[Csnd] New piece: Time Crystal Canon

Date2024-02-28 19:58
FromDave Seidel
Subject[Csnd] New piece: Time Crystal Canon
Hi folks.

Here is a new Csound+blue piece called Time Crystal Canon. I am experimenting with EDO tunings (6 of them, in fact) instead of my usual just intonation. This piece is also much shorter than usual, though I suspect that I will be doing more work in this vein at greater length. Please note that you can download this for free ($0). I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks,
Dave

Fromgiovanni damiani <00000f31ffed4c22-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New piece: Time Crystal Canon
Hi Dave,
Wonderful music at all, as simple as ingenious and effective! Also the sounds very fascinating in subtle way. Bravo.
As in a canon I suspect there is a form of construction or costraint, (I am curious to see on Blue environment) but the music result flowing and inspired.
Giovanni

Il giorno 28 feb 2024, alle ore 20:58, Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@GMAIL.COM> ha scritto:

Hi folks.

Here is a new Csound+blue piece called Time Crystal Canon. I am experimenting with EDO tunings (6 of them, in fact) instead of my usual just intonation. This piece is also much shorter than usual, though I suspect that I will be doing more work in this vein at greater length. Please note that you can download this for free ($0). I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks,
Dave

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New piece: Time Crystal Canon
Thanks, Giovanni! I will soon add the blue project to my Github archive for Csound music. https://github.com/DaveSeidel/music-src

- Dave

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 4:01 PM giovanni damiani <00000f31ffed4c22-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
[...]

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New piece: Time Crystal Canon
Hi Dave!
Feb 28 2024, Dave Seidel has written:
> https://mysterybear.bandcamp.com/track/time-crystal-canon
Many thanks for sharing your latest piece. As little as I can comment
musically, I can - and want to - comment on the sound. :) I liked the
instrument(s) that you used. Simple sounding, but effective. How did you
create the timbre? It almost sounds like a small piano sample at times.

Also good reverb. Is it the trusty old screverb with good settings?

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

If there's nothing missing in my life
Then why do these tears come at night <3
(Britney Spears)

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] New piece: Time Crystal Canon
That’s a great piece, thanks for sharing. The plucked sounds are really nice, they work very well
with the sustained sounds.

best

> On 28 Feb 2024, at 19:58, Dave Seidel  wrote:
>
> *Warning*
> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hi folks.
>
> Here is a new Csound+blue piece called Time Crystal Canon. I am experimenting with EDO tunings (6 of them, in fact) instead of my usual just intonation. This piece is also much shorter than usual, though I suspect that I will be doing more work in this vein at greater length. Please note that you can download this for free ($0). I hope you enjoy it.
>
> https://mysterybear.bandcamp.com/track/time-crystal-canon
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
> ---
> http://mysterybear.net https://mysterybear.bandcamp.com
> https://www.youtube.com/c/DaveSeidel
> https://www.instagram.com/daveseidel/
> https://www.discogs.com/artist/286209-David-Seidel
> https://www.facebook.com/mysterybear
> https://soundcloud.com/mysterybear
> https://github.com/DaveSeidel
> https://mstdn.social/@DaveSeidel (@DaveSeidel@mstdn.social)
>
> Involution on XI Records Records: https://mysterybear.bandcamp.com/album/involution

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New piece: Time Crystal Canon
Thanks, Jeanette! I wrote this using blue, and I used a couple of instruments that are part of the blue instrument collection combined with sine waves. The bell/gong part comes from an instrument that uses several instances of the mode opcode. The pluck part comes from another instrument that uses the pluck opcode. When I'm at my other computer later, I can provide more details. Also, I will soon upload the blue project along with the CSD rendering. You will be able to read the CSD to see all the instruments and UDO's that I used. But basically, each note is gong/bell + pluck + sine.

- Dave

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 6:32 PM Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:
Hi Dave!
Feb 28 2024, Dave Seidel has written:
> https://mysterybear.bandcamp.com/track/time-crystal-canon
Many thanks for sharing your latest piece. As little as I can comment
musically, I can - and want to - comment on the sound. :) I liked the
instrument(s) that you used. Simple sounding, but effective. How did you
create the timbre? It almost sounds like a small piano sample at times.

Also good reverb. Is it the trusty old screverb with good settings?

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

If there's nothing missing in my life
Then why do these tears come at night <3
(Britney Spears)

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] New piece: Time Crystal Canon
Thanks, Victor. See my reply to Jeanette in this thread for a description of how it works.

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 2:58 PM Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi folks.

Here is a new Csound+blue piece called Time Crystal Canon. I am experimenting with EDO tunings (6 of them, in fact) instead of my usual just intonation. This piece is also much shorter than usual, though I suspect that I will be doing more work in this vein at greater length. Please note that you can download this for free ($0). I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks,
Dave

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New piece: Time Crystal Canon
Hi Dave,
many thanks for sharing your project's source code!

Best wishes,

Jeanette

Mar 7 2024, Dave Seidel has written:

> I have uploaded source code for Time Crystal Canon to my Guthub music
> repository:
> https://github.com/DaveSeidel/music-src/tree/master/time-crystal-canon
>
> Blue project:
> https://github.com/DaveSeidel/music-src/blob/master/time-crystal-canon/time-crystal-canon.blue
>
> CSD rendered by blue:
> https://github.com/DaveSeidel/music-src/blob/master/time-crystal-canon/time-crystal-canon.csd
> Raw CSD (hopefully better for screen readers):
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DaveSeidel/music-src/master/time-crystal-canon/time-crystal-canon.csd
>

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 2:58 PM Dave Seidel  wrote:
>
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> Here is a new Csound+blue piece called Time Crystal Canon. I am
>> experimenting with EDO tunings (6 of them, in fact) instead of my usual
>> just intonation. This piece is also much shorter than usual, though I
>> suspect that I will be doing more work in this vein at greater length.
>> Please note that you can download this for free ($0). I hope you enjoy it.
>>
>> https://mysterybear.bandcamp.com/track/time-crystal-canon
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave
>>
>> ---