[Csnd] midiin and "Active Sensing"

Date2022-10-17 19:34
From"Jeanette C."
Subject[Csnd] midiin and "Active Sensing"
Hey hey,
I just ran into an issue using the midiin opcode. When a device that sends
active sensing to it is connected, midiin will no longer read/receive the note
off commands. All that is received is note on and status 0. Note on (144) is
repeated for every note, but the first.

Has anyone ever had this issue? Could anyone suggest a workaround? midiin is
necessary, realtime MIDI events won't work. :(

Best wishes and thanks,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

But now I'm stronger than yesterday <3
(Britney Spears)

FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] midiin and "Active Sensing"
FWIW:

Some MIDI devices send a 128 message for MIDI off, some send a 144 message with a value of 0. I always have midiin (or ctrl7) check for both possibilities.

Other possible confounding factors: 1) is controller in momentary contact or latch/press on-press off mode? 2) is -M flag appropriately set?

Art H.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 2:36 PM Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:
Hey hey,
I just ran into an issue using the midiin opcode. When a device that sends
active sensing to it is connected, midiin will no longer read/receive the note
off commands. All that is received is note on and status 0. Note on (144) is
repeated for every note, but the first.

Has anyone ever had this issue? Could anyone suggest a workaround? midiin is
necessary, realtime MIDI events won't work. :(

Best wishes and thanks,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

But now I'm stronger than yesterday <3
(Britney Spears)

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] midiin and "Active Sensing"
Oct 17 2022, Arthur Hunkins has written:

> FWIW:
>
> Some MIDI devices send a 128 message for MIDI off, some send a 144 message
> with a value of 0.
Many, many thanks Art! That was exactly it, I didn't know about that.
Apparently my sequencer does that automatically. It's fixed now.

Best wishes,