[Csnd] CSDs around the internet: copyright and such

Date2024-01-16 01:18
FromRichard Knight
Subject[Csnd] CSDs around the internet: copyright and such
I'm putting together a website with a curated/submitted collection of
Csound compositions which can be played in the browser and source files
downloaded.

I have a basic prototype here with files I've found around the internet:
https://compositions.csound.1bpm.net/

However not all of these have any clear copyright/license details so at
the moment they exist on the site tenuously.. Some are gathered from
other sites with collections of other people's compositions such as
https://freaknet.org/martin/audio/csound/

Would it be best practice to try and reach out to all of the composers
(I've looked and not all have contact details available), if no explicit
license - assuming generally if there's no license then it's
copyright/not to reproduce - or assume if it's shared online they'd be
happy for it to be shared onward?
I have included links and details for each of the compositions I've
found as much as possible & any suggestions/feedback are appreciated.

FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
SubjectRe: [Csnd] CSDs around the internet: copyright and such
Wasn't there a CsLicense XML tag allowed in CSD files?

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 at 02:26, Richard Knight <richard@1bpm.net> wrote:
[...]

FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd] CSDs around the internet: copyright and such
Unless someone has removed it there is a Cs section for licences including some common licences with a short code or a full text.

==John ffitch

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 at 02:26, Richard Knight  wrote:

> I'm putting together a website with a curated/submitted collection of
> Csound compositions which can be played in the browser and source files
> downloaded.
>
> I have a basic prototype here with files I've found around the internet:
> https://compositions.csound.1bpm.net/
>
> However not all of these have any clear copyright/license details so at
> the moment they exist on the site tenuously.. Some are gathered from
> other sites with collections of other people's compositions such as
> https://freaknet.org/martin/audio/csound/
>
> Would it be best practice to try and reach out to all of the composers
> (I've looked and not all have contact details available), if no explicit
> license - assuming generally if there's no license then it's
> copyright/not to reproduce - or assume if it's shared online they'd be
> happy for it to be shared onward?
> I have included links and details for each of the compositions I've
> found as much as possible & any suggestions/feedback are appreciated.

FromRichard Knight
SubjectRe: [Csnd] CSDs around the internet: copyright and such
Yes there is - but it's rarely used from what I've seen.

On 2024-01-16 11:27, John ff wrote:
> Unless someone has removed it there is a Cs section for licences
> including some common licences with a short code or a full text.
>
> ==John ffitch

The CsLicence tag exists, works, and its contents are printed to the console (using csoundMessage) when Csound runs. I use it not only for the licence declaration, but also for program notes and bio.

On 2024-01-16 11:27, John ff wrote:
> Unless someone has removed it there is a Cs section for licences
> including some common licences with a short code or a full text.
>
> ==John ffitch

would enforcing SPDX identifier make sense for intellectual property like computer music as it makes sense for software packaging.
This came to my mind when you mention that you put program notes there into the license field, a standard enforcing mechanism wouldn't detect it, but then again, there's no standard being enforced anywhere in csound anyway (this is also potentially bad news for anti-copyrighters)

On 2024-01-16 11:27, John ff wrote:
> Unless someone has removed it there is a Cs section for licences
> including some common licences with a short code or a full text.
>
> ==John ffitch

FromStéphane Rollandin
SubjectRe: [Csnd] CSDs around the internet: copyright and such
> I'm putting together a website with a curated/submitted collection of
> Csound compositions which can be played in the browser and source files
> downloaded.
>
> I have a basic prototype here with files I've found around the internet:
> https://compositions.csound.1bpm.net/

I propose this piece of mine, Ressac:
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/Ressac.csd

No licence in the CSD, but since the Reson 6 orchestra is from Stephen
Yi it is his choice to make it public or not (I got it from his blog).
If the piece makes it to the collection, I can give whatever licence to
the score that works the best for you.

The score was composed with muO:
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm

Stef