[Csnd] rtjack JACK audio driver / options issue

Date2023-10-20 18:47
From"Jeanette C."
Subject[Csnd] rtjack JACK audio driver / options issue
Hey hey,
I tried to help someone with a simple multichannel mixer, suggesting
Csound. I ran the code "dry" on my system and it worked.

On their system the code failed with the failure below. The options they
used were:
-+rtaudio=jack -b 1024 -B 3072
sr = 44100
ksmps = 32 ; tried 12
They also tried ksmps = 4 with -B 2048
They have JACK running through pipewire. The JACK options from ~/.jackrc
report:
-p 1024 -n 2
If it makes any difference: nchnls were set to 6.
Here's the output from Csound:
UnifiedCSD:  organ_mixer.csd
rtaudio: JACK module enabled
instr Mixer uses instrument number 1
sorting score ...
      ... done
--Csound version 6.18 (double samples) 2022-11-24
[commit: none]
libsndfile-1.2.0
displays suppressed
sr = 44100.0, kr = 1378.125, ksmps = 32
0dBFS level = 1.0, A4 tuning = 440.0
orch now loaded
audio buffered in 1024 sample-frame blocks
reading 12288-byte blks of shorts from adc:GrandOrgueAudio:out (RAW)
system sr: 44100.000000
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated

csound command: Aborted

Does anyone have a suggestion? Could it be pipewire? Did I misunderstand
the requirements for the options -b and -B? Is there another setting
perhaps?

Best wishes and thanks for any hints,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

We still move to a rhythm just like this
We still dream of sharing our first kiss <3
(Britney Spears)

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] rtjack JACK audio driver / options issue
What if you don't add -b and -B and let Csound choose the dafault?

Tarmo

R, 20. oktoober 2023 20:47 Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de> kirjutas:
[...]

Hi Tarmo!
Oct 20 2023, Tarmo Johannes has written:

> What if you don't add -b and -B and let Csound choose the dafault?
They tried and I should have mentioned it. This happens:
rtjack: buffer size (-B) is too small

I'm clueless what to do next...

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

We still move to a rhythm just like this
We still dream of sharing our first kiss <3
(Britney Spears)

SubjectRe: [Csnd] rtjack JACK audio driver / options issue
the -B looks suspicious to me in the line
-b 1024 -B 3072

i'd try
-b 1024 -B 4092

or
-b 1024 -B 1024

and instead of nchnls=6 i'd try nchnls=8

On 20/10/2023 19:47, Jeanette C. wrote:
> -b 1024 -B 3072

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] rtjack JACK audio driver / options issue
Hi Joachim,
thanks for your reply. We might try this. Happily, the code runs properly on
the intended performance system. Sstill, one doesn't always have access to
that. So we'll try the adaptation.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

Oct 21 2023, joachim heintz has written:

> the -B looks suspicious to me in the line
> -b 1024 -B 3072
>
> i'd try
> -b 1024 -B 4092
>
> or
> -b 1024 -B 1024
>
> and instead of nchnls=6 i'd try nchnls=8
>
> On 20/10/2023 19:47, Jeanette C. wrote:
>>  -b 1024 -B 3072

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

You know I'm one of a kind,
There'll never be another me <3
(Britney Spears)

SubjectRe: [Csnd] rtjack JACK audio driver / options issue
good luck ...
btw there was a typo in my suggested numbers; i meant
-b 1024 -B 4096 (not 4092)