[Csnd] CsoundQt v1.1.1

Date2022-11-01 07:59
FromTarmo Johannes
Subject[Csnd] CsoundQt v1.1.1
Hi!

After a  very long time - I am glad to announce a new release  of CsoundQt -

CsoundQt v 1.1.1 is out!

It is successor to v0.9.8.1. Please pay no attention to the leap in version number -  there was some confusion with version numbers at some point, but it does not matter.

A big part of the many improvements are  by Eduardo Moguillansky, greatest thanks!  A lot of work on the examples has been done by Joachim Heintz.

Also thanks to all people who submitted bug reports or gave feedback!

For downloads, see the assets part at the end of the github release page.

Please note that there are also experimental "all in one" packages  including Csound -  so the user does not need to install Csound separately. Most likely the MacOS CsoundQt+Csound is problematic due the many versions and architectures on MacOS (CsoundQt is built on Catalina on Intel architecture), it might not work for you but please give a try.

For Linux users, there is also an AppImage that should work on any 64 bit Linux out of the box -  just download the file, make it executable and run it.

Please let me know if there are any problems!

Best regards,
tarmo

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] CsoundQt v1.1.1
Well done to Tarmo and Eduardo. This is a really great step forward.

> On 1 Nov 2022, at 07:59, Tarmo Johannes  wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hi!
>
> After a  very long time - I am glad to announce a new release  of CsoundQt -
>
> CsoundQt v 1.1.1 is out!
> https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/releases/tag/v1.1.1
> https://csoundqt.github.io/release111.html
>
> It is successor to v0.9.8.1. Please pay no attention to the leap in version number -  there was some confusion with version numbers at some point, but it does not matter.
>
> A big part of the many improvements are  by Eduardo Moguillansky, greatest thanks!  A lot of work on the examples has been done by Joachim Heintz.
>
> Also thanks to all people who submitted bug reports or gave feedback!
>
> For downloads, see the assets part at the end of the github release page.
>
> Please note that there are also experimental "all in one" packages  including Csound -  so the user does not need to install Csound separately. Most likely the MacOS CsoundQt+Csound is problematic due the many versions and architectures on MacOS (CsoundQt is built on Catalina on Intel architecture), it might not work for you but please give a try.
>
> For Linux users, there is also an AppImage that should work on any 64 bit Linux out of the box -  just download the file, make it executable and run it.
>
> Please let me know if there are any problems!
>
> Best regards,
> tarmo

FromTetsuya Miwa
SubjectRe: [Csnd] CsoundQt v1.1.1
A big thank you to Tarmo, Eduardo and Joachim!

I found a link for donation in this site but it does not work. Is there another way to donate?
http://csoundqt.github.io/pages/contribute.html

Tetsuya Miwa

> 2022/11/01 16:59、Tarmo Johannes のメール:
>
> Hi!
>
> After a  very long time - I am glad to announce a new release  of CsoundQt -
>
> CsoundQt v 1.1.1 is out!
> https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/releases/tag/v1.1.1
> https://csoundqt.github.io/release111.html
>
> It is successor to v0.9.8.1. Please pay no attention to the leap in version number -  there was some confusion with version numbers at some point, but it does not matter.
>
> A big part of the many improvements are  by Eduardo Moguillansky, greatest thanks!  A lot of work on the examples has been done by Joachim Heintz.
>
> Also thanks to all people who submitted bug reports or gave feedback!
>
> For downloads, see the assets part at the end of the github release page.
>
> Please note that there are also experimental "all in one" packages  including Csound -  so the user does not need to install Csound separately. Most likely the MacOS CsoundQt+Csound is problematic due the many versions and architectures on MacOS (CsoundQt is built on Catalina on Intel architecture), it might not work for you but please give a try.
>
> For Linux users, there is also an AppImage that should work on any 64 bit Linux out of the box -  just download the file, make it executable and run it.
>
> Please let me know if there are any problems!
>
> Best regards,
> tarmo

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] CsoundQt v1.1.1
Dear Tetsuya,

This is very kind of you! Indeed, appears that the "Donate" button is still from the old sourceforge times when Andés Cabrera cereated the software, I have never rearranged it. There is no organization but more than one person behind the development, so  I actually don't know what would be best with these kind of generous donation offers...

What we need the most are people who would learn building CsoundQt on Windows and MacOS (M1 preferably)  and would help with  testing, making the packages or perhaps  help with preparing the github action scripts to make the building automatic. I would say a M1 volunteer would be most welcome at the first place.

