Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

[Csnd] Csound for Android & Android devices, especially Chromebooks

Date2022-12-14 02:09
FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject[Csnd] Csound for Android & Android devices, especially Chromebooks
You might recall my problem trying to get Csound files to run on Chromebooks. Today the answer bumped into me. The issue is specifying the correct paths for storage of samples and written output.

Michael, in his User Guide - Csound for Android .pdf (included in his app), correctly states that a complete path (in quotes) must point to the Music directory, which for recent Android devices is: /storage/emulated/0/Music. This requirement applies equally to Chromebooks.

It  is important to note that this dictum applies to the *output file* (.wav) as well.

It is easy enough to find the Music folder on an Android phone; it's right there in the tree for all to see. (Of course it would be happier if the required pathname itself were more intuitive.)

Unfortunately, Chromebook trees *completely* abandon intuition. Searching "Files" doesn't readily show a Music folder. It shows a "My Files", with subdirectories "Downloads" and "Play files".

I'd never guessed that "Music" was a subdirectory of "Play files" - but indeed this is the case. (storage/emulated/0/Music) is the designated Music folder where everything (samples and output) is to reside. Naming and discovering paths is quite an issue here.

It would certainly help if Csound wouldn't crash after looking for a sample file and not finding it in the required location. You have about 2 seconds to view the Message pane before Csound retreats to the app selector screen. (Perhaps Mike could remedy this in a new release?)

The same doesn't happen if you have an incorrect path for your .wav output. Everything seems fine until you want to listen to your music, and it's nowhere to be found (apparently unwritten).

With questions answered regarding file storage and sample handling on Chromebooks, these inexpensive Android devices are more than viable for serious Csound work.
Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here