[Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support

Date2019-10-31 16:24
FromSyl Morrison
Subject[Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support
Hi all,
Working on a project which needs to conserve RAM, and we decided to try sf3, on trying to load in the new sf3 file the terminal gives a warning saying "Sound font version is 3.1 but fluidsynth was compiled without support for (v3.x)", wondering if this is an issue related to my installed version of csound or if the latest csound is compiled using a pre sf3 version of fluidsynth?

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support
The fluidsynth plugin opcodes use version 1.x. There was a discussion about bringing these up to 3.x but we need a maintainer to take up this project.

Ideally these should be taken into their own repo and maintained separate from
Csound.

On 31 Oct 2019, at 16:24, Syl Morrison <honoonu@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,
Working on a project which needs to conserve RAM, and we decided to try sf3, on trying to load in the new sf3 file the terminal gives a warning saying "Sound font version is 3.1 but fluidsynth was compiled without support for (v3.x)", wondering if this is an issue related to my installed version of csound or if the latest csound is compiled using a pre sf3 version of fluidsynth?

FromSyl Morrison
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support
What kind of level of C++ knowledge would be required for this? I'd be interested in giving it a go but I don't have a huge amount of experience!

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 6:58 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
The fluidsynth plugin opcodes use version 1.x. There was a discussion about bringing these up to 3.x but we need a maintainer to take up this project.

Ideally these should be taken into their own repo and maintained separate from
Csound.

On 31 Oct 2019, at 16:24, Syl Morrison <honoonu@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,
Working on a project which needs to conserve RAM, and we decided to try sf3, on trying to load in the new sf3 file the terminal gives a warning saying "Sound font version is 3.1 but fluidsynth was compiled without support for (v3.x)", wondering if this is an issue related to my installed version of csound or if the latest csound is compiled using a pre sf3 version of fluidsynth?

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support
Have a look at the existing code and see if it makes any sense to you

https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/Opcodes/fluidOpcodes/fluidOpcodes.cpp

On 31 Oct 2019, at 19:39, Syl Morrison <honoonu@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Just had a quick look, it's surprisingly not terrifying me, I have a deadline for November 4th then November 8th then I'd be up for giving it a shot!

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019, 20:56 Victor Lazzarini, <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
[...]

FromMenno Knevel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support
the Csound Fluid opcodes can handle sf3 soundfonts, for example:
Created fluidEngine 0x0x7fa7bd74ae60 with sampling rate = 48000.000000,
chorus on, reverb on, channels 256, voices 4096.
fluidSynth: 0x0x7fa7bd74ae60  soundFontId: 1.
SoundFont:   1  Bank:   0  Preset:   0  Steinway Grand
SoundFont:   1  Bank:   0  Preset:   1  Steinway Bright
SoundFont:   1  Bank:   0  Preset:   2  CP-80Piano
SoundFont:   1  Bank:   0  Preset:   3  Honky-tonk EMU2
SoundFont:   1  Bank:   0  Preset:   4  RHODES _0_4

it takes some time to expand the soundfont instruments as i believe sf3 is a
compression method.

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

FromSyl Morrison
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support
Not sure why I'm getting the error then, was this added in the latest version of csound/does it require fluidsynth to be compiled independently? Version of csound is v recent, was installed with my install of cabbage, tested on Windows 10

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 4:55 PM Menno Knevel <magknevel@gmail.com> wrote:
the Csound Fluid opcodes can handle sf3 soundfonts, for example:
Created fluidEngine 0x0x7fa7bd74ae60 with sampling rate = 48000.000000,
chorus on, reverb on, channels 256, voices 4096.
fluidSynth: 0x0x7fa7bd74ae60  soundFontId: 1.
SoundFont:   1  Bank:   0  Preset:   0  Steinway Grand
SoundFont:   1  Bank:   0  Preset:   1  Steinway Bright
SoundFont:   1  Bank:   0  Preset:   2  CP-80Piano
SoundFont:   1  Bank:   0  Preset:   3  Honky-tonk EMU2
SoundFont:   1  Bank:   0  Preset:   4  RHODES _0_4

it takes some time to expand the soundfont instruments as i believe sf3 is a
compression method.

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support
AttachmentsNone

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support
If the fluid opcodes are there, you don't need  anything. The fluidsynth lib version is 1.x,
I thought the question was about upgrading it to the latest version of the lib.

On 2 Nov 2019, at 02:50, Syl Morrison <honoonu@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

My understanding is that the APi has changed, but I could be wrong.

