[Csnd] p5.js

Subject[Csnd] p5.js
Looks like they want to re-do their sound stuff

an opportunity for Csound? Or for Csounders to earn some development cash?

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] p5.js
I'm not surprised. I've hit some serious issues with p5.sound, I reckon they'll stick strictly to web audio rather than any wasm stuff, although I didn't read the call 🤣

On Wed 9 Nov 2022, 6:19 p.m. Victor Lazzarini, <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Looks like they want to re-do their sound stuff

an opportunity for Csound? Or for Csounders to earn some development cash?

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] p5.js
12k for 200 hours work

On 9 Nov 2022, at 20:22, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

I'm not surprised. I've hit some serious issues with p5.sound, I reckon they'll stick strictly to web audio rather than any wasm stuff, although I didn't read the call 🤣

On Wed 9 Nov 2022, 6:19 p.m. Victor Lazzarini, <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Looks like they want to re-do their sound stuff

an opportunity for Csound? Or for Csounders to earn some development cash?

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] p5.js
I've often thought about making a p5.csound but the current js Csound is so easy to use there doesn't seem to be any need. But it would be good PR.

On Wed 9 Nov 2022, 8:37 p.m. Victor Lazzarini, <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
12k for 200 hours work

On 9 Nov 2022, at 20:22, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

I'm not surprised. I've hit some serious issues with p5.sound, I reckon they'll stick strictly to web audio rather than any wasm stuff, although I didn't read the call 🤣

On Wed 9 Nov 2022, 6:19 p.m. Victor Lazzarini, <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Looks like they want to re-do their sound stuff

an opportunity for Csound? Or for Csounders to earn some development cash?

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] p5.js
Previous versions of Webaudio Csound seemed to play well together with p5.js, there's some examples by Steven showing that. I would expect this continues to be the case in Csound Wasm.

On 9 Nov 2022, at 20:45, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

[...]

p5js and Csound are an extremely powerful combo. I don't think there is any chance the proposed p5js sound update will come anywhere close to it.

On Wed 9 Nov 2022, 9:43 p.m. Victor Lazzarini, <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
[...]

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] p5.js
Maybe worth doing?

p5.csound

I am sure that in addition to the excellent PR for csound that this might make web audio with csound even more intuitive and elegant.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music

On Nov 9, 2022, at 3:44 PM, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

[...]

The problem is it becomes another interface to maintain and keep in sync with what Steven Hloover and Ed are doing. And if it's not maintained and sync-ed tightly it will end up being bad for Csound. Maybe a super lightweight wrapper might work. Basically something to expose the Csound object to users in p5js. Something like

let cs = new p5.Csound();

and after that users can just call all the native Csound object methods. It would really just be a marketing exercise 😂 But still...

On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 at 11:59, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
[...]

this lightweight wrapper would be a great feature!!

On 10/11/2022 13:14, Rory Walsh wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>         12k for 200 hours work
>>
>>         Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>         Maynooth University
>>         Ireland
>>
>>>         On 9 Nov 2022, at 20:22, Rory Walsh >>         > wrote:
>>>

>>>           *Warning*
>>>
>>>         This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's
>>>         Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments
>>>         unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>>>
>>>         I'm not surprised. I've hit some serious issues with
>>>         p5.sound, I reckon they'll stick strictly to web audio rather
>>>         than any wasm stuff, although I didn't read the call 🤣
>>>
>>>         On Wed 9 Nov 2022, 6:19 p.m. Victor Lazzarini,
>>>         > wrote:
>>>
>>>             Looks like they want to re-do their sound stuff
>>>
>>>             https://processingfoundation.org/fellowships/p5-sound-fellow-2023-open-call
>>>
>>>             an opportunity for Csound? Or for Csounders to earn some

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] p5.js
I'll take a look and see if it's worth it 👍

On Fri 11 Nov 2022, 8:29 a.m. joachim heintz, <jh@joachimheintz.de> wrote:
> [...]

> > and after that users can just call all the native Csound object methods.
> > It would really just be a marketing exercise 😂 But still...
> >
> > On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 at 11:59, Dr. Richard Boulanger
> > > wrote:
> >
> >     Maybe worth doing?
> >
> >     p5.csound
> >
> >     I am sure that in addition to the excellent PR for csound that this
> >     might make web audio with csound even more intuitive and elegant.
> >
> >     Dr. Richard Boulanger
> >     Professor
> >     Electronic Production and Design
> >     Berklee College of Music
> >
> >>     On Nov 9, 2022, at 3:44 PM, Rory Walsh  >>     > wrote:
> >>

> >>     I've often thought about making a p5.csound but the current js
> >>     Csound is so easy to use there doesn't seem to be any need. But it
> >>     would be good PR.
> >>
> >>     On Wed 9 Nov 2022, 8:37 p.m. Victor Lazzarini,

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] p5.js
Yeah, but I don't think they would go for a 3rd party library. I get the impression they want to do it with native web audio.

On Fri, 11 Nov 2022 at 09:35, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
12k for 200 hours

> [...]
> >>     <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
> >>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> >>     <https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=heanet.ie&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5oZWFuZXQuaWUvY2dpLWJpbi93YT9BMD1DU09VTkQ=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=WVZMRlI4dlFUVUZ6V2NTOUU5eE9lZnFIemtoc2hxYlBDMFFCWmtKZzhzRT0=&h=885be754eb224168a9691c5b671e6827&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A> Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues <https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9jc291bmQvaXNzdWVz&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=YlNrQ2lLclRLZUpGUE1iR0FyY2M1eW1NTUU5SUozWlJwMTNZU2NXT1BLOD0=&h=885be754eb224168a9691c5b671e6827&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A> Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] p5.js
Maybe they would consider paying something to support this effort.