[Csnd] Code/audio Examples of filters from recent Lazzarini papers?

Date2023-10-30 15:00
FromIain Duncan
Subject[Csnd] Code/audio Examples of filters from recent Lazzarini papers?
Hi Csounders, and specifically Victor, I am wondering if there are either csound code and/or audio examples anywhere of the filter designs in two of Victor's more recent papers:

"Improving the Chamberlin Digital State Variable Filter"
"Linear and Nonlinear Digital Filters: From the Analog and Beyond"

thanks!
iain

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Code/audio Examples of filters from recent Lazzarini papers?
svn, skf, and spf are the opcodes from those papers.

https://csound.com/manual/skf.html

On 30 Oct 2023, at 15:01, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

Hi Csounders, and specifically Victor, I am wondering if there are either csound code and/or audio examples anywhere of the filter designs in two of Victor's more recent papers:

"Improving the Chamberlin Digital State Variable Filter"
"Linear and Nonlinear Digital Filters: From the Analog and Beyond"

thanks!
iain

FromIain Duncan
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Code/audio Examples of filters from recent Lazzarini papers?
Fantastic, thanks Victor. I look forward to trying them out. :-)

iain

On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 8:14 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
[...]

Follow up question for Victor (or others) - are there other recent filter implementation opcodes in the same general domain from say the last 10 years? (Either in core or in plugins)

thanks
iain

On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 8:24 AM Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

There are a number, you need to look in the manual.

On 30 Oct 2023, at 15:41, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Right - but the reason I ask here is because I would not have known to look for "svn" in the manual from the paper, and it's not clear in the manual from which papers the opcodes come. (At least, I didn't see an opcode mentioned in the paper I read).  That might be an interesting/helpful thing to add to the manual.

I will take a perusal through what is there though

iain

On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 8:45 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
[...]

Ah I see some of the entries do provide source references and some do not. I look forward to checking these out! I have the Pirckle books, so nice to see Steven did a bunch of those.

thanks
iain

On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 9:02 AM Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Code/audio Examples of filters from recent Lazzarini papers?
Oh, Hooray. I did not know about these. What a gift! Thanks.

man. 30. okt. 2023 kl. 16:14 skrev Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie>:
[...]

Damn, that svn filter sounds great! Thanks for this, Victor, I will absolutely be using it.

The Pirkle k25 filters are also very nice. Stevent, thanks for doing those!

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 1:26 AM Oeyvind Brandtsegg <obrandts@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

That’s good to hear. You can also make it nasty by trying different nonlinear transfer functions.

> On 31 Oct 2023, at 22:32, Iain Duncan  wrote:
>
> Damn, that svn filter sounds great! Thanks for this, Victor, I will absolutely be using it.
>
> The Pirkle k25 filters are also very nice. Stevent, thanks for doing those!
>

> On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 1:26 AM Oeyvind Brandtsegg  wrote:
> Oh, Hooray. I did not know about these. What a gift! Thanks.
>
> man. 30. okt. 2023 kl. 16:14 skrev Victor Lazzarini :
> svn, skf, and spf are the opcodes from those papers.
>
> https://csound.com/manual/svn.html
>  https://csound.com/manual/spf.html
> https://csound.com/manual/skf.html

>> On 30 Oct 2023, at 15:01, Iain Duncan  wrote:
>>
>>  *Warning*
>> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>> Hi Csounders, and specifically Victor, I am wondering if there are either csound code and/or audio examples anywhere of the filter designs in two of Victor's more recent papers:
>>
>> "Improving the Chamberlin Digital State Variable Filter"
>> "Linear and Nonlinear Digital Filters: From the Analog and Beyond"
>>
>> thanks!
>> iain
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Code/audio Examples of filters from recent Lazzarini papers?
Yes,... Pirkle does some good work. Have some of his books
and accompanying software associated with the books. Definitely
worth exploring. I think k25 is in one of the soft synth patches,
I'll have to look at that again.

-Partev

On Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 10:33:06 PM GMT, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I especially appreciate that you put a-ready-to run demo csd in the manual that demonstrates the distortion and drive well.

And of course I meant to type K35.... oops!

iain

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 3:47 PM Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
[...]

K35,... Korg filter?

-Partev

[...]