[Csnd] More fun with the wterrain opcode

Date2022-10-27 10:14
FromScott Daughtrey
Subject[Csnd] More fun with the wterrain opcode
Once again, not having the ability to work with the wterrain2 or sterrain opcodes has me looking at ways to play with the standard wterrain opcode. This example:
https://soundcloud.com/st-csound/cornoid

is a simple experiment using the wterrain opcode in Csound to create a cornoid. The first 10 sec are the standard ellipse produced by wterrain followed by 10 sec with a cornoid curve applied. The next three 20 sec segments are the hybrid cornoid being rotated, rotated with a curve parameter being simultaneously increased, and finally rotation with the curve parameter and radius of X&Y being increased.

For me one of the interesting aspects of this approach is the ability to still use different curves/shapes beyond the ellipse. While possibly not as readily flexible as the other opcodes it still allows for some experimentation.

Here's a page of some possible curves:
https://mathcurve.com/courbes2d.gb/courbes2d.shtml

Here:
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/tg6jwgjodp

you can see a plotted example of an "Asteroid" I took from the above link. Playing "t" will draw the curve. Raising the value of the "a" slider just increases the overall size.

And here:
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/mikfbycmid

the Asteroid can also be rotated using slider "b".

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] More fun with the wterrain opcode
Hi Scott,
this is impressive work. It's fun to look at the code, see the formulas
implmeneted and ready to play. Thanks for sharing! The sound is very hypnotic
too. :)

Best wishes,

Jeanette

Oct 27 2022, Scott Daughtrey has written:

> Once again, not having the ability to work with the wterrain2 or sterrain opcodes has me looking at ways to play with the standard wterrain opcode. This example:
> https://soundcloud.com/st-csound/cornoid
>
> is a simple experiment using the wterrain opcode in Csound to create a cornoid. The first 10 sec are the standard ellipse produced by wterrain followed by 10 sec with a cornoid curve applied. The next three 20 sec segments are the hybrid cornoid being rotated, rotated with a curve parameter being simultaneously increased, and finally rotation with the curve parameter and radius of X&Y being increased.
>
> For me one of the interesting aspects of this approach is the ability to still use different curves/shapes beyond the ellipse. While possibly not as readily flexible as the other opcodes it still allows for some experimentation.
>
> Here's a page of some possible curves:
> https://mathcurve.com/courbes2d.gb/courbes2d.shtml
>
> Here:
> https://www.desmos.com/calculator/tg6jwgjodp
>
> you can see a plotted example of an "Asteroid" I took from the above link. Playing "t" will draw the curve. Raising the value of the "a" slider just increases the overall size.
>
> And here:
> https://www.desmos.com/calculator/mikfbycmid
>
> the Asteroid can also be rotated using slider "b".

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Can't make you love me
I'm just a girl with a crush on you <3