[Csnd] The Latest Csound for Android and Chromebooks

Date2023-09-16 15:42
FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject[Csnd] The Latest Csound for Android and Chromebooks
Ever since Michael posted his Csound for Android to the Google Play Store, I've been a fan of the app, including on Chromebooks. My previous article (http://arthunkins.com/Csound on Chromebooks.txt) details the potential value of older, inexpensive Chromebooks for students and other cash-strapped Csounders.

Michael's latest version (based on Csound 6.18) is a significant upgrade, especially for live performance, with its greater number of buttons and sliders. Unfortunately, it is not​ available on the Google Play Store. This makes the newest version third-party software - which presents a significant challenge for Chromebooks.

While both Android tablets and smartphones have little problem downloading third-party apps, Chromebooks normally can't.

My new article (http://arthunkins.com/Sideloading Csound on Chromebooks.txt) describes a workaround method that allows Chromebooks to sideload​ the new Csound for Android, or indeed any other third-party app - including the "alternative" Csound apps available on my website (http://arthunkins.com/Android_Csound_Apps.htm).

The "secret"? Developer Mode. (Linux mode won't work, at least for older Chromebooks.)

abhunkin@uncg.edu
http://www.arthunkins.com

SubjectRe: [Csnd] The Latest Csound for Android and Chromebooks
Thanks!

I'll include this information in the User Guide in the app.

On Sat, Sep 16, 2023, 10:42 Arthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
[...]

From"Brian R."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] The Latest Csound for Android and Chromebooks
Another way I got around this on a chromebook was to run the new linux
vm, which unlike WSL on windows supports audio so I was able to run
the linux version of csound on chromeos. I was even able to run
BespokeSynth on the chromeos linux (but I had a higher end
chromebook).

On Sat, Sep 16, 2023 at 7:42 AM Arthur Hunkins
<000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

> Ever since Michael posted his Csound for Android to the Google Play Store, I've been a fan of the app, including on Chromebooks. My previous article (http://arthunkins.com/Csound on Chromebooks.txt) details the potential value of older, inexpensive Chromebooks for students and other cash-strapped Csounders.
>
> Michael's latest version (based on Csound 6.18) is a significant upgrade, especially for live performance, with its greater number of buttons and sliders. Unfortunately, it is not available on the Google Play Store. This makes the newest version third-party software - which presents a significant challenge for Chromebooks.
>
> While both Android tablets and smartphones have little problem downloading third-party apps, Chromebooks normally can't.
>
> My new article (http://arthunkins.com/Sideloading Csound on Chromebooks.txt) describes a workaround method that allows Chromebooks to sideload the new Csound for Android, or indeed any other third-party app - including the "alternative" Csound apps available on my website (http://arthunkins.com/Android_Csound_Apps.htm).
>
> The "secret"? Developer Mode. (Linux mode won't work, at least for older Chromebooks.)
>

> abhunkin@uncg.edu
> http://www.arthunkins.com

FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] The Latest Csound for Android and Chromebooks
Hi, Brian -

I don't have any recent Chromebooks on which to test installation of Csound for Android on chromeos Linux.

Are/were you able to do such an install on your Chromebook?

Art H.

abhunkin@uncg.edu
http://www.arthunkins.com

Another way I got around this on a chromebook was to run the new linux
vm, which unlike WSL on windows supports audio so I was able to run
the linux version of csound on chromeos. I was even able to run
BespokeSynth on the chromeos linux (but I had a higher end
chromebook).

On Sat, Sep 16, 2023 at 7:42 AM Arthur Hunkins
<000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

> Ever since Michael posted his Csound for Android to the Google Play Store, I've been a fan of the app, including on Chromebooks. My previous article (http://arthunkins.com/Csound on Chromebooks.txt) details the potential value of older, inexpensive Chromebooks for students and other cash-strapped Csounders.
>
> Michael's latest version (based on Csound 6.18) is a significant upgrade, especially for live performance, with its greater number of buttons and sliders. Unfortunately, it is not available on the Google Play Store. This makes the newest version third-party software - which presents a significant challenge for Chromebooks.
>
> While both Android tablets and smartphones have little problem downloading third-party apps, Chromebooks normally can't.
>
> My new article (http://arthunkins.com/Sideloading Csound on Chromebooks.txt) describes a workaround method that allows Chromebooks to sideload the new Csound for Android, or indeed any other third-party app - including the "alternative" Csound apps available on my website (http://arthunkins.com/Android_Csound_Apps.htm).
>
> The "secret"? Developer Mode. (Linux mode won't work, at least for older Chromebooks.)
>

