[Csnd] The Suspenseful Flute, generative atonal example using sndwarpst

Date2023-01-07 07:13
FromScott Daughtrey
Subject[Csnd] The Suspenseful Flute, generative atonal example using sndwarpst
https://soundcloud.com/st-csound/the-suspenseful-flute-csound-see-song-description

Nothing too exciting here, a basic generative suspense piece. It is interesting though (for me as a relative Csound novice anyways) to hear Csound generate arguably better soundscapes than I've heard in some Netflix B movies, with a single flute sample and a few minor tweaks.

No tables or arrays used, no notes in the score, just random generation rounded off chromatically.

With a few better samples and some effort one could probably create, if nothing else, some good bed tracks that could be used as layers in more complete pieces. As I'm sure others have already done (feel free to post links if you like).

As an aside, given much of the recent talk in forums and YouTube about OpenAI, I ponder how much difference there really is between AI generated and "composed" generative (aleatoric, algorithmic) music? It would be an interesting discussion.

Thanks to Iain McCurdy for the original example and of course all the developers who make Csound possible.

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] The Suspenseful Flute, generative atonal example using sndwarpst
Hi Scott!
Jan 7 2023, Scott Daughtrey has written:

> https://soundcloud.com/st-csound/the-suspenseful-flute-csound-see-song-description
This is a wonderful little piece. Very suspenseful and atmospheric.
Thanks also for the inspiration. Through your example I began work on a
sound based on sndwarpst with some midification.

The question about AI and human composers of music with strong aleatoric
aspects is an interesting one, but I think at some point the "human
genius" or character/style/inventiveness will apply again. The question
might be when and where in music based so strongly on generative means.
I suppose "generative" itself is such a "big term". Sorry, just my short
speculation, thinking out aloud.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

All I need is time
A moment that is mine
While I'm in between <3
(Britney Spears)

FromIain McCurdy
SubjectRe: [Csnd] The Suspenseful Flute, generative atonal example using sndwarpst
Very nice, Scott! I like how, even when using just a single source sound and process, you can pivot mood using harmony, range and window size.
Thanks for sharing,
Iain

Jan 7 2023, Scott Daughtrey has written:

> https://soundcloud.com/st-csound/the-suspenseful-flute-csound-see-song-description
This is a wonderful little piece. Very suspenseful and atmospheric.
Thanks also for the inspiration. Through your example I began work on a
sound based on sndwarpst with some midification.

The question about AI and human composers of music with strong aleatoric
aspects is an interesting one, but I think at some point the "human
genius" or character/style/inventiveness will apply again. The question
might be when and where in music based so strongly on generative means.
I suppose "generative" itself is such a "big term". Sorry, just my short
speculation, thinking out aloud.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

All I need is time
A moment that is mine
While I'm in between <3
(Britney Spears)

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] The Suspenseful Flute, generative atonal example using sndwarpst
Scott,

A very nice piece.  Thanks for composing and sharing.
Please consider sharing your .csd too.
I have been showing your generative music in my classes at Berklee.  They have been inspired.
Later this semester, I would like to show this one too (especially since you do not use tables).

Every semester, I do a week on generative/algorithmic music and feature Iain's 'Haiku' masterpiece
(a game changer for everyone who hears them), some Gogins (also amazing), some by Yi and many others.
Last semester, I started sharing your work too - and the students really enjoyed it.

So thanks!

Wishing you all the best in 2023.

- Dr.B

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

On Sat, Jan 7, 2023 at 2:11 AM Scott Daughtrey <stunes6556@gmail.com> wrote:
https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=soundcloud.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9zb3VuZGNsb3VkLmNvbS9zdC1jc291bmQvdGhlLXN1c3BlbnNlZnVsLWZsdXRlLWNzb3VuZC1zZWUtc29uZy1kZXNjcmlwdGlvbg==&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=QThpNloxVDNzUkREUVB3VFdidktNM1kvUWJ4c1FUeWtGdElmMC84RTg3az0=&h=f3512edc4d204d809b049db3d466e119&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A

[...]

https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=heanet.ie&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5oZWFuZXQuaWUvY2dpLWJpbi93YT9BMD1DU09VTkQ=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=WVZMRlI4dlFUVUZ6V2NTOUU5eE9lZnFIemtoc2hxYlBDMFFCWmtKZzhzRT0=&h=f3512edc4d204d809b049db3d466e119&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A
Send bugs reports to
        https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9jc291bmQvaXNzdWVz&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=YlNrQ2lLclRLZUpGUE1iR0FyY2M1eW1NTUU5SUozWlJwMTNZU2NXT1BLOD0=&h=f3512edc4d204d809b049db3d466e119&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A

FromPablo Frank
To share the .csd file will be immensely helpful.