> On 2 Nov 2019, at 06:36, Pete Goodeve  wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 02:49:50AM +0000, Syl Morrison wrote:
>> Not sure why I'm getting the error then, was this added in the latest
>> version of csound/does it require fluidsynth to be compiled independently?
>> Version of csound is v recent, was installed with my install of cabbage,
>> tested on Windows 10
>
> As far as I know, Csound and Fluidsynth are always installed independently
> -- certainly on Linux -- and I think the API has remained compatible
> over its versions.  Certainly if Csound works with a version that handles
> SF3s (as Menno has shown) that must be so.
>
> The error message you got is not in Csound, anyway.  I've searched! (:-))
> I've also been looking at the current fluidsynth 2.1 source (hoping it
> might be buildable on my system -- not as yet...),  and it doesn't seem to
> have any option *not* to handle sf3 files.  It just knows about them
> automatically.
>
> Maybe that error message was in some fluidsynth version when they were
> intending to implement sf3 but hadn't yet.  What's ther version number
> on your libtary?
>
>    -- Pete --

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromSyl Morrison
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support
Sorry to perform necromancy on this thread, just about to try this on Ubuntu, praying it'll work, Victor if the API has changed since the Csound distro should it be just a case of building FluidSynth independently of Csound, or is a lot more complicated or am I completely misunderstanding?

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 8:15 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
My understanding is that the APi has changed, but I could be wrong.

> On 2 Nov 2019, at 06:36, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 02:49:50AM +0000, Syl Morrison wrote:
>> Not sure why I'm getting the error then, was this added in the latest
>> version of csound/does it require fluidsynth to be compiled independently?
>> Version of csound is v recent, was installed with my install of cabbage,
>> tested on Windows 10
>
> As far as I know, Csound and Fluidsynth are always installed independently
> -- certainly on Linux -- and I think the API has remained compatible
> over its versions.  Certainly if Csound works with a version that handles
> SF3s (as Menno has shown) that must be so.
>
> The error message you got is not in Csound, anyway.  I've searched! (:-))
> I've also been looking at the current fluidsynth 2.1 source (hoping it
> might be buildable on my system -- not as yet...),  and it doesn't seem to
> have any option *not* to handle sf3 files.  It just knows about them
> automatically.
>
> Maybe that error message was in some fluidsynth version when they were
> intending to implement sf3 but hadn't yet.  What's ther version number
> on your libtary?
>
>    -- Pete --

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support
So here’s what I meant. We use the Fluidsynth library version 1.x, the new versions 2.x have a different API so the
opcodes will need to be re-written.

Version 2.1.0 claims to work with SF3. I don’t know if the versions we use support it.

> On 9 Dec 2019, at 16:36, Syl Morrison  wrote:
>
> Sorry to perform necromancy on this thread, just about to try this on Ubuntu, praying it'll work, Victor if the API has changed since the Csound distro should it be just a case of building FluidSynth independently of Csound, or is a lot more complicated or am I completely misunderstanding?
>
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 8:15 AM Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
> My understanding is that the APi has changed, but I could be wrong.

> > On 2 Nov 2019, at 06:36, Pete Goodeve  wrote:
> >
> >> On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 02:49:50AM +0000, Syl Morrison wrote:
> >> Not sure why I'm getting the error then, was this added in the latest
> >> version of csound/does it require fluidsynth to be compiled independently?
> >> Version of csound is v recent, was installed with my install of cabbage,
> >> tested on Windows 10
> >
> > As far as I know, Csound and Fluidsynth are always installed independently
> > -- certainly on Linux -- and I think the API has remained compatible
> > over its versions.  Certainly if Csound works with a version that handles
> > SF3s (as Menno has shown) that must be so.
> >
> > The error message you got is not in Csound, anyway.  I've searched! (:-))
> > I've also been looking at the current fluidsynth 2.1 source (hoping it
> > might be buildable on my system -- not as yet...),  and it doesn't seem to
> > have any option *not* to handle sf3 files.  It just knows about them
> > automatically.
> >
> > Maybe that error message was in some fluidsynth version when they were
> > intending to implement sf3 but hadn't yet.  What's ther version number
> > on your libtary?
> >
> >    -- Pete --
> >
> > Csound mailing list
> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromSyl Morrison
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support
(Update: ) SF3 seems to load on a Jetson Nano running Ubuntu LTS 17.04, using the API from C++, so I guess the version in Csound does support it,  but the load times compared to SF2 are huge (like 10 seconds per sf3 file), which is a bit of a worry because the program is hopefully gonna involve roughly realtime IO +/- a few secs, is that a SF3 thing, or an optimisation thing? I seem to recall reading about a similar thing in this article https://github.com/kunstmusik/blue/wiki/Fond-of-Soundfont but was wondering if there's a workaround?

