[Csnd] the 'propper' way of routing csound output to other applications

Date2023-09-18 19:02
FromPhilipp Neumann
Subject[Csnd] the 'propper' way of routing csound output to other applications
hello everybody!

from time to time i have some latency problems with my actual setup of routing my csound, running in the terminal (macOS), to other applications.
i do it with using blackhole as -dac and using it as input device in my other application.
but is there a better, more performance friendly way?
ho are you doing it?

greetings,
philipp

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] the 'propper' way of routing csound output to other applications
Hi Philipp,
regard this as a first stop, in case you are impatient to get on.
Sep 18 2023, Philipp Neumann has written:

> hello everybody!
>
> from time to time i have some latency problems with my actual setup of routing my csound, running in the terminal (macOS), to other applications.
> i do it with using blackhole as -dac and using it as input device in my other application.
Are you using Csound CoreAudio driver? This I thik would be the default
for Mac and I've heard it used with DAW recordings. If you have it
installed, you might also use JACK, which is a Linux sound daemon per
se, but is available for mac as well. JACK was written for lowlatency
audio. I know that with certain audio drivers the exact buffer settings
(-b and -B) matter a lot as well.

This is as far as my expertise goes. Perhaps it gets you a little
further.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Ain't no way I'll be lonely <3
(Britney Spears)

SubjectRe: [Csnd] the 'propper' way of routing csound output to other applications
yes i'd also guess that jack is the best option:
https://jackaudio.org/downloads/

On 18/09/2023 16:28, Jeanette C. wrote:
> Hi Philipp,
> regard this as a first stop, in case you are impatient to get on.
> Sep 18 2023, Philipp Neumann has written:
>
>> hello everybody!
>>
>> from time to time i have some latency problems with my actual setup of
>> routing my csound, running in the terminal (macOS), to other
>> applications.
>> i do it with using blackhole as -dac and using it as input device in
>> my other application.
> Are you using Csound CoreAudio driver? This I thik would be the default
> for Mac and I've heard it used with DAW recordings. If you have it
> installed, you might also use JACK, which is a Linux sound daemon per
> se, but is available for mac as well. JACK was written for lowlatency
> audio. I know that with certain audio drivers the exact buffer settings
> (-b and -B) matter a lot as well.
>
> This is as far as my expertise goes. Perhaps it gets you a little
> further.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette

FromAnders Genell
SubjectRe: [Csnd] the 'propper' way of routing csound output to other applications
+1 for Jack.
But depending on what you want to achieve, wrapping your csound instrument up as a VST plugin could also be useful. I believe that should be a breeze if you use Cabbage.

Regards,
Anders