[Csnd] How to Brew or Make Csound7 for an M1 MacBook Pro

Date2023-08-13 12:39
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
Subject[Csnd] How to Brew or Make Csound7 for an M1 MacBook Pro
Hello Csounders,

Could someone please let me know how to make or brew a version of Csound7 on an M1 Mac so I can RUN IN TERMINAL in the CsoundQt IDE?

I am working on a new set of pieces with John ffitch that we hope to share with you all as we complete them. In the past, we would work with the Developer version of Csound 6. Thanks to Steven Yi, Victor Lazzarini, and others, I was able to BREW csound on my M1 MacBook and use both the release version from CsoundQt (when I RUN) and the Brewed Csound 6 developer version when I RUN IN TERMINAL

Now, John is coding the latest piece in Csound7, which has some array features not supported in Csound6.  And so, I can't render the piece using CsoundQt as my IDE.  We were able to 'make' csound7 on the M1 MacBook last week, but it will not RUN IN TERMINAL in CsoundQt because, according to John, csQt is looking for the version 6 library.

Is there any hope that a release version of Csound7beta can be distributed sometime soon?

Thanks for any advice or support, and thanks for making is so easy (in the past) to Brew the developer version of Csound6, which allowed John and I to work very closely for the past two years.

These new sets of "duets" are in preparation for the next Csound conference in Vienna.

Sending my Best Wishes to all the Csounders!

- Dr.B

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

SubjectRe: [Csnd] How to Brew or Make Csound7 for an M1 MacBook Pro
hi richard -

i am a bit surprised to hear that.  when i installed the development
version of csound (=cs7) on my linux, csoundqt did use it.

what you could try: in csoundqt's configurations > environment > csound
executable to point to your brew install.

or to build csoundqt which i did on a mac m1, and it was not complcated.

but i very much second your wish for a beta version of CS7.  i think
hlodver did a lot of work, and even as it is for now it would be a
wonderful improvement: array support and multiple output arguments in
functional style, e.g.
aL, aR = diskin("myfile.wav"

cheers -
	joachim

On 13/08/2023 13:39, Dr. Richard Boulanger wrote:
> Hello Csounders,
>
> Could someone please let me know how to make or brew a version of
> Csound7 on an M1 Mac so I can RUN IN TERMINAL in the CsoundQt IDE?
>
> I am working on a new set of pieces with John ffitch that we hope to
> share with you all as we complete them. In the past, we would work with
> the Developer version of Csound 6. Thanks to Steven Yi, Victor
> Lazzarini, and others, I was able to BREW csound on my M1 MacBook and
> use both the release version from CsoundQt (when I RUN) and the Brewed
> Csound 6 developer version when I RUN IN TERMINAL
>
> Now, John is coding the latest piece in Csound7, which has some array
> features not supported in Csound6.  And so, I can't render the piece
> using CsoundQt as my IDE.  We were able to 'make' csound7 on the M1
> MacBook last week, but it will not RUN IN TERMINAL in CsoundQt because,
> according to John, csQt is looking for the version 6 library.
>
> Is there any hope that a release version of Csound7beta can be
> distributed sometime soon?
>
> Thanks for any advice or support, and thanks for making is so easy (in
> the past) to Brew the developer version of Csound6, which allowed John
> and I to work very closely for the past two years.
>
> These new sets of "duets" are in preparation for the next Csound
> conference in Vienna.
>
> Sending my Best Wishes to all the Csounders!
>
> *- Dr.B*
>
> *
> *
>
> *Dr. Richard Boulanger*
>
> Professor
>
> Electronic Production and Design
>
> *Berklee College of Music*
>
> Professional Writing & Technology Division

>  Send bugs reports to
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>  Discussions of bugs and
> features can be posted here

Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd] How to Brew or Make Csound7 for an M1 MacBook Pro
Csiund7 uses OPCODE7DIR64 and Qt hasno wy of setting it.

I usecs7 develop all the time.  Oly gotcha is tht boolean expressin have
the wrong precidence.  I recoded to avod this, otherwise it seemd stable.

John ff