[Csnd] white, grey and black

Subject[Csnd] white, grey and black
Here’s a question for you guys who are savvy in this business of generative music.

I am trying to categorise systems into three boxes:

black (you put stuff in and get stuff out),
grey (you need to design the processes a bit and then put some particular data in and get outputs),
white (you need to design the process and the data going in etc)

So now, would this be correct?

Black: Magenta Studio, MusicVAE; MuseNet, Jukebox;

Grey: Common Music/Grace; ?

White: Csound, SuperCollider, Pd, Web Audio, etc

Thanks

Fromluis jure
SubjectRe: [Csnd] white, grey and black
Since I never ever heard of any of the systems in the black box, could anyone please explain me briefly what is the nature of the "stuff" you put in and what kind of "stuff" you get out?

--
Sent from a mobile device
Enviado desde el móvil

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] white, grey and black
Anything really: words, scores, audio, images, etc
and get something musical out in the usual forms (audio, MIDI, score)

> On 11 Jan 2024, at 12:38, luis jure  wrote:
>
> *Warning*
> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Since I never ever heard of any of the systems in the black box, could anyone please explain me briefly what is the nature of the "stuff" you put in and what kind of "stuff" you get out?
>

> --
> Sent from a mobile device
> Enviado desde el móvil

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] white, grey and black
Interesting question. Perhaps all the systems will be categorized as varying degrees of gray... ;-)
But your initial outline seems ok.
Then it depends perhaps just as much on what kind user you are (?). If one uses instruments that other people have written in Csound, it is perhaps similar (in terms of "gray-ness") to using Common Music? and then if one uses Common Music to design one's own routines, it is just as "transparent/white" as Csound and the others in that category.

best
Øyvind

tor. 11. jan. 2024 kl. 11:46 skrev Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie>:
Here’s a question for you guys who are savvy in this business of generative music.

I am trying to categorise systems into three boxes:

black (you put stuff in and get stuff out),
grey (you need to design the processes a bit and then put some particular data in and get outputs),
white (you need to design the process and the data going in etc)

So now, would this be correct?

Black: Magenta Studio, MusicVAE; MuseNet, Jukebox;

Grey: Common Music/Grace; ?

White: Csound, SuperCollider, Pd, Web Audio, etc

Thanks

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] white, grey and black
I guess so. I was thinking more with regards to event generation, but it's hard to draw lines.

[...]

Fromlj
On 2024-01-11 11:57, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> Anything really: words, scores, audio, images, etc
> and get something musical out in the usual forms (audio, MIDI, score)
I see. So they would be generative AI systems, right?
I'm interested in generative music myself, but I'm not at all "savvy".
I'm interested actually in procedural music. I wrote some simple Python
functions to generate or process musical elements (like lines, chords,
sequences of pitches, intervals or durations, etc.) , and I use music21
functions to convert that into MusicXML and/or MIDI data.
I haven't done anything with Csound or "computer music", though, I'm
more interested in instrumental music right now.
My approach is very basic, but I used these functions extensively in my
latest orchestral piece, premiered a month ago.
It's a very short piece (six minutes), here's the recording, in case
anyone is interested:

https://we.tl/t-8ruI23K5hN

One caveat: the score includes a tuba part, but the tuba player didn't
show up for the concert... As you can imagine, this spoiled the effect
of a couple of passages. Other than that, the performance is pretty
decent for an orchestra with the level of an European small town orchestra.