[Csnd] Csound-x mode on Emacs 22

Date2023-05-07 10:23
Fromadam
Subject[Csnd] Csound-x mode on Emacs 22
There's a native vanilla Emacs mode for Csound, available via elpa.
It's two-colour and quite vanilla.

So I'd like to use Stef's at http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/csoundx.html

However in my Emacs init file, (require 'stef-elisp) causes startup to
error with  "Symbol's function definition is void: makehash "

Looking here https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/blob/master/etc/NEWS.22
I notice this,
*** 'makehash' is now obsolete.  Use 'make-hash-table' instead.

So, in my Emacs init file, I included (defalias 'makehash 'make-hash-table)
just prior to (require 'stef-elisp). Except then a different error in startup
is reported, "error: Invalid argument list, equal"

I'm on GNU Emacs 28.1  Any suggestions, comments or feedback much appreciated.

$ grep -r makehash ~/.emacs.d/stef-elisp/csound-x/
/home/ad2/.emacs.d/stef-elisp/csound-x/csound-doc.el:  (let ((table (makehash 'equal)))
/home/ad2/.emacs.d/stef-elisp/csound-x/csound-doc.el:  (let ((table (makehash 'equal))

/home/ad2/.emacs.d/stef-elisp/csound-x/csound-doc.el:  (setq csdoc-opcode-database
makehash 'equal)

/home/ad2/.emacs.d/stef-elisp/csound-x/csound-doc.el:	(insert (format "%S\n" '(setq
csdoc-opcode-database (makehash 'equal))))

/home/ad2/.emacs.d/stef-elisp/csound-x/csound-opcodes.el:(setq csdoc-opcode-database
(makehash (quote equal)))

Fromthorin kerr
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound-x mode on Emacs 22

For the csound-mode packaged in MELPA (by Hlöðver Sigurðsson)

You can run the command:
customize-group (press return)
csound-mode-font-lock

This will let you select the faces used for assorted csound symbols.

Alternatively... I tend to just run a simple
(set-background-color "black")
(set-foreground-color "cyan")

in my .emacs file.

I haven't used Stefs csound-x for a while. Not sure if it's still maintained.

Thorin

On Sun, May 7, 2023 at 7:23 PM adam <ahcnz@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
[...]

That's good, Thorin. Thank you.

On Sun, 2023-05-07 at 22:18 +1000, thorin kerr wrote:

[...]

FromStéphane Rollandin
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound-x mode on Emacs 22
> I haven't used Stefs csound-x for a while. Not sure if it's still
Indeed I have not been updating it for a while. Adam, please contact me
privately if you want me to help me fix this issue.

Stef

Fromadam
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound-x mode on Emacs 22
Many thanks, Stef.  And thanks to Thorin Kerr also.

Csound-mode.el Emacs mode has more syntax highlighting than I thought.
I'm happy with it.

FYI  I'm back using Common Music with SBCL, in Emacs with Slime, to
generate sco for Csound. Because Common Lisp is such fun.

I'm not sure where that legacy Lisp Common Music repository is these
days. The CM-list would know. Indeed some years back, I saved an
image and could run it as an object on a timeline from Blue. That was nice.

Off-Topic, I wonder if John ffitch got going with CsoundQt v1.1.1,
after being pointed to the AppImage for Linux, back in 05/11/22.
I hope so. These are all brilliant front-ends for Csound.

So thank you to all the developers.
And best wishes to all, in the strange times.

Adam.