[Csnd] Array Limit

Date2023-10-29 07:51
FromPhilipp Neumann
Subject[Csnd] Array Limit
Hello everybody!

In my current composition i work with algorithmically generated arrays which are fed to csound for composition parameters.
No i have the problem that inside csound there is a limit to the length of arrays (1999). Which annoys me a lot. And i’m asking myself if this is necessary at all?
Is there a reason for this? and is there a workaround?

Best,
Philipp

FromST Music
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Array Limit
Hi Philipp, that indeed seems odd. I don't seem to have that issue.

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
 -odac
</CsOptions>
;================================
<CsInstruments>

sr = 48000
ksmps = 32
nchnls = 1
0dbfs  = 1

instr 1
  iArr[]  init 5000
  kArr[]  init 5000
  iLen  = lenarray(iArr)
  print iLen
  iNdx  init 0

    while iNdx < 5000 do
        iArr[iNdx] = iNdx
        iNdx += 1
    od
  printarray iArr
  kTrig = metro(1)
  printarray kArr, kTrig
endin

</CsInstruments>
;================================
<CsScore>
i1 0  .1
</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

Am I using them differently than you perhaps?

Best,
Scott

On Sun, Oct 29, 2023, 3:52 a.m. Philipp Neumann <philipp@von-neumann.com> wrote:
Hello everybody!

In my current composition i work with algorithmically generated arrays which are fed to csound for composition parameters.
No i have the problem that inside csound there is a limit to the length of arrays (1999). Which annoys me a lot. And i’m asking myself if this is necessary at all?
Is there a reason for this? and is there a workaround?

Best,
Philipp

FromPhilipp Neumann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Array Limit
Hey Scott!

I use ‚fillarray‘ to create and fill the arrays at the same time. Maybe just this opcode has problems with it. I will investigate it. Thanks for trying out!

> Am 29.10.2023 um 09:16 schrieb ST Music :
>
> Hi Philipp, that indeed seems odd. I don't seem to have that issue.
>

>  -odac
>
> ;================================
>

> sr = 48000
> ksmps = 32
> nchnls = 1
> 0dbfs  = 1
>
> instr 1
>   iArr[]  init 5000
>   kArr[]  init 5000
>   iLen  = lenarray(iArr)
>   print iLen
>   iNdx  init 0
>         while iNdx < 5000 do
>         iArr[iNdx] = iNdx
>         iNdx += 1
>     od
>   printarray iArr
>   kTrig = metro(1)
>   printarray kArr, kTrig
> endin
>

> ;================================
>
> i1 0  .1
>

> Am I using them differently than you perhaps?
>
> Best,
> Scott
>
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2023, 3:52 a.m. Philipp Neumann  wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> In my current composition i work with algorithmically generated arrays which are fed to csound for composition parameters.
> No i have the problem that inside csound there is a limit to the length of arrays (1999). Which annoys me a lot. And i’m asking myself if this is necessary at all?
> Is there a reason for this? and is there a workaround?
>
> Best,
> Philipp

FromPhilipp Neumann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Array Limit
ok. The problem is indeed the ‚fillarray‘ opcode, which doesn’t accept more values then 1999.
Is there a way to fill a array in a other way?

i create textfiles which holds the array and in csound i use #include to call them.

> Am 29.10.2023 um 09:24 schrieb Philipp Neumann :
>
> Hey Scott!
>
> I use ‚fillarray‘ to create and fill the arrays at the same time. Maybe just this opcode has problems with it. I will investigate it. Thanks for trying out!
>
>> Am 29.10.2023 um 09:16 schrieb ST Music :
>>
>> Hi Philipp, that indeed seems odd. I don't seem to have that issue.
>>

>> -odac
>>
>> ;================================
>>

>> sr = 48000
>> ksmps = 32
>> nchnls = 1
>> 0dbfs  = 1
>>
>> instr 1
>>  iArr[]  init 5000
>>  kArr[]  init 5000
>>  iLen  = lenarray(iArr)
>>  print iLen
>>  iNdx  init 0
>>        while iNdx < 5000 do
>>        iArr[iNdx] = iNdx
>>        iNdx += 1
>>    od
>>  printarray iArr
>>  kTrig = metro(1)
>>  printarray kArr, kTrig
>> endin
>>

>> ;================================
>>
>> i1 0  .1
>>

>> Am I using them differently than you perhaps?
>>
>> Best,
>> Scott
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 29, 2023, 3:52 a.m. Philipp Neumann  wrote:
>> Hello everybody!
>>
>> In my current composition i work with algorithmically generated arrays which are fed to csound for composition parameters.
>> No i have the problem that inside csound there is a limit to the length of arrays (1999). Which annoys me a lot. And i’m asking myself if this is necessary at all?
>> Is there a reason for this? and is there a workaround?
>>
>> Best,
>> Philipp
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromST Music
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Array Limit
Here's one possibility. This is a bit of a mess below & probably needs to be modified to suit your needs.

instr 1
  iIter  init 0
  SArr[] init 1
  iArr[] init 1
  while iIter < 1000 do
    Sline, iLineNum readfi "/sdcard/text.txt"
    SArr[iIter] = "10"
    trim_i SArr, iIter + 2
    trim_i iArr, iIter + 2
    print iIter
    iArr[iIter] = strtod(SArr[0])
    print iArr[iIter]
    iIter += 1
    if  iLineNum == -1 then
        iIter = 1000
    endif
  od
  trim_i iArr, lenarray(iArr) - 1
  printarray iArr
endin

You might have to use delimit and/or strsub as well, depending on how your files are formatted. So basically read the text as strings, line by line, and convert to a float or int.

