[Csnd] [ANN] Learn Synthesis: Subtractive

Subject[Csnd] [ANN] Learn Synthesis: Subtractive
Hi All,

I thought I'd mention an update to the Learn Synthesis site I've been
working on with the addition of a new module for Subtractive
Synthesis:

https://kunstmusik.github.io/subtractive

It's still a little barebones but I thought it worth showing at this
point as I think some of the bigger picture is coming along.  This
example has options for source oscillator waveform type (vco2
sawtooth, square, and triangle) as well as filter types (none, 2pole
and 4pole LPF) and filter cutoff slider.  There are buttons to trigger
notes (C3, C4, and C5) as well as a button to start and stop a random
note generator process.  A spectral analyzer (based on code by Victor
from the WebAudio Csound examples) shows the spectrum.

The spectral analyzer is a reusable component and I will be adding it
to the additive synthesis example as well as future modules for
AM/RM/FM and so on.  I'll be modifying the analyzer to add log
frequency and other features as time permits.

Hope the site will be useful either directly or as a code example for
building web csound applications.

All best!
Steven

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [ANN] Learn Synthesis: Subtractive
I get a 404 with that link Steven?

On Tue 8 Sep 2020, 8:06 a.m. Steven Yi, <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Ah, thanks for reporting that, I see what happened. It worked when I
went to https://kunstmusik.github.io/learn-synthesis/ first, then hit
"Subtractive Synthesis".  The page has a router component and it works
once the page is loaded but it doesn't Take into account being served
from a non-root URL I'll work on fixing that now, but until then going
to https://kunstmusik.github.io/learn-synthesis/ should do the job.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 3:15 AM Rory Walsh  wrote:

> I get a 404 with that link Steven?
>
> On Tue 8 Sep 2020, 8:06 a.m. Steven Yi,  wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I thought I'd mention an update to the Learn Synthesis site I've been
>> working on with the addition of a new module for Subtractive
>> Synthesis:
>>
>> https://kunstmusik.github.io/subtractive
>>
>> It's still a little barebones but I thought it worth showing at this
>> point as I think some of the bigger picture is coming along.  This
>> example has options for source oscillator waveform type (vco2
>> sawtooth, square, and triangle) as well as filter types (none, 2pole
>> and 4pole LPF) and filter cutoff slider.  There are buttons to trigger
>> notes (C3, C4, and C5) as well as a button to start and stop a random
>> note generator process.  A spectral analyzer (based on code by Victor
>> from the WebAudio Csound examples) shows the spectrum.
>>
>> The spectral analyzer is a reusable component and I will be adding it
>> to the additive synthesis example as well as future modules for
>> AM/RM/FM and so on.  I'll be modifying the analyzer to add log
>> frequency and other features as time permits.
>>
>> Hope the site will be useful either directly or as a code example for
>> building web csound applications.
>>
>> All best!
>> Steven
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [ANN] Learn Synthesis: Subtractive
Thanks Steven, that does the trick! Any chance you might add the spectrogram to the Csound WebIDE?

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 3:15 AM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

> I get a 404 with that link Steven?
>
> On Tue 8 Sep 2020, 8:06 a.m. Steven Yi, <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I thought I'd mention an update to the Learn Synthesis site I've been
>> working on with the addition of a new module for Subtractive
>> Synthesis:
>>
>> https://kunstmusik.github.io/subtractive
>>
>> It's still a little barebones but I thought it worth showing at this
>> point as I think some of the bigger picture is coming along.  This
>> example has options for source oscillator waveform type (vco2
>> sawtooth, square, and triangle) as well as filter types (none, 2pole
>> and 4pole LPF) and filter cutoff slider.  There are buttons to trigger
>> notes (C3, C4, and C5) as well as a button to start and stop a random
>> note generator process.  A spectral analyzer (based on code by Victor
>> from the WebAudio Csound examples) shows the spectrum.
>>
>> The spectral analyzer is a reusable component and I will be adding it
>> to the additive synthesis example as well as future modules for
>> AM/RM/FM and so on.  I'll be modifying the analyzer to add log
>> frequency and other features as time permits.
>>
>> Hope the site will be useful either directly or as a code example for
>> building web csound applications.
>>
>> All best!
>> Steven
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [ANN] Learn Synthesis: Subtractive
Thanks again Rory, I've modified the site to use a HashRouter. The
URL's now work whether you go to the main site first or to the direct
link due to the insertion of hashes. The direct link for the
subtractive synth page is now:

https://kunstmusik.github.io/learn-synthesis/#/subtractive

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 4:12 AM Steven Yi  wrote:

> Ah, thanks for reporting that, I see what happened. It worked when I
> went to https://kunstmusik.github.io/learn-synthesis/ first, then hit
> "Subtractive Synthesis".  The page has a router component and it works
> once the page is loaded but it doesn't Take into account being served
> from a non-root URL I'll work on fixing that now, but until then going
> to https://kunstmusik.github.io/learn-synthesis/ should do the job.
>
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 3:15 AM Rory Walsh  wrote:
> >
> > I get a 404 with that link Steven?
> >
> > On Tue 8 Sep 2020, 8:06 a.m. Steven Yi,  wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I thought I'd mention an update to the Learn Synthesis site I've been
> >> working on with the addition of a new module for Subtractive
> >> Synthesis:
> >>
> >> https://kunstmusik.github.io/subtractive
> >>
> >> It's still a little barebones but I thought it worth showing at this
> >> point as I think some of the bigger picture is coming along.  This
> >> example has options for source oscillator waveform type (vco2
> >> sawtooth, square, and triangle) as well as filter types (none, 2pole
> >> and 4pole LPF) and filter cutoff slider.  There are buttons to trigger
> >> notes (C3, C4, and C5) as well as a button to start and stop a random
> >> note generator process.  A spectral analyzer (based on code by Victor
> >> from the WebAudio Csound examples) shows the spectrum.
> >>
> >> The spectral analyzer is a reusable component and I will be adding it
> >> to the additive synthesis example as well as future modules for
> >> AM/RM/FM and so on.  I'll be modifying the analyzer to add log
> >> frequency and other features as time permits.
> >>
> >> Hope the site will be useful either directly or as a code example for
> >> building web csound applications.
> >>
> >> All best!
> >> Steven
> >>
> >> Csound mailing list
> >> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> >> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> >> Send bugs reports to
> >>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> >> Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [ANN] Learn Synthesis: Subtractive
The spectral analyzer view is already there in the Web-IDE. ;)  It's
located under the view menu option. (There's a bug where you after you
it it, the tab opens up but it doesn't become the selected view and
you have to hit the tab to get it to be selected.)  I'm listening to
Stria and watching the analyzer now... :D   (And before anyone
comments, besides a log-frequency view, axis labelling is a known
issue.)

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 4:29 AM Rory Walsh  wrote:

> Thanks Steven, that does the trick! Any chance you might add the spectrogram to the Csound WebIDE?
>
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 09:12, Steven Yi  wrote:
>>
>> Ah, thanks for reporting that, I see what happened. It worked when I
>> went to https://kunstmusik.github.io/learn-synthesis/ first, then hit
>> "Subtractive Synthesis".  The page has a router component and it works
>> once the page is loaded but it doesn't Take into account being served
>> from a non-root URL I'll work on fixing that now, but until then going
>> to https://kunstmusik.github.io/learn-synthesis/ should do the job.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 3:15 AM Rory Walsh  wrote:
>> >
>> > I get a 404 with that link Steven?

