[Csnd] plugins release

Subject[Csnd] plugins release
Dear All,

the first release of Csound 6 standard plugins is out now, with binaries for MacOS and Windows.

https://github.com/csound/plugins/releases/tag/1.0

Thanks to Rory Walsh for adjusting the Windows build and producing a binary installer.

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] plugins release
Wonderful news!

Thanks to Victor, Rory, Francois, Eduardo, John, and Michael.

- dB

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

SubjectRe: [Csnd] plugins release
I am happy to say that on Ubuntu 20.04, after building the Faust master branch with the Faust shared library, and setting the ABLETON_LINK_HOME environment variable, I easily built the following targets:

../build/py/libpy.so
../build/chua/libchua.so
../build/image/libimage.so
../build/AbletonLinkOpcodes/libableton_link_opcodes.so
../build/widgets/libwidgets.so
../build/faustcsound/libfaustcsound.so

I would very much appreciate it if some developer with a Windows development system would debug the vst3 opcodes in https://github.com/gogins/csound-vst3-opcodes. The Windows build builds on GitHub continuous integration and can be downloaded, but it crashes, while the Linux and MacOS binaries work.

Regards,

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 5:30 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
Wonderful news!

Thanks to Victor, Rory, Francois, Eduardo, John, and Michael.

- dB

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

SubjectRe: [Csnd] plugins release
However, there's a problem:

WARNING: could not open library '/home/mkg/.local/lib/csound/6.0/plugins64/libfaustcsound.so' (/home/mkg/.local/lib/csound/6.0/plugins64/libfaustcsound.so: undefined symbol: _Z16deleteDSPFactoryP16llvm_dsp_factory)

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 9:23 PM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] plugins release
Looks like the faust library you have is not compatible. I tested here on MacOS with the latest release (2.33) and I saw no issues.

On Aug 21, 2021, at 2:31 AM, Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

[...]

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] plugins release
I checked this on MacOS and libfaust 2.33.1 has it

% nm ~/lib/faust-2.33.1/lib/libfaust.2.33.1.dylib | grep  _Z16deleteDSPFactoryP16llvm_dsp_factory
0000000000488fc0 T __Z16deleteDSPFactoryP16llvm_dsp_factory

So I presume you need to check your faust installation. I’ve also asked at the faust list.

> [...]
>
> Thanks to Rory Walsh for adjusting the Windows build and producing a binary installer.

> https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=heanet.ie&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5oZWFuZXQuaWUvY2dpLWJpbi93YT9BMD1DU09VTkQ=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=WVZMRlI4dlFUVUZ6V2NTOUU5eE9lZnFIemtoc2hxYlBDMFFCWmtKZzhzRT0=&h=300284cd8fa541d5bdc319a3b0fadb4b
> Send bugs reports to
>         https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9jc291bmQvaXNzdWVz&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=YlNrQ2lLclRLZUpGUE1iR0FyY2M1eW1NTUU5SUozWlJwMTNZU2NXT1BLOD0=&h=300284cd8fa541d5bdc319a3b0fadb4b

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] plugins release
Stéphane has confirmed in the faust list that this function is part of the current API.

> [...]
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=heanet.ie&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5oZWFuZXQuaWUvY2dpLWJpbi93YT9BMD1DU09VTkQ=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=WVZMRlI4dlFUVUZ6V2NTOUU5eE9lZnFIemtoc2hxYlBDMFFCWmtKZzhzRT0=&h=300284cd8fa541d5bdc319a3b0fadb4b
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9jc291bmQvaXNzdWVz&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=YlNrQ2lLclRLZUpGUE1iR0FyY2M1eW1NTUU5SUozWlJwMTNZU2NXT1BLOD0=&h=300284cd8fa541d5bdc319a3b0fadb4b
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] plugins release
I have this version:

mkg@xenakis:~/plugins/build$ faust --version
FAUST Version 2.33.1
Embedded backends:
Copyright (C) 2002-2021, GRAME - Centre National de Creation Musicale. All rights reserved.

It lacks the symbol "deleteDSPFactory". But I will try the master-dev branch of Faust.

Thanks for checking, this should help.

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 6:26 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
[...]

With the master-dev branch of Faust I get this compiler error:

In file included from /home/mkg/faust/compiler/generator/llvm/llvm_dsp_aux.cpp:44:
/home/mkg/faust/compiler/generator/llvm/llvm_dsp_aux.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool llvm_dsp_factory_aux::writeDSPFactoryToMachineFile(const string&, const string&)’:
/home/mkg/faust/compiler/generator/llvm/llvm_dsp_aux.hh:55:36: error: ‘F_None’ is not a member of ‘llvm::sys::fs’; did you mean ‘OF_None’?
   55 | #define sysfs_binary_flag sys::fs::F_None

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 8:06 AM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Maybe you don't have the right version of LLVM?

