[Csnd] Some Friday the 13th wavetable examples

Date2023-10-14 04:54
FromScott Daughtrey
Subject[Csnd] Some Friday the 13th wavetable examples
Three examples of algorithmically created wavetables of single cycle waveforms generated in Csound. There are no efx or other modifications except reverb, it's simply morphed wavetable playback in Csound for Android.

Ex. 1 is two sections. The first uses two wavetables, harmonic & inharm. partials. The second uses a wavetable of random distributions which creates a range of tonal and "noisy" timbres. There is no amp. mod, although random notes modulate the fundamental freq.
https://soundcloud.com/st-csound/custom-wavetables-example-see-description

Ex. 2 is a drone note using a wavetable of randomly created expon. segments.
https://soundcloud.com/st-csound/custom-wavetable-example-2-drone-see-description

Ex. 3 is a (very long) drone using a single wavetable, just wanted to give it time to breathe. The left channel has some random slow mod of the fundamental freq to give some movement & width. It's a single note although at times sounds almost like filtered noise.
https://soundcloud.com/st-csound/custom-wavetable-example-3-one-note-drone-see-description

These are in no way intended to resemble compositions, just examples of wavetables consisting of Csound generated single cycle waveforms. The scores consist of single notes or randomly triggered notes of random frequencies & durations (Ex. 1).

Best,
Scott

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Some Friday the 13th wavetable examples
Warm, Interesting, Lovely.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music

> [...]
>
> Ex. 1 is two sections. The first uses two wavetables, harmonic & inharm. partials. The second uses a wavetable of random distributions which creates a range of tonal and "noisy" timbres. There is no amp. mod, although random notes modulate the fundamental freq.
> https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=soundcloud.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9zb3VuZGNsb3VkLmNvbS9zdC1jc291bmQvY3VzdG9tLXdhdmV0YWJsZXMtZXhhbXBsZS1zZWUtZGVzY3JpcHRpb24=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=Vk1lSThWQ2c5SUJVMlltby9RdGp0eDc2MWJuSnBibmNNTFowNysvK2tJOD0=&h=0cdcb7dc0de2434f824ee06ccb8cc3a2&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A
>
> Ex. 2 is a drone note using a wavetable of randomly created expon. segments.
> https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=soundcloud.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9zb3VuZGNsb3VkLmNvbS9zdC1jc291bmQvY3VzdG9tLXdhdmV0YWJsZS1leGFtcGxlLTItZHJvbmUtc2VlLWRlc2NyaXB0aW9u&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=KzdxUW1HdzJqQWVrd3ZQRDVnOFIvQ1BUbnNscGNkVEhJaUR0a0h4QmlPcz0=&h=0cdcb7dc0de2434f824ee06ccb8cc3a2&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A
>
> Ex. 3 is a (very long) drone using a single wavetable, just wanted to give it time to breathe. The left channel has some random slow mod of the fundamental freq to give some movement & width. It's a single note although at times sounds almost like filtered noise.
> https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=soundcloud.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9zb3VuZGNsb3VkLmNvbS9zdC1jc291bmQvY3VzdG9tLXdhdmV0YWJsZS1leGFtcGxlLTMtb25lLW5vdGUtZHJvbmUtc2VlLWRlc2NyaXB0aW9u&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=TUNubWxzMWxXcGQ4QlVUSzVmSVdYRzg5NnpNQSs4TFJ4eEFRQzdNMXk4ND0=&h=0cdcb7dc0de2434f824ee06ccb8cc3a2&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A
>
> These are in no way intended to resemble compositions, just examples of wavetables consisting of Csound generated single cycle waveforms. The scores consist of single notes or randomly triggered notes of random frequencies & durations (Ex. 1).
>
> Best,
> Scott

> https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=heanet.ie&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5oZWFuZXQuaWUvY2dpLWJpbi93YT9BMD1DU09VTkQ=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=WVZMRlI4dlFUVUZ6V2NTOUU5eE9lZnFIemtoc2hxYlBDMFFCWmtKZzhzRT0=&h=0cdcb7dc0de2434f824ee06ccb8cc3a2&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A
> Send bugs reports to
>        https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9jc291bmQvaXNzdWVz&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=YlNrQ2lLclRLZUpGUE1iR0FyY2M1eW1NTUU5SUozWlJwMTNZU2NXT1BLOD0=&h=0cdcb7dc0de2434f824ee06ccb8cc3a2&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Some Friday the 13th wavetable examples
Scott,

These are super.  I would love to check out and share the CSDs with my students.
Also Scott, I have been showing my students some of your Generative Pieces in Csound (Mandela most recently)
On SoundCloud, I saw that you had a few others that were generative and procedural (and beautiful).  Could you share the csd's so that I could pass them along as models to my students.
Everyone at Berklee is into GENERATIVE and into PROCEDURAL (mostly in MaxMSP and so...  I love having these examples to share and keep them focused on Csound ;-)

I really appreciate your work.

- Dr.B

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

On Sat, Oct 14, 2023 at 6:33 AM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
> [...]

> Best,
> Scott

> https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=heanet.ie&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5oZWFuZXQuaWUvY2dpLWJpbi93YT9BMD1DU09VTkQ=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=WVZMRlI4dlFUVUZ6V2NTOUU5eE9lZnFIemtoc2hxYlBDMFFCWmtKZzhzRT0=&h=0cdcb7dc0de2434f824ee06ccb8cc3a2&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A
> Send bugs reports to
>        https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9jc291bmQvaXNzdWVz&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=YlNrQ2lLclRLZUpGUE1iR0FyY2M1eW1NTUU5SUozWlJwMTNZU2NXT1BLOD0=&h=0cdcb7dc0de2434f824ee06ccb8cc3a2&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Some Friday the 13th wavetable examples
Hi Scott!

Oct 14 2023, Scott Daughtrey has written:
> https://soundcloud.com/st-csound/custom-wavetables-example-see-description
I like this one. It's between spooky and a thriller. Never sure whether
it'll be the vampires or the gun men who are coming. :)
> https://soundcloud.com/st-csound/custom-wavetable-example-2-drone-see-description
This has a few nice sweetspots, especially the gnarly ones.
> https://soundcloud.com/st-csound/custom-wavetable-example-3-one-note-drone-see-description
This is an interesting one as well. Both for the variety in timbre as
well as in slightly disconcerting atmosphere. The almost vocal timbres
in between are lovely. Both the detune and the reverb aid this vocal
quality and the menacing touch, naturally. :)
..

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Baby, take the time to realize
I'm not the kind to sacrifice <3
(Britney Spears)

FromST Music
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Some Friday the 13th wavetable examples
Hi Dr. B & Jeanette,
   thanks for listening & the kind words.

@ Jeanette, hopefully the vampires, gun men & assorted Halloween threats haven't caught up to you.

@ Dr. B, I need to do some code "cleanup" and to probably add some proper comments to the csd files. Are there any specific examples you'd like to see?