Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

Re: [Csnd] New piece using the PadSynth algorithm

Date2023-03-17 20:26
FromScott Daughtrey
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New piece using the PadSynth algorithm
Thanks for the kind comments, Aaron. Very cool you picked up on the Tim Burton influence, that's exactly what I was going for (I actually put "Tim Burton" in the DALL-E description for a group of the images).

The bells were done in Csound, most of the other work was  done in Caustic 3; it was originally intended as a showcase for the  Caustic PADsynth instrument. It's much quicker for me to work with. The bells though, they were distorting in Caustic for some reason & I couldn't fix that. I could have done some with an FM instrument or something but wanted to keep the PADsynth motif.

Jeanette kindly refreshed my memory that Csound had the GEN routine which I had previously tried but had little success with. It took a while to tweak the parameters, it's quite sensative in some respects.

I'll upload the files when I get a chance, I backed them up on an external drive which I loaned to a friend, hopefully tonight or tomorrow. I'll post the Caustic file as well in case you or anyone find it useful. The PADsynth in it is interesting, it allows quickly "drawing" in the harmonic partials. It can use two different sets of partials & morph between them. The timbres could probably be somewhat replicated in Csound but was obviously unnecessary in this circumstance & would have been time consuming.  

By the way, Caustic 3 is free for Windows & has iOS & versions as well. The mobile versions are paid versions, files can be loaded & created but not saved - still works ok for viewing to look at parameters used. And FWIW the KSsynth is a fairly nice Karplus-Strong implementation but unfortunately I don't think there's any way to use alternate intonations.

Csound mailing list
Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
Send bugs reports to
        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here