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [ANN] Learn Synthesis: Subtractive
Thanks Steven, I'm still relatively new to the web IDE. ;)

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 4:29 AM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

> Thanks Steven, that does the trick! Any chance you might add the spectrogram to the Csound WebIDE?
>
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 09:12, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ah, thanks for reporting that, I see what happened. It worked when I
>> went to https://kunstmusik.github.io/learn-synthesis/ first, then hit
>> "Subtractive Synthesis".  The page has a router component and it works
>> once the page is loaded but it doesn't Take into account being served
>> from a non-root URL I'll work on fixing that now, but until then going
>> to https://kunstmusik.github.io/learn-synthesis/ should do the job.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 3:15 AM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
>> >
>> > I get a 404 with that link Steven?

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] [ANN] Learn Synthesis: Subtractive
It’s great to have a spectral analyser, what about a scope? That would be very handy,

> On 8 Sep 2020, at 10:26, Rory Walsh  wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Thanks Steven, I'm still relatively new to the web IDE. ;)
>
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 09:45, Steven Yi  wrote:
> The spectral analyzer view is already there in the Web-IDE. ;)  It's
> located under the view menu option. (There's a bug where you after you
> it it, the tab opens up but it doesn't become the selected view and
> you have to hit the tab to get it to be selected.)  I'm listening to
> Stria and watching the analyzer now... :D   (And before anyone
> comments, besides a log-frequency view, axis labelling is a known
> issue.)
>
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 4:29 AM Rory Walsh  wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Steven, that does the trick! Any chance you might add the spectrogram to the Csound WebIDE?
> >
> > On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 09:12, Steven Yi  wrote:
> >>
> >> Ah, thanks for reporting that, I see what happened. It worked when I
> >> went to https://kunstmusik.github.io/learn-synthesis/ first, then hit
> >> "Subtractive Synthesis".  The page has a router component and it works
> >> once the page is loaded but it doesn't Take into account being served
> >> from a non-root URL I'll work on fixing that now, but until then going
> >> to https://kunstmusik.github.io/learn-synthesis/ should do the job.

> >> Csound mailing list
> >> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> >> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> >> Send bugs reports to
> >>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> >> Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromMarcelo Carneiro de Lima
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [ANN] Learn Synthesis: Subtractive
Thank you!!
Best
Marcelo

Em ter., 8 de set. de 2020 às 05:12, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> escreveu:
Ah, thanks for reporting that, I see what happened. It worked when I
went to https://kunstmusik.github.io/learn-synthesis/ first, then hit
"Subtractive Synthesis".  The page has a router component and it works
once the page is loaded but it doesn't Take into account being served
from a non-root URL I'll work on fixing that now, but until then going
to https://kunstmusik.github.io/learn-synthesis/ should do the job.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 3:15 AM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

> I get a 404 with that link Steven?
>
> On Tue 8 Sep 2020, 8:06 a.m. Steven Yi, <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I thought I'd mention an update to the Learn Synthesis site I've been
>> working on with the addition of a new module for Subtractive
>> Synthesis:
>>
>> https://kunstmusik.github.io/subtractive
>>
>> It's still a little barebones but I thought it worth showing at this
>> point as I think some of the bigger picture is coming along.  This
>> example has options for source oscillator waveform type (vco2
>> sawtooth, square, and triangle) as well as filter types (none, 2pole
>> and 4pole LPF) and filter cutoff slider.  There are buttons to trigger
>> notes (C3, C4, and C5) as well as a button to start and stop a random
>> note generator process.  A spectral analyzer (based on code by Victor
>> from the WebAudio Csound examples) shows the spectrum.
>>
>> The spectral analyzer is a reusable component and I will be adding it
>> to the additive synthesis example as well as future modules for
>> AM/RM/FM and so on.  I'll be modifying the analyzer to add log
>> frequency and other features as time permits.
>>
>> Hope the site will be useful either directly or as a code example for
>> building web csound applications.
>>
>> All best!
>> Steven
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Marcelo Carneiro
(21) 9382-3621
(21) 3497-0193

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [ANN] Learn Synthesis: Subtractive
Wonderful work Steven.  Can't wait to show and share in my Csound and DSP classes next week

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music