Thanks!
tarmo

Kontakt Tetsuya Miwa (<izc07036@nifty.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval K, 2. november 2022 kell 16:41:
A big thank you to Tarmo, Eduardo and Joachim!

I found a link for donation in this site but it does not work. Is there another way to donate?
http://csoundqt.github.io/pages/contribute.html

Tetsuya Miwa

> 2022/11/01 16:59、Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@GMAIL.COM>のメール:
>
> Hi!
>
> After a  very long time - I am glad to announce a new release  of CsoundQt -
>
> CsoundQt v 1.1.1 is out!
> https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/releases/tag/v1.1.1
> https://csoundqt.github.io/release111.html
>
> It is successor to v0.9.8.1. Please pay no attention to the leap in version number -  there was some confusion with version numbers at some point, but it does not matter.
>
> A big part of the many improvements are  by Eduardo Moguillansky, greatest thanks!  A lot of work on the examples has been done by Joachim Heintz.
>
> Also thanks to all people who submitted bug reports or gave feedback!
>
> For downloads, see the assets part at the end of the github release page.
>
> Please note that there are also experimental "all in one" packages  including Csound -  so the user does not need to install Csound separately. Most likely the MacOS CsoundQt+Csound is problematic due the many versions and architectures on MacOS (CsoundQt is built on Catalina on Intel architecture), it might not work for you but please give a try.
>
> For Linux users, there is also an AppImage that should work on any 64 bit Linux out of the box -  just download the file, make it executable and run it.
>
> Please let me know if there are any problems!
>
> Best regards,
> tarmo

FromEduardo Moguillansky
SubjectRe: [Csnd] CsoundQt v1.1.1
I agree with Tarmo that help with the different platforms is most needed in order to make releases more often, since even if a build script for github actions would be in place for windows and arm macos (which would be great!) it would be still necessary to test those builds, test regressions, performance, etc. This release was actually ready almost a year ago, waiting for testing and packages.

On the other hand, if we could gather enough donations to buy an M1 machine that would be helpful as well.

best regards,
Eduardo

On 03.11.22 09:15, Tarmo Johannes  wrote:
> [...]
>      > For Linux users, there is also an AppImage that should work on
>     any 64 bit Linux out of the box -  just download the file, make it
>     executable and run it.
>      >
>      > Please let me know if there are any problems!
>      >
>      > Best regards,
>      > tarmo
>      > Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>
>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>      Send bugs reports
>     to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>      Discussions of bugs and
>     features can be posted here
>
>     Csound mailing list
>     Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>
>     Send bugs reports to
>     https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>
>     Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromCian
SubjectRe: [Csnd] CsoundQt v1.1.1
I have an M1. Where do I learn.

On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 04:17 Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Tetsuya,

This is very kind of you! Indeed, appears that the "Donate" button is still from the old sourceforge times when Andés Cabrera cereated the software, I have never rearranged it. There is no organization but more than one person behind the development, so  I actually don't know what would be best with these kind of generous donation offers...

What we need the most are people who would learn building CsoundQt on Windows and MacOS (M1 preferably)  and would help with  testing, making the packages or perhaps  help with preparing the github action scripts to make the building automatic. I would say a M1 volunteer would be most welcome at the first place.

Thanks!
tarmo

Kontakt Tetsuya Miwa (<izc07036@nifty.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval K, 2. november 2022 kell 16:41:
A big thank you to Tarmo, Eduardo and Joachim!

I found a link for donation in this site but it does not work. Is there another way to donate?
http://csoundqt.github.io/pages/contribute.html

Tetsuya Miwa

> 2022/11/01 16:59、Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@GMAIL.COM>のメール:
>
> Hi!
>
> After a  very long time - I am glad to announce a new release  of CsoundQt -
>
> CsoundQt v 1.1.1 is out!
> https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/releases/tag/v1.1.1
> https://csoundqt.github.io/release111.html
>
> It is successor to v0.9.8.1. Please pay no attention to the leap in version number -  there was some confusion with version numbers at some point, but it does not matter.
>
> A big part of the many improvements are  by Eduardo Moguillansky, greatest thanks!  A lot of work on the examples has been done by Joachim Heintz.
>
> Also thanks to all people who submitted bug reports or gave feedback!
>
> For downloads, see the assets part at the end of the github release page.
>
> Please note that there are also experimental "all in one" packages  including Csound -  so the user does not need to install Csound separately. Most likely the MacOS CsoundQt+Csound is problematic due the many versions and architectures on MacOS (CsoundQt is built on Catalina on Intel architecture), it might not work for you but please give a try.
>
> For Linux users, there is also an AppImage that should work on any 64 bit Linux out of the box -  just download the file, make it executable and run it.
>
> Please let me know if there are any problems!
>
> Best regards,
> tarmo

Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd] CsoundQt v1.1.1
I thought I might give csoundQT a trial but i cannot see how to get a
version for Liuxx.  The release page says there are 7 asetts but I cannot
see them: just an never ending ring of waiting.

==John nff

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] CsoundQt v1.1.1
Hi!

@Cian, thanks a  lot for you readyness to build, I will open soon another thread with building instructions.

@John, this is direct Linux AppImage:

Download it, change mode to executable and you should be able to run it.

tarmo

Kontakt john (<jpff@codemist.co.uk>) kirjutas kuupäeval R, 4. november 2022 kell 22:03:
I thought I might give csoundQT a trial but i cannot see how to get a
version for Liuxx.  The release page says there are 7 asetts but I cannot
see them: just an never ending ring of waiting.

==John nff

FromForrest Curo
SubjectRe: [Csnd] CsoundQt v1.1.1
On ubuntu 22.04 this version looks to be a lovely program -- but when I hit 'configuration' and >test audio setup there are warnings.
Jack does say the system is connected to csound6, & csound6 to jack;

but just running the "hello world.csd" example I'm getting no beep, but instead:"

Cannot write file /tmp/.mount_CsoundPv1nrY/usr/share/csoundqt/Examples/CsoundQt/Getting Started/Basics/Hello World.csd:

Read-only file system.

"

Have I just misconfigured something, or do I have some perverse permissions error?

Forrest Curo

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 3:14 PM Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi!

@Cian, thanks a  lot for you readyness to build, I will open soon another thread with building instructions.

@John, this is direct Linux AppImage:

Download it, change mode to executable and you should be able to run it.

tarmo

Kontakt john (<jpff@codemist.co.uk>) kirjutas kuupäeval R, 4. november 2022 kell 22:03:
I thought I might give csoundQT a trial but i cannot see how to get a
version for Liuxx.  The release page says there are 7 asetts but I cannot
see them: just an never ending ring of waiting.

==John nff

FromForrest Curo
SubjectRe: [Csnd] CsoundQt v1.1.1
Ah, running the file in a terminal produces a one-note .wav file.
The csoundQT problem, then, is with finding where to write that .wav file?

On Sat, Nov 5, 2022 at 8:38 PM Forrest Curo <treegestalt@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Hi,

I have not tested the Appimage very much. AppImage creates and mounts a temporary file system where are the Csound and all the necessary libraries live, including examples.
Seems, it is a small bug by me that CsoundQt tries to save the file on run although it does not need to... If you save the csd to your local file system, it should work.

Tarmo

P, 6. november 2022 07:11 Forrest Curo <treegestalt@gmail.com> kirjutas:
[...]

Dear Tarmo,

I’m still using Intel Mac and not familiar with application development, but I can at least help testing.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Tetsuya Miwa

> 2022/11/03 17:15、Tarmo Johannes のメール:
>
> Dear Tetsuya,
>
> This is very kind of you! Indeed, appears that the "Donate" button is still from the old sourceforge times when Andés Cabrera cereated the software, I have never rearranged it. There is no organization but more than one person behind the development, so  I actually don't know what would be best with these kind of generous donation offers...
>
> What we need the most are people who would learn building CsoundQt on Windows and MacOS (M1 preferably)  and would help with  testing, making the packages or perhaps  help with preparing the github action scripts to make the building automatic. I would say a M1 volunteer would be most welcome at the first place.
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo
>