On Sun, Oct 29, 2023, 4:33 a.m. Philipp Neumann <philipp@von-neumann.com> wrote:
ok. The problem is indeed the ‚fillarray‘ opcode, which doesn’t accept more values then 1999.
Is there a way to fill a array in a other way?

i create textfiles which holds the array and in csound i use #include to call them.

> Am 29.10.2023 um 09:24 schrieb Philipp Neumann <philipp@VON-NEUMANN.COM>:
>
> Hey Scott!
>
> I use ‚fillarray‘ to create and fill the arrays at the same time. Maybe just this opcode has problems with it. I will investigate it. Thanks for trying out!
>
>> Am 29.10.2023 um 09:16 schrieb ST Music <stunes6556@GMAIL.COM>:
>>
>> Hi Philipp, that indeed seems odd. I don't seem to have that issue.
>>
>> <CsoundSynthesizer>
>> <CsOptions>
>> -odac
>> </CsOptions>
>> ;================================
>> <CsInstruments>
>>
>> sr = 48000
>> ksmps = 32
>> nchnls = 1
>> 0dbfs  = 1
>>
>> instr 1
>>  iArr[]  init 5000
>>  kArr[]  init 5000
>>  iLen  = lenarray(iArr)
>>  print iLen
>>  iNdx  init 0
>>        while iNdx < 5000 do
>>        iArr[iNdx] = iNdx
>>        iNdx += 1
>>    od
>>  printarray iArr
>>  kTrig = metro(1)
>>  printarray kArr, kTrig
>> endin
>>
>> </CsInstruments>
>> ;================================
>> <CsScore>
>> i1 0  .1
>> </CsScore>
>> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>>
>> Am I using them differently than you perhaps?
>>
>> Best,
>> Scott
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 29, 2023, 3:52 a.m. Philipp Neumann <philipp@von-neumann.com> wrote:
>> Hello everybody!
>>
>> In my current composition i work with algorithmically generated arrays which are fed to csound for composition parameters.
>> No i have the problem that inside csound there is a limit to the length of arrays (1999). Which annoys me a lot. And i’m asking myself if this is necessary at all?
>> Is there a reason for this? and is there a workaround?
>>
>> Best,
>> Philipp
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromPhilipp Neumann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Array Limit
This seems like a workaround. But could just the ‚fillarray‘ opcode could be modified? Could a developer say something why this opcode is limited to 1999 values?

> [...]
> >> Is there a reason for this? and is there a workaround?
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Philipp
> >> Csound mailing list
> >> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> >> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> >> Send bugs reports to
> >>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> >> Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
> >> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
> >
> > Csound mailing list
> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Array Limit
There is a boundary at 2000 when there is a strategy change to extended argument form.  Looks as if extended structyhas not been programmed for fillarray.  Will look when awake
⁣==John ffitch ​

On 29 Oct 2023, 10:01, at 10:01, Philipp Neumann  wrote:
> [...]
>> >
>> > Csound mailing list
>> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>> > Send bugs reports to
>> >        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>> >

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>features can be posted here
>
>Csound mailing list
>Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>Send bugs reports to
>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

if you use a textfile as actual input, you might be able to do this:
- use GEN23 to read the text file in a function table
- and if you prefer arrays over tables, use copyf2array.

On 29/10/2023 09:33, Philipp Neumann wrote:
> ok. The problem is indeed the ‚fillarray‘ opcode, which doesn’t accept more values then 1999.
> Is there a way to fill a array in a other way?
>
> i create textfiles which holds the array and in csound i use #include to call them.
>
>> Am 29.10.2023 um 09:24 schrieb Philipp Neumann :
>>
>> Hey Scott!
>>
>> I use ‚fillarray‘ to create and fill the arrays at the same time. Maybe just this opcode has problems with it. I will investigate it. Thanks for trying out!
>>
>>> Am 29.10.2023 um 09:16 schrieb ST Music :
>>>
>>> Hi Philipp, that indeed seems odd. I don't seem to have that issue.
>>>

>>> -odac
>>>
>>> ;================================
>>>

>>> sr = 48000
>>> ksmps = 32
>>> nchnls = 1
>>> 0dbfs  = 1
>>>
>>> instr 1
>>>   iArr[]  init 5000
>>>   kArr[]  init 5000
>>>   iLen  = lenarray(iArr)
>>>   print iLen
>>>   iNdx  init 0
>>>         while iNdx < 5000 do
>>>         iArr[iNdx] = iNdx
>>>         iNdx += 1
>>>     od
>>>   printarray iArr
>>>   kTrig = metro(1)
>>>   printarray kArr, kTrig
>>> endin
>>>

>>> ;================================
>>>
>>> i1 0  .1
>>>

>>> Am I using them differently than you perhaps?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Scott
>>>
>>> On Sun, Oct 29, 2023, 3:52 a.m. Philipp Neumann  wrote:
>>> Hello everybody!
>>>
>>> In my current composition i work with algorithmically generated arrays which are fed to csound for composition parameters.
>>> No i have the problem that inside csound there is a limit to the length of arrays (1999). Which annoys me a lot. And i’m asking myself if this is necessary at all?
>>> Is there a reason for this? and is there a workaround?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Philipp
>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromPhilipp Neumann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Array Limit
This sounds like a really good solution! Thank you Joachim! I will try it.