[Csnd] Csound UDOs in Pure Data

Date2023-06-26 09:37
FromPhilipp Neumann
Subject[Csnd] Csound UDOs in Pure Data
Hello Everybody!

I’m wondering if there is a way to use UDOs in Pure Data?
Is there a way of implementing Csound in PD? And is someone working in Live Situations with this Setup?

Greetings,
Philipp

FromForrest Curo
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound UDOs in Pure Data
If I understand what you're asking about...

Try making [csound~] (perhaps it's [csound6~] now & looking at the 'help' patch.

If you want to make your own custom pd boxes go to the help browser, look in the 'pure data' section at the top, find 'externals'.

compiling these things gets tricky, but you can pretty well program in C that way -- with the limitation that you'll have to add another thread so you can come back to do pd stuff while that program is still executing! (Otherwise, your pd execution stops until the program in your [] finishes.)

There are examples via the csound site of  using various languages to interface with the csound api... which has its own threading routines suitable for controlling an instance of csound in the background.

Or you can start csound independently & send it messages from pd, udp or score lines via a fifo, etc.

On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 1:37 AM Philipp Neumann <kontakt@philippneumann.eu> wrote:
Hello Everybody!

I’m wondering if there is a way to use UDOs in Pure Data?
Is there a way of implementing Csound in PD? And is someone working in Live Situations with this Setup?

Greetings,
Philipp

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound UDOs in Pure Data
yes this is far too few used ...
here is an introduction:
https://flossmanual.csound.com/csound-in-other-applications/csound-in-pd

testing and reporting what should be changed is much appreciated ...

	joachim