[Csnd] Microphone Feedback Game

Date2023-01-29 17:57
FromGuillermo Senna
Subject[Csnd] Microphone Feedback Game
Hi,

Here's an online "game" I made for students to practice eliminating
microphone feedback with a 7-band graphic EQ. You get a point only if
the first band you choose to cut is the closest to the frequency of the
acoustic feedback.

https://gsenna.github.io/LarsenEffectGame/

I know it probably should be easier to simulate the Larsen effect using
a delay line with feedback, but I had some issues with that approach and
didn't have the time to debug it properly.

Also, I was wondering about using csound.requestControlChannel to set a
callback for reading a channel inside JS. I tried that, but couldn't
make it work. Is a JS timer the only alternative for this now?

Cheers!

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Microphone Feedback Game
Nice.  It will be fun to show and share with my Csound Class this week.  THANKS!

- Dr.B

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=gsenna.github.io&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9nc2VubmEuZ2l0aHViLmlvL0xhcnNlbkVmZmVjdEdhbWUv&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=YzlTSWhJeElmSUM3alZ1Z3dOK2NwdmhJUG1MblllUm9VMDhzUEpFSFB4az0=&h=efefff6a758f4d169b198bf51ca1db08&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A

I know it probably should be easier to simulate the Larsen effect using
a delay line with feedback, but I had some issues with that approach and
didn't have the time to debug it properly.

Also, I was wondering about using csound.requestControlChannel to set a
callback for reading a channel inside JS. I tried that, but couldn't
make it work. Is a JS timer the only alternative for this now?

Cheers!

https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=heanet.ie&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5oZWFuZXQuaWUvY2dpLWJpbi93YT9BMD1DU09VTkQ=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=WVZMRlI4dlFUVUZ6V2NTOUU5eE9lZnFIemtoc2hxYlBDMFFCWmtKZzhzRT0=&h=efefff6a758f4d169b198bf51ca1db08&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A
Send bugs reports to
        https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9jc291bmQvaXNzdWVz&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=YlNrQ2lLclRLZUpGUE1iR0FyY2M1eW1NTUU5SUozWlJwMTNZU2NXT1BLOD0=&h=efefff6a758f4d169b198bf51ca1db08&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Microphone Feedback Game
Hi Guillermo,
Thanks for the link. It is a fun game. This kind of thing fits very well into my digital ear training course (http://gdsp.hf.ntnu.no/). My site is old and needs maintenance, I have plans to reimplement it with WebAudio Csound. When I get around to it, maybe I could include a version of your game on my updated site?
best
Øyvind

søn. 29. jan. 2023 kl. 18:58 skrev Guillermo Senna <gsenna@gmail.com>:
Hi,

Here's an online "game" I made for students to practice eliminating
microphone feedback with a 7-band graphic EQ. You get a point only if
the first band you choose to cut is the closest to the frequency of the
acoustic feedback.

https://gsenna.github.io/LarsenEffectGame/

I know it probably should be easier to simulate the Larsen effect using
a delay line with feedback, but I had some issues with that approach and
didn't have the time to debug it properly.

Also, I was wondering about using csound.requestControlChannel to set a
callback for reading a channel inside JS. I tried that, but couldn't
make it work. Is a JS timer the only alternative for this now?

Cheers!

FromGuillermo Senna
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Microphone Feedback Game
Hi,

@Dr. B: Great! Let me know how it goes.

@Oeyvind: Well, I think calling it fun might be a stretch. But keeping a
score probably makes it a little bit more entertaining. By the way, I
did know about your website and remember using it at some point while
teaching about the different reverb topologies. I think a new WebAudio
version would be great, so please feel free to pull whatever you need
from the code (which is MIT-licensed). Actually, now that I've revisited
your website just now, I see there are a bunch of other web "games" that
could be developed for ear-training.

Cheers!

On 29/1/23 14:57, Guillermo Senna wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's an online "game" I made for students to practice eliminating
> microphone feedback with a 7-band graphic EQ. You get a point only if
> the first band you choose to cut is the closest to the frequency of
> the acoustic feedback.
>
> https://gsenna.github.io/LarsenEffectGame/
>
> I know it probably should be easier to simulate the Larsen effect
> using a delay line with feedback, but I had some issues with that
> approach and didn't have the time to debug it properly.
>
> Also, I was wondering about using csound.requestControlChannel to set
> a callback for reading a channel inside JS. I tried that, but couldn't
> make it work. Is a JS timer the only alternative for this now?
>

> Cheers!

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Microphone Feedback Game
Oeyvind,

Your digital ear training course is awesome!