[Csnd] Generating wavetables algorithmically

Date2023-07-27 11:46
FromPhilipp Neumann
Subject[Csnd] Generating wavetables algorithmically
Hey Everybody!

Has someone experience with generating waveforms and wavetables algorithmically with csound?
In some kind of way GendyN from Xenakis was working (i know that there is the gendy implementation in csound).

I would be interested to hear some experiences with this and hear some results. Also what kind of algorithms were used.
 I want to try this out but i don’t know where to start.

Greetings,
Philipp

FromST Music
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Generating wavetables algorithmically
Hi Philipp. I've done quite a bit in terms of generating waveforms randomly or algorithmically using a few different methods, for example generating a different waveform each time a note is played or or an instr is triggered/instantiated. Of course this can also be used to generate multiple waveforms to form a larger wavetable.

However since many are based on table generation, unlike the gendy opcodes I haven't yet figured out a way to alter things at k-rate in quite the same way (such as altering the number of "control points" used) although several other parameters can be mimicked. Similar results could likely be achieved by generating a group of tables and or multiple notes & using ftmorph or one of the tabmorph opcodes.

I'm not sure what types of examples you might be interested in though, so I'm curious to ask - what is it above and beyond the gendy opcodes you would like to do? I did spend some time playing with gendyc (thank you for the tip, by the way!) and got some really nice results. Your question also turned me on to Xenekis, so thank you. Interesting music & timbres albeit slightly outside of my normal comfort zone.

One thing I did notice about the gendy opcodes, many waveforms they produce have large amplitude jumps began two samples. There aren't necessarily audible clicks but this produces a certain amount of aliasing (I'm guessing, which to me is not always a bad thing when used for effect) as well as some inherent noise & distortion. It can be interesting though, the combination of those qualities with tonal frequencies, often within a single note. Is this kind of what you're after?

Best regards,
Scott

On Thu, Jul 27, 2023, 6:46 a.m. Philipp Neumann <kontakt@philippneumann.eu> wrote:
Hey Everybody!

Has someone experience with generating waveforms and wavetables algorithmically with csound?
In some kind of way GendyN from Xenakis was working (i know that there is the gendy implementation in csound).

I would be interested to hear some experiences with this and hear some results. Also what kind of algorithms were used.
 I want to try this out but i don’t know where to start.

Greetings,
Philipp

FromPhilipp Neumann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Generating wavetables algorithmically
Hi Scott,

thanks for the reply!

I’m interest in the generating waveforms by from me chosen algorithms or data. I don’t have a sounding result in mind - i just want to experiment with the method itself.

So i’m very interested how you generated the waveforms. What kind of opcodes, tables, GEN routines did you use? Maybe you can show some examples.

Greetings.
Philipp