[Csnd] risset release

Date2023-04-13 01:20
FromEduardo Moguillansky
Subject[Csnd] risset release
AttachmentsddCOzwByCuUG4Ylp.png

Hi all,

Announcing a new major release of risset, a package manager for csound external plugins!

This release includes experimental support for csound7. Many of the plugins now have two different builds and risset will do its best to detect the environment and install the correct plugins at the correct path.  There are also CI tests for all major platforms ensuring that the plugins are working.

Plugins installed via risset are integrated into csoundqt. The opcodes are highlighted correctly, show in the autocomplete menu and their corresponding help files are displayed as if they were built-in opcodes.

Best regards,

Eduardo Moguillansky

Date2023-04-13 08:11
FromPhilipp Neumann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] risset release
Hi Eduardo,

sorry for a very noobie question - but i tried to find infos about this, but i still have questions.

In context of csound, what are plugins there? Just more opcodes to use in csound? And how do i use them there?

All the best,
Philipp

> Am 13.04.2023 um 02:20 schrieb Eduardo Moguillansky :
>
> Hi all,
>
> Announcing a new major release of risset, a package manager for csound external plugins!
>
> This release includes experimental support for csound7. Many of the plugins now have two different builds and risset will do its best to detect the environment and install the correct plugins at the correct path.  There are also CI tests for all major platforms ensuring that the plugins are working.
>
> Plugins installed via risset are integrated into csoundqt. The opcodes are highlighted correctly, show in the autocomplete menu and their corresponding help files are displayed as if they were built-in opcodes.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Eduardo Moguillansky

SubjectRe: [Csnd] risset release
AttachmentsddCOzwByCuUG4Ylp.png
Hi Eduardo,

I tried risset here on arm64 and it seems like M1/M2 macs are still not supported, is that correct?

steven

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 8:22 PM Eduardo Moguillansky <eduardo.moguillansky@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Announcing a new major release of risset, a package manager for csound external plugins!

This release includes experimental support for csound7. Many of the plugins now have two different builds and risset will do its best to detect the environment and install the correct plugins at the correct path.  There are also CI tests for all major platforms ensuring that the plugins are working.

Plugins installed via risset are integrated into csoundqt. The opcodes are highlighted correctly, show in the autocomplete menu and their corresponding help files are displayed as if they were built-in opcodes.

Best regards,

Eduardo Moguillansky

FromEduardo Moguillansky
SubjectRe: [Csnd] risset release
Yes, that is correct. There is a build and test framework in place now as github actions, both for the plugins as for risset itself, so it is possible to add arm64 support. Intel macos is being tested and working. For mac I use the distributed csound package for testing so there is no testing for csound 7 yet.

On 13.04.23 16:45, Steven Yi  wrote:
> Hi Eduardo,
>
> I tried risset here on arm64 and it seems like M1/M2 macs are still not
> supported, is that correct?
>
> steven
>
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 8:22 PM Eduardo Moguillansky
> >
> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     Announcing a new major release of risset, a package manager for
>     csound external plugins!
>
>     This release includes experimental support for csound7. Many of the
>     plugins now have two different builds and risset will do its best to
>     detect the environment and install the correct plugins at the
>     correct path.  There are also CI tests for all major platforms
>     ensuring that the plugins are working.
>
>     Plugins installed via risset are integrated into csoundqt. The
>     opcodes are highlighted correctly, show in the autocomplete menu and
>     their corresponding help files are displayed as if they were
>     built-in opcodes.
>
>     Best regards,
>
>     Eduardo Moguillansky

>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>      Send bugs reports
>     to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>      Discussions of bugs and
>     features can be posted here

>  Send bugs reports to
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>  Discussions of bugs and
> features can be posted here

SubjectRe: [Csnd] risset release
Would love to see this work with arm64 and will be happy to test and
provide feedback when there's something available.

On Thu, Apr 13, 2023 at 11:17 AM Eduardo Moguillansky
 wrote:

> Yes, that is correct. There is a build and test framework in place now as github actions, both for the plugins as for risset itself, so it is possible to add arm64 support. Intel macos is being tested and working. For mac I use the distributed csound package for testing so there is no testing for csound 7 yet.
>
> On 13.04.23 16:45, Steven Yi  wrote:
> > Hi Eduardo,
> >
> > I tried risset here on arm64 and it seems like M1/M2 macs are still not
> > supported, is that correct?
> >
> > steven
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 8:22 PM Eduardo Moguillansky
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> >     Hi all,
> >
> >     Announcing a new major release of risset, a package manager for
> >     csound external plugins!
> >
> >     This release includes experimental support for csound7. Many of the
> >     plugins now have two different builds and risset will do its best to
> >     detect the environment and install the correct plugins at the
> >     correct path.  There are also CI tests for all major platforms
> >     ensuring that the plugins are working.
> >
> >     Plugins installed via risset are integrated into csoundqt. The
> >     opcodes are highlighted correctly, show in the autocomplete menu and
> >     their corresponding help files are displayed as if they were
> >     built-in opcodes.
> >
> >     Best regards,
> >
> >     Eduardo Moguillansky

> >     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> >      Send bugs reports
> >     to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> >      Discussions of bugs and
> >     features can be posted here

> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> >  Send bugs reports to
> > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> >  Discussions of bugs and
> > features can be posted here

FromEduardo Moguillansky
SubjectRe: [Csnd] risset release
Hi Philipp,

On 13.04.23 09:11, Philipp Neumann wrote:
> Hi Eduardo,
>
> sorry for a very noobie question - but i tried to find infos about this, but i still have questions.
>
> In context of csound, what are plugins there?

Much of the functionality of csound is implemented as plugins. For
example all the audio backends are actually plugins, and many opcodes
are also plugins. For example, in linux these are the builtin plugins
distributed with csound 6:

$ ll -1 /usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0

libampmidid.so
libarrayops.so
libbformdec2.so
libcontrol.so
libdeprecated.so
libdoppler.so
libdssi4cs.so
libfractalnoise.so
libftsamplebank.so
libipmidi.so
libjoystick.so
liblfsr.so
libmixer.so
libosc.so
libpadsynth.so
libpmidi.so
libpvsops.so
librtalsa.so
librtjack.so
librtpa.so
librtpulse.so
libscansyn.so
libsignalflowgraph.so
libstdutil.so
libtrigenvsegs.so
liburandom.so

External plugins are exactly the same as these. They are loaded by
csound at startup and they provide a list of opcodes which work just
like any other regular opcode. Many opcodes which were previously in the
csound main distribution were moved as external plugins (the python
opcodes, for example, or the hdf5 opcodes). The current list of plugins is:

$ risset --update list

* else /1.15.0         | Miscellaneous plugins [installed: 1.15.0]
- sndmeta /1.15.0      | opcodes using libsndfile
- risset /1.15.0       | Opcodes to access risset package metadata
- vst3 /0.3.0          | Host vst3 plugins in csound
- chua /0.1.0          | Implementation of a Chua oscillator
- hdf5 /0.1.0          | Read/Write signals and arrays to/from an hdf5 file
- python /0.1.0        | Opcodes to interact with an embedded python
interpreter

All external opcodes are documented here:
https://csound-plugins.github.io/risset-docs/index.html

Look at https://github.com/csound-plugins/risset for more information
about installation and usage