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 4:36 PM Syl Morrison <honoonu@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry to perform necromancy on this thread, just about to try this on Ubuntu, praying it'll work, Victor if the API has changed since the Csound distro should it be just a case of building FluidSynth independently of Csound, or is a lot more complicated or am I completely misunderstanding?

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 8:15 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
My understanding is that the APi has changed, but I could be wrong.

> On 2 Nov 2019, at 06:36, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 02:49:50AM +0000, Syl Morrison wrote:
>> Not sure why I'm getting the error then, was this added in the latest
>> version of csound/does it require fluidsynth to be compiled independently?
>> Version of csound is v recent, was installed with my install of cabbage,
>> tested on Windows 10
>
> As far as I know, Csound and Fluidsynth are always installed independently
> -- certainly on Linux -- and I think the API has remained compatible
> over its versions.  Certainly if Csound works with a version that handles
> SF3s (as Menno has shown) that must be so.
>
> The error message you got is not in Csound, anyway.  I've searched! (:-))
> I've also been looking at the current fluidsynth 2.1 source (hoping it
> might be buildable on my system -- not as yet...),  and it doesn't seem to
> have any option *not* to handle sf3 files.  It just knows about them
> automatically.
>
> Maybe that error message was in some fluidsynth version when they were
> intending to implement sf3 but hadn't yet.  What's ther version number
> on your libtary?
>
>    -- Pete --

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support
As far I’ve read, SF3 stores data in OGG so fluidsynth may be decoding the whole thing first before loading it into memory. That
would explain the delay.

> On 9 Dec 2019, at 16:51, Syl Morrison  wrote:
>
> (Update: ) SF3 seems to load on a Jetson Nano running Ubuntu LTS 17.04, using the API from C++, so I guess the version in Csound does support it,  but the load times compared to SF2 are huge (like 10 seconds per sf3 file), which is a bit of a worry because the program is hopefully gonna involve roughly realtime IO +/- a few secs, is that a SF3 thing, or an optimisation thing? I seem to recall reading about a similar thing in this article https://github.com/kunstmusik/blue/wiki/Fond-of-Soundfont but was wondering if there's a workaround?
>
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 4:36 PM Syl Morrison  wrote:
> Sorry to perform necromancy on this thread, just about to try this on Ubuntu, praying it'll work, Victor if the API has changed since the Csound distro should it be just a case of building FluidSynth independently of Csound, or is a lot more complicated or am I completely misunderstanding?
>
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 8:15 AM Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
> My understanding is that the APi has changed, but I could be wrong.

> > On 2 Nov 2019, at 06:36, Pete Goodeve  wrote:
> >
> >> On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 02:49:50AM +0000, Syl Morrison wrote:
> >> Not sure why I'm getting the error then, was this added in the latest
> >> version of csound/does it require fluidsynth to be compiled independently?
> >> Version of csound is v recent, was installed with my install of cabbage,
> >> tested on Windows 10
> >
> > As far as I know, Csound and Fluidsynth are always installed independently
> > -- certainly on Linux -- and I think the API has remained compatible
> > over its versions.  Certainly if Csound works with a version that handles
> > SF3s (as Menno has shown) that must be so.
> >
> > The error message you got is not in Csound, anyway.  I've searched! (:-))
> > I've also been looking at the current fluidsynth 2.1 source (hoping it
> > might be buildable on my system -- not as yet...),  and it doesn't seem to
> > have any option *not* to handle sf3 files.  It just knows about them
> > automatically.
> >
> > Maybe that error message was in some fluidsynth version when they were
> > intending to implement sf3 but hadn't yet.  What's ther version number
> > on your libtary?
> >
> >    -- Pete --
> >
> > Csound mailing list
> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromEduardo Moguillansky
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support

sf3 format is just sf2 with ogg support. You can easily convert sf3 to sf2 with the polyphone editor in ubuntu

On 09.12.19 17:51, Syl Morrison wrote:
(Update: ) SF3 seems to load on a Jetson Nano running Ubuntu LTS 17.04, using the API from C++, so I guess the version in Csound does support it,  but the load times compared to SF2 are huge (like 10 seconds per sf3 file), which is a bit of a worry because the program is hopefully gonna involve roughly realtime IO +/- a few secs, is that a SF3 thing, or an optimisation thing? I seem to recall reading about a similar thing in this article https://github.com/kunstmusik/blue/wiki/Fond-of-Soundfont but was wondering if there's a workaround?

