[Csnd] (New) Chromebook Plus, and Csound for Android .csd's

Date2023-10-23 23:53
FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject[Csnd] (New) Chromebook Plus, and Csound for Android .csd's
Especially for Michael G.:

Everything outlined below works just fine on earlier Chromebooks. But my more recent Samsung Chromebook Plus (v2) displays the following critical issue. All insight much appreciated.

FWIW the problem shows up with both Csound for Android on the Play Store, and Michael's latest github version. (No problems with the "alternative" Android Csounds on my website. I doubt whether this relates directly to the issue, however.) Below is what happens on Michael's two Android Csounds and the recent  Samsung Chromebook Plus (v2) only.

-------------------
Playing Xanadu from the Examples folder in Csound for Android: fine, as expected

Copy Xanadu from the Examples folder to the Google Drive folder; Xanadu plays fine from there as expected (this turns out to be the only other folder from which Xanadu plays)

Copy Xanadu from Google Drive to Play Files/Music folder; Xanadu doesn't play, but displays properly in Edit Mode; console Message = "setCsoundText..." and stops; important clue: filename is displayed in top bar of Csound as "Csound:audio:xxx (a number)"

Copy Xanadu back to Google Drive (after deleting previous Xanadu); Xanadu plays fine as expected - as usual with its proper name within Csound.

I suspect the .csd extension is leading Chromebook Plus astray somehow. It is being interpreted as an audio file.

A confounding factor: aside from Google Drive, the Music folder is the only place Csound can seemingly read from, and especially​ is the only place its Editor can save​ to.

And thoughts? (Chromebook Plus is the future of Chromebooks.)

Art H.

abhunkin@uncg.edu
http://www.arthunkins.com

SubjectRe: [Csnd] (New) Chromebook Plus, and Csound for Android .csd's
Thanks for the information, I'll look into this.

Best,

On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 6:53 PM Arthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
[...]

From"Brian R."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] (New) Chromebook Plus, and Csound for Android .csd's
Because of the security restrictions on local files systems with Android it may make more sense to feed it data via Google drive.

On Mon, Oct 23, 2023, 5:42 PM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I have entered an issue for this in the csound-android repository.

[...]

If security restrictions are the reason for this problem, then these restrictions must have been introduced either by Samsung (for their Chromebook Plus v2) or by a recent Chrome update (probably specifically for Chromebook Plus). I've not seen the issue on a wide variety of earlier (non-Samsung) Chromebooks. (On the internet I've not seen mention of  such a change - which would seem to have been a major one.)

The real roadblock is that Csound cannot send its edits to Google Drive; otherwise, as you say, it could make sense only to work through Google Drive. OTOH, it would be much better for things to work consistently through the Music folder, like Csound for Android generally (phones, tablets and other Chromebooks).

abhunkin@uncg.edu
http://www.arthunkins.com

[...]

Did you get your Chromebook into Developer Mode?

https://chromeos.dev/en/android-environment/developer-options

What I gather so far is that this problem arises from Google pushing almost all storage into the cloud (e.g. Google Drive). It may be that the developer options and/or the Android settings can be tweaked to provide access to the file system.

@gogins

On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 11:04 AM Arthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
[...]

@ Michael and Brian

Yes, I have all possible Chromebooks running in Developer Mode; that was necessary to side-load third-party apps (including Michael's latest). I've access to the Developer Option mentioned in your reference, as well as an  option called: "Force allow apps on external", with explanation: Makes any app eligible to be written to external storage, regardless of manifest values.

There's also an "App Compatibility Changes" option: "Toggle app compatibility changes". I tried that, with the response that I had to specify and be using a debugable app.

Further information with respect to both Csound for Android 6.15 and 6.18:
Regular Chromebooks allow load and save .csd's to Downloads and external media only (I worked with a USB stick).
The Samsung Chromebook Plus​ (v2) doesn't allow loading and saving .csd's to either of the above locations. (E.g., nowhere.)

In neither case is the Music folder in play.

Art H.

abhunkin@uncg.edu
http://www.arthunkins.com

[...]

I could make a debuggable release as well on GitHub.

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 7:25 PM Arthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
[...]

Michael -

Re: a debugable release:
Maybe that would be useful for someone else, but I don't believe I could do anything with it. Any volunteer with a Chromebook Plus? (Not holding my breath.)

After lengthy further investigation, I've come up with this synopsis (which I'm appending to my "Side-loading Csound to Chromebooks" article. If anything's not right, please let me know. My Samsung Chromebook Plus (v2) may not represent the "true' Chromebook Plus, as it doesn't meet the hardware specs, and the Chrome OS updates are gradually being phased in to late model Chromebooks as well.

Synopsis:
ADDENDUM 2 (November 2023) - Issues with the Chromebook Plus

Google recently introduced a new hardware spec for Chromebooks and an upgraded Chrome OS, together christened Chromebook Plus. It proports to be the future of the Chromebook. I recently purchased an early, but fairly recent (from 2020) Samsung Chromebook Plus (v2) that implements at least some of the OS upgrades. These upgrades represent a real challenge for Android Csound.

Happily, with side-loading, all the "alternative" apps and required text editors run without incident. The same cannot be said for the two Csound for Android releases discussed above (Csound for Android on the Play Store, and the latest version at github). The latest version (6.18) doesn't actually run Csound at all; it thinks all .csd's are "audio" rather than text files. The one from the Play Store (6.15) runs .csd's fine, but when Saved or Saved As, it runs into the same "audio" error as the latest version does when reloaded. (However, when Chromebook is *not* in Developer Mode and Csound for Android is directly downloaded, Csound likewise does not run at all.) Bottom line: for now, stay away from these two Csound for Androids on a Chromebook Plus, especially on a Samsung Chromebook Plus (v2). Go for an older, "regular" Chromebook, or take a look at the various "alternative" Android apps.

Art H.

abhunkin@uncg.edu
http://www.arthunkins.com

[...]

Thanks. Ill see if there's a way to change the file associations.

On Sun, Oct 29, 2023, 22:50 Arthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
[...]

Looking forward to what you learn, Michael. Thanks much.

Art H.

abhunkin@uncg.edu
http://www.arthunkins.com