According to this you need version 8 or above

https://github.com/grame-cncm/faust/wiki/Building

On Aug 21, 2021, at 1:17 PM, Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

../build/faustcsound/libfaustcsound.so

I would very much appreciate it if some developer with a Windows development system would debug the vst3 opcodes in https://github.com/gogins/csound-vst3-opcodes. The Windows build builds on GitHub continuous integration and can be downloaded, but it crashes, while the Linux and MacOS binaries work.

Regards,

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 5:30 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
Wonderful news!

Thanks to Victor, Rory, Francois, Eduardo, John, and Michael.

- dB

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] plugins release
That's strange, I have the same version and as you could see it was there.

On Aug 21, 2021, at 1:07 PM, Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

FromEduardo Moguillansky
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] plugins release

On ubuntu 21.04 the faust plugins build and install ok

$ apt list --installed "*faust*"
faust-common/hirsute,hirsute,now 2.30.5~ds0-2 all [installed,automatic]
faust/hirsute,now 2.30.5~ds0-2 amd64 [installed]
libfaust2/hirsute,now 2.30.5~ds0-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]

$ apt list --installed "*llvm*"
libllvm11/hirsute,now 1:11.0.1-2ubuntu4 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libllvm11/hirsute,now 1:11.0.1-2ubuntu4 i386 [installed,automatic]
libllvm12/hirsute,now 1:12.0.0-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
libllvm4.0/now 1:4.0.1-10build1 amd64 [installed,local]
libllvm5.0/now 1:5.0.2-2 amd64 [installed,local]
libllvm9/hirsute,now 1:9.0.1-16 amd64 [installed,automatic]
llvm-11-dev/hirsute,now 1:11.0.1-2ubuntu4 amd64 [installed,automatic]
llvm-11-linker-tools/hirsute,now 1:11.0.1-2ubuntu4 amd64 [installed,automatic]
llvm-11-runtime/hirsute,now 1:11.0.1-2ubuntu4 amd64 [installed,automatic]
llvm-11-tools/hirsute,now 1:11.0.1-2ubuntu4 amd64 [installed,automatic]
llvm-11/hirsute,now 1:11.0.1-2ubuntu4 amd64 [installed,automatic]
llvm-12-dev/hirsute,now 1:12.0.0-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
llvm-12-linker-tools/hirsute,now 1:12.0.0-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
llvm-12-runtime/hirsute,now 1:12.0.0-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
llvm-12-tools/hirsute,now 1:12.0.0-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
llvm-12/hirsute,now 1:12.0.0-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,]
llvm-4.0-dev/now 1:4.0.1-10build1 amd64 [installed,local]
llvm-4.0-runtime/now 1:4.0.1-10build1 amd64 [installed,local]
llvm-4.0/now 1:4.0.1-10build1 amd64 [installed,local]
llvm-9-dev/hirsute,now 1:9.0.1-16 amd64 [installed,automatic]
llvm-9-runtime/hirsute,now 1:9.0.1-16 amd64 [installed,automatic]
llvm-9-tools/hirsute,now 1:9.0.1-16 amd64 [installed,automatic]
llvm-9/hirsute,now 1:9.0.1-16 amd64 [installed,automatic]
llvm-dev/hirsute,now 1:12.0-52~exp1 amd64 [installed]
llvm-runtime/hirsute,now 1:12.0-52~exp1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
llvm/hirsute,now 1:12.0-52~exp1 amd64 [installed]
On 21.08.21 14:35, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> [...]

../build/faustcsound/libfaustcsound.so

I would very much appreciate it if some developer with a Windows development system would debug the vst3 opcodes in https://github.com/gogins/csound-vst3-opcodes. The Windows build builds on GitHub continuous integration and can be downloaded, but it crashes, while the Linux and MacOS binaries work.

Regards,

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 5:30 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
Wonderful news!

Thanks to Victor, Rory, Francois, Eduardo, John, and Michael.

- dB

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] plugins release
Thanks for confirming.