> Kontakt Tetsuya Miwa () kirjutas kuupäeval K, 2. november 2022 kell 16:41:
> A big thank you to Tarmo, Eduardo and Joachim!
>
> I found a link for donation in this site but it does not work. Is there another way to donate?
> http://csoundqt.github.io/pages/contribute.html
>
> Tetsuya Miwa
>
> > 2022/11/01 16:59、Tarmo Johannes のメール:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > After a  very long time - I am glad to announce a new release  of CsoundQt -
> >
> > CsoundQt v 1.1.1 is out!
> > https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/releases/tag/v1.1.1
> > https://csoundqt.github.io/release111.html
> >
> > It is successor to v0.9.8.1. Please pay no attention to the leap in version number -  there was some confusion with version numbers at some point, but it does not matter.
> >
> > A big part of the many improvements are  by Eduardo Moguillansky, greatest thanks!  A lot of work on the examples has been done by Joachim Heintz.
> >
> > Also thanks to all people who submitted bug reports or gave feedback!
> >
> > For downloads, see the assets part at the end of the github release page.
> >
> > Please note that there are also experimental "all in one" packages  including Csound -  so the user does not need to install Csound separately. Most likely the MacOS CsoundQt+Csound is problematic due the many versions and architectures on MacOS (CsoundQt is built on Catalina on Intel architecture), it might not work for you but please give a try.
> >
> > For Linux users, there is also an AppImage that should work on any 64 bit Linux out of the box -  just download the file, make it executable and run it.
> >
> > Please let me know if there are any problems!
> >
> > Best regards,
> > tarmo
> > Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromForrest Curo
SubjectRe: [Csnd] CsoundQt v1.1.1
Okay, my sound problem was not with csoundQt, but with misconfiguring jack for a new hardware device.

& csoundQt has no problem saving a wav file in my home directory as "4.wav".

On Sun, Nov 6, 2022 at 4:57 AM Tetsuya Miwa <IZC07036@nifty.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > Please note that there are also experimental "all in one" packages  including Csound -  so the user does not need to install Csound separately. Most likely the MacOS CsoundQt+Csound is problematic due the many versions and architectures on MacOS (CsoundQt is built on Catalina on Intel architecture), it might not work for you but please give a try.
> >
> > For Linux users, there is also an AppImage that should work on any 64 bit Linux out of the box -  just download the file, make it executable and run it.
> >
> > Please let me know if there are any problems!
> >
> > Best regards,
> > tarmo
> > Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

hmm, I copied the examples from the /tmp file to /home/forrest/csoundqt/examples.

How can I configure csoundQt [AppImage] to load all example programs from that directory rather than its built in /tmp default?

On Sun, Nov 6, 2022 at 8:01 AM Forrest Curo <treegestalt@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > Please note that there are also experimental "all in one" packages  including Csound -  so the user does not need to install Csound separately. Most likely the MacOS CsoundQt+Csound is problematic due the many versions and architectures on MacOS (CsoundQt is built on Catalina on Intel architecture), it might not work for you but please give a try.
> >
> > For Linux users, there is also an AppImage that should work on any 64 bit Linux out of the box -  just download the file, make it executable and run it.
> >
> > Please let me know if there are any problems!
> >
> > Best regards,
> > tarmo
> > Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Hi, Forrest,

Yes, it is possible -  set the path in Configure -> Environment -> Examples dir

tarmo

Kontakt Forrest Curo (<treegestalt@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval P, 6. november 2022 kell 19:36:
> [...]

> > Please note that there are also experimental "all in one" packages  including Csound -  so the user does not need to install Csound separately. Most likely the MacOS CsoundQt+Csound is problematic due the many versions and architectures on MacOS (CsoundQt is built on Catalina on Intel architecture), it might not work for you but please give a try.
> >
> > For Linux users, there is also an AppImage that should work on any 64 bit Linux out of the box -  just download the file, make it executable and run it.
> >
> > Please let me know if there are any problems!
> >
> > Best regards,
> > tarmo
> > Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Yes. Didn't seem to take effect until restarting the program. Can now save changes, which is needed when outs go to receivers ("mixer") I don't find (which crashes csouundCt.)

On Sun, Nov 6, 2022 at 11:23 AM Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > Please note that there are also experimental "all in one" packages  including Csound -  so the user does not need to install Csound separately. Most likely the MacOS CsoundQt+Csound is problematic due the many versions and architectures on MacOS (CsoundQt is built on Catalina on Intel architecture), it might not work for you but please give a try.
> >
> > For Linux users, there is also an AppImage that should work on any 64 bit Linux out of the box -  just download the file, make it executable and run it.
> >
> > Please let me know if there are any problems!
> >
> > Best regards,
> > tarmo
> > Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

I had to revert to original copy of example "Live Accordizer.csd"
Running that in a terminal produces an endless stream of  "WARNING: Division by zero", which looks to be the reason for the csoundQt crash.