[Csnd] handle more midi outputs (and inputs)

Date2023-10-01 18:05
Fromtjingboem
Subject[Csnd] handle more midi outputs (and inputs)
Can Csound under Linux, using Portmidi, ALSA or alsaseq, send midi data to different midi output ports?
Like: one midi instrument goes to M Audio Delta 1010 MIDI, and another midi instrument goes to the Edirol M Audio Delta 1010 MIDI?

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] handle more midi outputs (and inputs)
Hey hey,

Oct 1 2023, tjingboem has written:

> Can Csound under Linux, using Portmidi, ALSA or alsaseq, send midi data to
> different midi output ports?
Not  as far as I know. The best I was able to do was to externally route
different channels to different devices, by connecting Csound to the
virtual MIDI through port of ALSA seq.

Perhaps Jacko can do it? It supports MIDI. That is if JACK is an option
at all.

Sorry to be of so little help.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

P.S.: the Delta cards are lovely!

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Here I go, on my own now <3
(Britney Spears)

Fromtjingboem
SubjectRe: [Csnd] handle more midi outputs (and inputs)
Yes i was thinking about the Jacko opcodes aw well.I am not sure if the Jacko system will do the trick and is designed for that, but JackoMidiOutConnect for example: Creates a MIDI connection from Csound to a Jack port. Let me start there ;)
What do you think @Michael Gogins ?

On the other hand, a command line with several midi inputs and outputs would be good to have. And then an opcode from a particular instrument that assigns one or more of these midi inputs and  outputs. But first i will have to find out the capabilities of the Jacko system.

On Sun, Oct 1, 2023 at 10:03 PM Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:
Hey hey,

Oct 1 2023, tjingboem has written:

> Can Csound under Linux, using Portmidi, ALSA or alsaseq, send midi data to
> different midi output ports?
Not  as far as I know. The best I was able to do was to externally route
different channels to different devices, by connecting Csound to the
virtual MIDI through port of ALSA seq.

Perhaps Jacko can do it? It supports MIDI. That is if JACK is an option
at all.

Sorry to be of so little help.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

P.S.: the Delta cards are lovely!

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Here I go, on my own now <3
(Britney Spears)

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] handle more midi outputs (and inputs)
yes, with portmidi you can. Each port is mapped to successivel groups of channels > 16.

From the manual

"With PortMIDI, DEVICE is either a number for single port input, 'a' for listening to all input ports, or 'm' for mapping ports to MIDI channels above 16. In this case, device 0 uses 1-16, device 1 uses 17-32, ... device N uses (N+1)*channel. The options 'a' and 'm' are also convenient when you don't have devices as they will not generate an error."

On 1 Oct 2023, at 18:06, tjingboem <magknevel@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

Can Csound under Linux, using Portmidi, ALSA or alsaseq, send midi data to different midi output ports?
Like: one midi instrument goes to M Audio Delta 1010 MIDI, and another midi instrument goes to the Edirol M Audio Delta 1010 MIDI?

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] handle more midi outputs (and inputs)
Oh, that's midi out you asked about, not midi in. Ignore what I said.

MIDI out is single port.

On 1 Oct 2023, at 18:06, tjingboem <magknevel@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

Can Csound under Linux, using Portmidi, ALSA or alsaseq, send midi data to different midi output ports?
Like: one midi instrument goes to M Audio Delta 1010 MIDI, and another midi instrument goes to the Edirol M Audio Delta 1010 MIDI?

Fromtjingboem
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] handle more midi outputs (and inputs)
Thanks Jeanette, Michael and Victor for replying.

I have tried to get things working with the Jacko opcodes, but i gave up. Also, this is Linux AND Jack only. I was hoping for a more multiplatform solution.

Like the PortMidi option!
I have yet to try out the PortMidi driver and its > 16 channels option - sounds good!
Something alike would be good to have for midi output ports i think

I have made a feature request Several Midi ports #1750, but that was just before i had the chance to read your message. I will try the option of PortMidi In and several Midi devices.
(I will then change my feature request to midi outs)