lost the ability
>       to use the Flyuidsynth opcodes as well.
>       Here is the link: https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1424
>       and your problem look a lot like mine.
>
>       It might have to do with a change in the API of Fluidsynth 2. But
>       i am not a developer.
>
>       Csound mailing list
>       Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>       https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>       Send bugs reports to
>               https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>       Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
> be posted here

SubjectRe: [Csnd] problem using Soundfonts
They are, I think, but this was not enough for the conditional compilation to succeed.