[Csnd] including a directory with single-file UDOs

Date2023-08-15 07:31
FromPhilipp Neumann
Subject[Csnd] including a directory with single-file UDOs
Hello everybody!

I was wondering if there is an possibility to include a directory with all my UDOs as single files to my csound-instrument.

Till now i use a big file which contains all my UDOs and do the ‚#include „/my/file.txt“' method. But i don't like it, because i find it uncomfortable to look up my UDOs in this file.
Is there a other approach to do this?

Greetings,
Philipp

SubjectRe: [Csnd] including a directory with single-file UDOs
hi phlipp -

i see two possibilities:

1. you can have multiple #include statements.
2. it should work to use the option
    --env:INCDIR+=/path/to/my/udos
(https://csound.com/docs/manual/CommandFlags.html)

i'd be curious if number 2 works.  i think it should be the best option
for your case.

ciao -
	joachim

On 15/08/2023 08:31, Philipp Neumann wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I was wondering if there is an possibility to include a directory with all my UDOs as single files to my csound-instrument.
>
> Till now i use a big file which contains all my UDOs and do the ‚#include „/my/file.txt“' method. But i don't like it, because i find it uncomfortable to look up my UDOs in this file.
> Is there a other approach to do this?
>
> Greetings,
> Philipp
>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] including a directory with single-file UDOs
sorry --- my second option will not work this way.  it is only a
possibility to simplify path names.

perhaps best is to #include one file which in itself has multiple
#include statements.

so in your csd you have:

	#include "my_udo_collection.txt"

and in "my_udo_collection.txt" you have:
#include "filters.udo"
#include "synths.udo"

curious what you will figure out, or others know -

On 15/08/2023 09:59, joachim heintz wrote:
> hi phlipp -
>
> i see two possibilities:
>
> 1. you can have multiple #include statements.
> 2. it should work to use the option
>     --env:INCDIR+=/path/to/my/udos
> (https://csound.com/docs/manual/CommandFlags.html)
>
> i'd be curious if number 2 works.  i think it should be the best option
> for your case.
>
> ciao -
>      joachim
>

> On 15/08/2023 08:31, Philipp Neumann wrote:
>> Hello everybody!
>>
>> I was wondering if there is an possibility to include a directory with
>> all my UDOs as single files to my csound-instrument.
>>
>> Till now i use a big file which contains all my UDOs and do the
>> ‚#include „/my/file.txt“' method. But i don't like it, because i find
>> it uncomfortable to look up my UDOs in this file.
>> Is there a other approach to do this?
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Philipp
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromST Music
SubjectRe: [Csnd] including a directory with single-file UDOs
Hi Philipp, do you mean something like this that will print all the udo filenames to your console from within an instr?

You just need to set the directory for ex. "/Music/Csound/Udos" & perhaps something like ".udo" instead of ".txt depending on what extension you use for the udos.

Best,
Scott

On Tue, Aug 15, 2023, 2:31 a.m. Philipp Neumann <kontakt@philippneumann.eu> wrote:
Hello everybody!

I was wondering if there is an possibility to include a directory with all my UDOs as single files to my csound-instrument.

Till now i use a big file which contains all my UDOs and do the ‚#include „/my/file.txt“' method. But i don't like it, because i find it uncomfortable to look up my UDOs in this file.
Is there a other approach to do this?

Greetings,
Philipp

FromPhilipp Neumann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] including a directory with single-file UDOs
Thanks, Joachim! This is a great idea which i will try out.

Scott, to be able to use my UDOs i have to load a file which contains all my UDOs. This has nothing to do with printing the file names or something like this. The #include statement works in the background just to be able to work with the UDOs like with normal opcodes.

> Am 15.08.2023 um 10:14 schrieb joachim heintz :
>
> sorry --- my second option will not work this way.  it is only a possibility to simplify path names.
>
> perhaps best is to #include one file which in itself has multiple #include statements.
>
> so in your csd you have:
>
> #include "my_udo_collection.txt"
>
> and in "my_udo_collection.txt" you have:
> #include "filters.udo"
> #include "synths.udo"
>
> curious what you will figure out, or others know -

> On 15/08/2023 09:59, joachim heintz wrote:
>> hi phlipp -
>> i see two possibilities:
>> 1. you can have multiple #include statements.
>> 2. it should work to use the option
>>    --env:INCDIR+=/path/to/my/udos
>> (https://csound.com/docs/manual/CommandFlags.html)
>> i'd be curious if number 2 works.  i think it should be the best option for your case.
>> ciao -
>>     joachim
>> On 15/08/2023 08:31, Philipp Neumann wrote:
>>> Hello everybody!
>>>
>>> I was wondering if there is an possibility to include a directory with all my UDOs as single files to my csound-instrument.
>>>
>>> Till now i use a big file which contains all my UDOs and do the ‚#include „/my/file.txt“' method. But i don't like it, because i find it uncomfortable to look up my UDOs in this file.
>>> Is there a other approach to do this?
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> Philipp
>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromST Music
SubjectRe: [Csnd] including a directory with single-file UDOs
Sorry, as you had written "because i find it uncomfortable to look up my UDOs in this file" I thought perhaps you wanted a simpler way to look up which udos were in a directory.

As joachim wrote, something like
#include "udos.txt" works fine, but from my experience the #include statements inside that file must be seperated by a blank line of text, for ex:
#include "reverb.udo"

#include "shimmerverb.udo"

For me it will not work if there isn't a blank line between them, an error is reported:
error: syntax error, unexpected '#', expecting NEWLINE etc...

Perhaps that's just the particular version of Csound I'm using.

On Tue, Aug 15, 2023, 5:21 a.m. Philipp Neumann <kontakt@philippneumann.eu> wrote:
Thanks, Joachim! This is a great idea which i will try out.

Scott, to be able to use my UDOs i have to load a file which contains all my UDOs. This has nothing to do with printing the file names or something like this. The #include statement works in the background just to be able to work with the UDOs like with normal opcodes.

> Am 15.08.2023 um 10:14 schrieb joachim heintz <jh@JOACHIMHEINTZ.DE>:
>
> sorry --- my second option will not work this way.  it is only a possibility to simplify path names.
>
> perhaps best is to #include one file which in itself has multiple #include statements.
>
> so in your csd you have:
>
> #include "my_udo_collection.txt"
>
> and in "my_udo_collection.txt" you have:
> #include "filters.udo"
> #include "synths.udo"
>
> curious what you will figure out, or others know -

> On 15/08/2023 09:59, joachim heintz wrote:
>> hi phlipp -
>> i see two possibilities:
>> 1. you can have multiple #include statements.
>> 2. it should work to use the option
>>    --env:INCDIR+=/path/to/my/udos
>> (https://csound.com/docs/manual/CommandFlags.html)
>> i'd be curious if number 2 works.  i think it should be the best option for your case.
>> ciao -
>>     joachim
>> On 15/08/2023 08:31, Philipp Neumann wrote:
>>> Hello everybody!
>>>
>>> I was wondering if there is an possibility to include a directory with all my UDOs as single files to my csound-instrument.
>>>
>>> Till now i use a big file which contains all my UDOs and do the ‚#include „/my/file.txt“' method. But i don't like it, because i find it uncomfortable to look up my UDOs in this file.
>>> Is there a other approach to do this?
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> Philipp
>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] including a directory with single-file UDOs
Put all your UDOs in one file. The size of this file is unlikely to be a problem.