[Csnd] delayed midi control on a single instrument

Date2023-06-07 08:53
FromPhilipp Neumann
Subject[Csnd] delayed midi control on a single instrument
hello everybody!

i’m working on a bigger csound project for a live performance and in this one instrument behaves a little bit weird - maybe there is a bug?

this instrument is created out of two sub-instruments. the first one is waiting for a specific midi note to trigger a global envelope which is fed into the second instrument. this envelope is acting as an signal-gate for a specific process in the second sub-instrument.

the second sub-instrument is doing several things:
- summing the input of several input-channels of my interface
- delaying and feeding back the summed signal, controlled by values from an hardware midi controller (here is the problem)
- creating a "breakbeat delay-line" triggered by the first sub-instrument

the problem is:
unless i triggered the breakbeat delay-line via the first sub-instrument - my midi data to control the delaying and feeding back of my summed signal is, don’t be confused here, is also delayed - but the values created by my midi controller are printed in real time. so the problem lies somewhere in the instrument and not my midi controller. when i trigger my first sub-instrument the problem is gone.

Here is a link to the two sub-instruments:
https://icem.folkwang-uni.de/~neumann/csound/sub-instruments.csd

here is a link to the whole csound project:
https://icem.folkwang-uni.de/~neumann/csound/glitch-performance-002.csd

Maybe someone can help,

greetings, philipp

FromPhilipp Neumann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] delayed midi control on a single instrument
i solved it - sorry for disturbing!

just used the wrong the variables for my output…. shame on me

> Am 07.06.2023 um 09:53 schrieb Philipp Neumann :
>
> hello everybody!
>
> i’m working on a bigger csound project for a live performance and in this one instrument behaves a little bit weird - maybe there is a bug?
>
> this instrument is created out of two sub-instruments. the first one is waiting for a specific midi note to trigger a global envelope which is fed into the second instrument. this envelope is acting as an signal-gate for a specific process in the second sub-instrument.
>
> the second sub-instrument is doing several things:
> - summing the input of several input-channels of my interface
> - delaying and feeding back the summed signal, controlled by values from an hardware midi controller (here is the problem)
> - creating a "breakbeat delay-line" triggered by the first sub-instrument
>
> the problem is:
> unless i triggered the breakbeat delay-line via the first sub-instrument - my midi data to control the delaying and feeding back of my summed signal is, don’t be confused here, is also delayed - but the values created by my midi controller are printed in real time. so the problem lies somewhere in the instrument and not my midi controller. when i trigger my first sub-instrument the problem is gone.
>
> Here is a link to the two sub-instruments:
> https://icem.folkwang-uni.de/~neumann/csound/sub-instruments.csd
>
> here is a link to the whole csound project:
> https://icem.folkwang-uni.de/~neumann/csound/glitch-performance-002.csd
>
> Maybe someone can help,
>
> greetings, philipp

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromAaron Krister Johnson

On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 1:30 AM Philipp Neumann <kontakt@philippneumann.eu> wrote:
i solved it - sorry for disturbing!

just used the wrong the variables for my output…. shame on me

> Am 07.06.2023 um 09:53 schrieb Philipp Neumann <kontakt@philippneumann.eu>:
>
> hello everybody!
>
> i’m working on a bigger csound project for a live performance and in this one instrument behaves a little bit weird - maybe there is a bug?
>
> this instrument is created out of two sub-instruments. the first one is waiting for a specific midi note to trigger a global envelope which is fed into the second instrument. this envelope is acting as an signal-gate for a specific process in the second sub-instrument.
>
> the second sub-instrument is doing several things:
> - summing the input of several input-channels of my interface
> - delaying and feeding back the summed signal, controlled by values from an hardware midi controller (here is the problem)
> - creating a "breakbeat delay-line" triggered by the first sub-instrument
>
> the problem is:
> unless i triggered the breakbeat delay-line via the first sub-instrument - my midi data to control the delaying and feeding back of my summed signal is, don’t be confused here, is also delayed - but the values created by my midi controller are printed in real time. so the problem lies somewhere in the instrument and not my midi controller. when i trigger my first sub-instrument the problem is gone.
>
> Here is a link to the two sub-instruments:
> https://icem.folkwang-uni.de/~neumann/csound/sub-instruments.csd
>
> here is a link to the whole csound project:
> https://icem.folkwang-uni.de/~neumann/csound/glitch-performance-002.csd
>
> Maybe someone can help,
>
> greetings, philipp

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] delayed midi control on a single instrument
Yes, I agree with Aaron, this is totally unacceptable!

On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 at 16:28, Aaron Krister Johnson <akjmicro@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 1:30 AM Philipp Neumann <kontakt@philippneumann.eu> wrote:
i solved it - sorry for disturbing!

just used the wrong the variables for my output…. shame on me

> Am 07.06.2023 um 09:53 schrieb Philipp Neumann <kontakt@philippneumann.eu>:
>
> hello everybody!
>
> i’m working on a bigger csound project for a live performance and in this one instrument behaves a little bit weird - maybe there is a bug?
>
> this instrument is created out of two sub-instruments. the first one is waiting for a specific midi note to trigger a global envelope which is fed into the second instrument. this envelope is acting as an signal-gate for a specific process in the second sub-instrument.
>
> the second sub-instrument is doing several things:
> - summing the input of several input-channels of my interface
> - delaying and feeding back the summed signal, controlled by values from an hardware midi controller (here is the problem)
> - creating a "breakbeat delay-line" triggered by the first sub-instrument
>
> the problem is:
> unless i triggered the breakbeat delay-line via the first sub-instrument - my midi data to control the delaying and feeding back of my summed signal is, don’t be confused here, is also delayed - but the values created by my midi controller are printed in real time. so the problem lies somewhere in the instrument and not my midi controller. when i trigger my first sub-instrument the problem is gone.
>
> Here is a link to the two sub-instruments:
> https://icem.folkwang-uni.de/~neumann/csound/sub-instruments.csd
>
> here is a link to the whole csound project:
> https://icem.folkwang-uni.de/~neumann/csound/glitch-performance-002.csd
>
> Maybe someone can help,
>
> greetings, philipp

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] delayed midi control on a single instrument
=)

i always have to smile about myself when after writing i don't know how
many while loops in my life already, i nevertheless from time to time
miss the
	indx += 1
statement, with the known result ...

but i guess that chatGPT has learned this, too, from us poor failing
human beings ...