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 4:36 PM Syl Morrison <honoonu@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry to perform necromancy on this thread, just about to try this on Ubuntu, praying it'll work, Victor if the API has changed since the Csound distro should it be just a case of building FluidSynth independently of Csound, or is a lot more complicated or am I completely misunderstanding?

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 8:15 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
My understanding is that the APi has changed, but I could be wrong.

> On 2 Nov 2019, at 06:36, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 02:49:50AM +0000, Syl Morrison wrote:
>> Not sure why I'm getting the error then, was this added in the latest
>> version of csound/does it require fluidsynth to be compiled independently?
>> Version of csound is v recent, was installed with my install of cabbage,
>> tested on Windows 10
>
> As far as I know, Csound and Fluidsynth are always installed independently
> -- certainly on Linux -- and I think the API has remained compatible
> over its versions.  Certainly if Csound works with a version that handles
> SF3s (as Menno has shown) that must be so.
>
> The error message you got is not in Csound, anyway.  I've searched! (:-))
> I've also been looking at the current fluidsynth 2.1 source (hoping it
> might be buildable on my system -- not as yet...),  and it doesn't seem to
> have any option *not* to handle sf3 files.  It just knows about them
> automatically.
>
> Maybe that error message was in some fluidsynth version when they were
> intending to implement sf3 but hadn't yet.  What's ther version number
> on your libtary?
>
>    -- Pete --

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromSyl Morrison
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support
The allure of sf3 was really the smaller sizes but I guess it still has to load all the samples into ram, so the solution would be to condense the sf2s to WAY SMALLER files (I've only got 3gb ram + 1.7gb swap on the Jetson Nano), cheers for your time guys!

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 5:02 PM Eduardo Moguillansky <eduardo.moguillansky@gmail.com> wrote:

sf3 format is just sf2 with ogg support. You can easily convert sf3 to sf2 with the polyphone editor in ubuntu

On 09.12.19 17:51, Syl Morrison wrote:
(Update: ) SF3 seems to load on a Jetson Nano running Ubuntu LTS 17.04, using the API from C++, so I guess the version in Csound does support it,  but the load times compared to SF2 are huge (like 10 seconds per sf3 file), which is a bit of a worry because the program is hopefully gonna involve roughly realtime IO +/- a few secs, is that a SF3 thing, or an optimisation thing? I seem to recall reading about a similar thing in this article https://github.com/kunstmusik/blue/wiki/Fond-of-Soundfont but was wondering if there's a workaround?

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 4:36 PM Syl Morrison <honoonu@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry to perform necromancy on this thread, just about to try this on Ubuntu, praying it'll work, Victor if the API has changed since the Csound distro should it be just a case of building FluidSynth independently of Csound, or is a lot more complicated or am I completely misunderstanding?

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 8:15 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
My understanding is that the APi has changed, but I could be wrong.

> On 2 Nov 2019, at 06:36, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 02:49:50AM +0000, Syl Morrison wrote:
>> Not sure why I'm getting the error then, was this added in the latest
>> version of csound/does it require fluidsynth to be compiled independently?
>> Version of csound is v recent, was installed with my install of cabbage,
>> tested on Windows 10
>
> As far as I know, Csound and Fluidsynth are always installed independently
> -- certainly on Linux -- and I think the API has remained compatible
> over its versions.  Certainly if Csound works with a version that handles
> SF3s (as Menno has shown) that must be so.
>
> The error message you got is not in Csound, anyway.  I've searched! (:-))
> I've also been looking at the current fluidsynth 2.1 source (hoping it
> might be buildable on my system -- not as yet...),  and it doesn't seem to
> have any option *not* to handle sf3 files.  It just knows about them
> automatically.
>
> Maybe that error message was in some fluidsynth version when they were
> intending to implement sf3 but hadn't yet.  What's ther version number
> on your libtary?
>
>    -- Pete --

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support
The thing is, I am not sure fluidsynth stores SF3 as compressed data, then decodes on-the-fly. The delay you reported seems to indicate otherwise. So you only save disk space, not RAM, if this is true.

> [...]
>> > automatically.
>> >
>> > Maybe that error message was in some fluidsynth version when they were
>> > intending to implement sf3 but hadn't yet.  What's ther version number
>> > on your libtary?
>> >
>> >    -- Pete --
>> >
>> > Csound mailing list
>> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>> > Send bugs reports to
>> >        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromSyl Morrison
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Fluidsynth SF3 Support
yeah I'm still getting a warning from fluidsynth saying "Could not pin soundfont data to ram" even when the sf3 DOES load in, so I think you're right about it just saving disk space, good to know anyway!