> abhunkin@uncg.edu
> http://www.arthunkins.com

From"Brian R."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] The Latest Csound for Android and Chromebooks
I installed the linux vm  which is debian based and was then able to use apt-get to install linux csound rather than sideloading the android app. If your chromebook can do android apps it should be able to run in developer mode with linux available:
Set up Linux on your Chromebook - Chromebook Help (google.com)
https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/9145439?hl=en

On Sat, Sep 16, 2023 at 1:04 PM Arthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
Hi, Brian -

I don't have any recent Chromebooks on which to test installation of Csound for Android on chromeos Linux.

Are/were you able to do such an install on your Chromebook?

Art H.

Another way I got around this on a chromebook was to run the new linux
vm, which unlike WSL on windows supports audio so I was able to run
the linux version of csound on chromeos. I was even able to run
BespokeSynth on the chromeos linux (but I had a higher end
chromebook).

On Sat, Sep 16, 2023 at 7:42 AM Arthur Hunkins
<000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

> Ever since Michael posted his Csound for Android to the Google Play Store, I've been a fan of the app, including on Chromebooks. My previous article (http://arthunkins.com/Csound on Chromebooks.txt) details the potential value of older, inexpensive Chromebooks for students and other cash-strapped Csounders.
>
> Michael's latest version (based on Csound 6.18) is a significant upgrade, especially for live performance, with its greater number of buttons and sliders. Unfortunately, it is not available on the Google Play Store. This makes the newest version third-party software - which presents a significant challenge for Chromebooks.
>
> While both Android tablets and smartphones have little problem downloading third-party apps, Chromebooks normally can't.
>
> My new article (http://arthunkins.com/Sideloading Csound on Chromebooks.txt) describes a workaround method that allows Chromebooks to sideload the new Csound for Android, or indeed any other third-party app - including the "alternative" Csound apps available on my website (http://arthunkins.com/Android_Csound_Apps.htm).
>
> The "secret"? Developer Mode. (Linux mode won't work, at least for older Chromebooks.)
>

> abhunkin@uncg.edu
> http://www.arthunkins.com

FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] The Latest Csound for Android and Chromebooks
Brian -

I setup linux on several of my Chromebooks. In the os settings, Linux Development Environment, the option Develop Android Apps never appears, and so I never get to the Enable ADB Debugging option.

Many users complain about this on the internet, and there is no solution offered. The conclusion is that, at least for older Chromebooks, this feature is not available.

that the ADB feature is only available in Chromebooks launched after 2020. So this solves the quandry, and why so many users complained  unknowingly.

Can you confirm that the Linux method works on your more recent machine? (I'd like to reference this in my article.)

Art H.

abhunkin@uncg.edu
http://www.arthunkins.com

Another way I got around this on a chromebook was to run the new linux
vm, which unlike WSL on windows supports audio so I was able to run
the linux version of csound on chromeos. I was even able to run
BespokeSynth on the chromeos linux (but I had a higher end
chromebook).

On Sat, Sep 16, 2023 at 7:42 AM Arthur Hunkins
<000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

> Ever since Michael posted his Csound for Android to the Google Play Store, I've been a fan of the app, including on Chromebooks. My previous article (http://arthunkins.com/Csound on Chromebooks.txt) details the potential value of older, inexpensive Chromebooks for students and other cash-strapped Csounders.
>
> Michael's latest version (based on Csound 6.18) is a significant upgrade, especially for live performance, with its greater number of buttons and sliders. Unfortunately, it is not available on the Google Play Store. This makes the newest version third-party software - which presents a significant challenge for Chromebooks.
>
> While both Android tablets and smartphones have little problem downloading third-party apps, Chromebooks normally can't.
>
> My new article (http://arthunkins.com/Sideloading Csound on Chromebooks.txt) describes a workaround method that allows Chromebooks to sideload the new Csound for Android, or indeed any other third-party app - including the "alternative" Csound apps available on my website (http://arthunkins.com/Android_Csound_Apps.htm).
>
> The "secret"? Developer Mode. (Linux mode won't work, at least for older Chromebooks.)
>

> abhunkin@uncg.edu
> http://www.arthunkins.com

From"Brian R."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] The Latest Csound for Android and Chromebooks
To be clear I'm running the linux version of csound not the android app, but if you have android studio then you could run the android app from source.