> [...]
>>>
>>> mkg@xenakis:~/plugins/build$ faust --version
>>> FAUST Version 2.33.1
>>> Embedded backends:
>>> Copyright (C) 2002-2021, GRAME - Centre National de Creation Musicale. All rights reserved.
>>>
>>> It lacks the symbol "deleteDSPFactory". But I will try the master-dev branch of Faust.
>>>
>>> Thanks for checking, this should help.
>>> Mike

>>> Michael Gogins
>>> Irreducible Productions
>>> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
>>> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>>>

>>> On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 6:26 AM Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>>> Looks like the faust library you have is not compatible. I tested here on MacOS with the latest release (2.33) and I saw no issues.
>>>
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] plugins release
Ah, I see you are missing the LLVM IR backend. This is what I have

 % ~/lib/faust-2.33.1/bin/faust --version
FAUST Version 2.33.1
Embedded backends:
   DSP to C
   DSP to C++
   DSP to CSharp
   DSP to DLang
   DSP to FIR
   DSP to Interpreter
   DSP to Java
   DSP to LLVM IR
   DSP to old C++
   DSP to Rust
   DSP to SOUL
   DSP to WebAssembly (wast/wasm)
Build with LLVM version 12.0.0
> [...]

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=heanet.ie&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5oZWFuZXQuaWUvY2dpLWJpbi93YT9BMD1DU09VTkQ=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=WVZMRlI4dlFUVUZ6V2NTOUU5eE9lZnFIemtoc2hxYlBDMFFCWmtKZzhzRT0=&h=300284cd8fa541d5bdc319a3b0fadb4b
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9jc291bmQvaXNzdWVz&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=YlNrQ2lLclRLZUpGUE1iR0FyY2M1eW1NTUU5SUozWlJwMTNZU2NXT1BLOD0=&h=300284cd8fa541d5bdc319a3b0fadb4b
>>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] plugins release
You are correct, my version of Faust did not have any back ends.

I fixed that, but I still had the opcodes crashing during load.

I finally gave up trying to build Faust from sources, and just installed the following system packages for Faust:

mkg@xenakis:~/faust/build$ apt list --installed "*faust*"
Listing... Done
faust-common/focal,focal,now 2.20.2~ds0-1 all [installed]
faust/focal,now 2.20.2~ds0-1 amd64 [installed]
libfaust2/focal,now 2.20.2~ds0-1 amd64 [installed]

Even though deleteDSPFactory is still undefined in the Faust opcodes library, and even though on Ubuntu 20.04 the Faust version is only 2.20.2, the opcodes nevertheless build and load without error. I haven't done fancy tests, but the example in the Csound Reference Manual runs.

Thanks,

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 8:52 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> [...]

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=heanet.ie&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5oZWFuZXQuaWUvY2dpLWJpbi93YT9BMD1DU09VTkQ=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=WVZMRlI4dlFUVUZ6V2NTOUU5eE9lZnFIemtoc2hxYlBDMFFCWmtKZzhzRT0=&h=300284cd8fa541d5bdc319a3b0fadb4b
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9jc291bmQvaXNzdWVz&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=YlNrQ2lLclRLZUpGUE1iR0FyY2M1eW1NTUU5SUozWlJwMTNZU2NXT1BLOD0=&h=300284cd8fa541d5bdc319a3b0fadb4b
>>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] plugins release
Thanks for this. I think any Faust 2.x works (and possibly earlier versions too).

On Aug 21, 2021, at 5:39 PM, Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

>>> Ireland
>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=heanet.ie&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5oZWFuZXQuaWUvY2dpLWJpbi93YT9BMD1DU09VTkQ=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=WVZMRlI4dlFUVUZ6V2NTOUU5eE9lZnFIemtoc2hxYlBDMFFCWmtKZzhzRT0=&h=300284cd8fa541d5bdc319a3b0fadb4b
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9jc291bmQvaXNzdWVz&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=YlNrQ2lLclRLZUpGUE1iR0FyY2M1eW1NTUU5SUozWlJwMTNZU2NXT1BLOD0=&h=300284cd8fa541d5bdc319a3b0fadb4b
>>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

I've been porting some of the Faust examples in https://faustide.grame.fr/ to Csound patches.

In most cases, the examples are not useful in my particular rather pitch based style of composition, but I find that some of the sounds are very attractive, such as the bells. In other cases I have got sounds that I like that I can get pitches out of.

I am putting the patches in https://github.com/gogins/csound-extended/tree/develop/silencio/patches if anyone wants to look at them. The filenames all start with "Faust".

I have a big question: Are there other open source repositories of instruments or effects created in Faust that would make sense to use in Csound?

Regards,

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 9:31 PM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Looks very interesting, thanks for sharing.

On 26 Aug 2021, at 02:12, Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I have booked the Faust examples that I have ported, into the csound-extended/develop branch here: https://github.com/gogins/csound-extended/tree/develop/silencio/patches.

The module system, which explains how to use such patches, is explained here: https://github.com/gogins/csound-extended/blob/develop/silencio/patches/modular_csound.pdf.

I still need to clean up some stuff, that could take a day or two.

Regards,