[Csnd] connection between amplitude, loudness and frequency

Date2021-03-14 11:25
FromStefan Thomas
Subject[Csnd] connection between amplitude, loudness and frequency
Dear community,
as we all know, pitches with the same amplitude seem to be louder if the frequency is higher.
Can one say how much louder seems to by e.g. 880 Hz  than e.g. 110 Hz with same amplitude, let's say 0.5?
I would like to transfer  this relations to an ftable.
Would You suggest to use decibel values or raw amplitudes  for this purpose?
Thanks for Your help,
Stefan

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] connection between amplitude, loudness and frequency
Look at this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sone

and

https://csound.com/docs/manual/GENsone.html

> On 14 Mar 2021, at 11:25, Stefan Thomas  wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Dear community,
> as we all know, pitches with the same amplitude seem to be louder if the frequency is higher.
> Can one say how much louder seems to by e.g. 880 Hz  than e.g. 110 Hz with same amplitude, let's say 0.5?
> I would like to transfer  this relations to an ftable.
> Would You suggest to use decibel values or raw amplitudes  for this purpose?
> Thanks for Your help,
> Stefan

FromStefan Thomas
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] connection between amplitude, loudness and frequency
Dear Victor,
thanks very much for Your links. I will study them.
All the best,
Stefan

Am So., 14. März 2021 um 12:41 Uhr schrieb Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie>:
Look at this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sone

and

https://csound.com/docs/manual/GENsone.html

> On 14 Mar 2021, at 11:25, Stefan Thomas <kontrapunktstefan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Dear community,
> as we all know, pitches with the same amplitude seem to be louder if the frequency is higher.
> Can one say how much louder seems to by e.g. 880 Hz  than e.g. 110 Hz with same amplitude, let's say 0.5?
> I would like to transfer  this relations to an ftable.
> Would You suggest to use decibel values or raw amplitudes  for this purpose?
> Thanks for Your help,
> Stefan

FromStefan Thomas
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] connection between amplitude, loudness and frequency
Dear Victor, dear community,
I would like to ask a question concerning GENsone. I've read in the manual that the syntax of the opcode is
f # time size "sone" start end equalpoint rescale
There's also an example for a ftable  with this opcode:
f 2 0 16385 "sone" 0 32000 32000 0
I would like to what this value 32000 stands for. Is it a value for frequency? And is there a special reason for the value 16385 as the given size for the ftable?
Thanks for Your help!
Stefan

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] connection between amplitude, loudness and frequency
16385 is a table size 16384 with extended guard point (guard point that is an extension of the curve).

32000 is the max value of the interval (0,32000) in which this function is drawn, and 32000 is where input and output of the function are the same value.

The sone function as applied in the example maps an input amplitude to the SONE scale. The scale itself is not frequency dependent.

John wrote this GEN, he might know more.