[Csnd] A little aleatoric experiment using the mandel opcode

Date2022-10-13 20:39
FromScott Daughtrey
Subject[Csnd] A little aleatoric experiment using the mandel opcode
Came across the mandel opcode while looking thru the Canonical reference manual. There's a brief backstory here:
https://forum.csound.com/t/mandel-csd-new-version/

I posted a slightly updated csd here for anyone interested:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WBLCbxt17n7E1BTvHqOlqVEhYEt6GKOX/view?usp=drivesdk

I'm still extremely new to Csound so any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thank you for reading.

Frommskala@ANSUZ.SOOKE.BC.CA
SubjectRe: [Csnd] A little aleatoric experiment using the mandel opcode
On Thu, 13 Oct 2022, Scott Daughtrey wrote:

> Came across the mandel opcode while looking thru the Canonical reference manual. There's a brief backstory here:
> https://forum.csound.com/t/mandel-csd-new-version/

I've done a little bit that you might find interesting with tracing the
boundary of the Mandelbrot set and using the real and imaginary
coordinates as waveforms.  It blows my mind, but happens to be the case,
that there is a simple recurrence relation known to produce the Fourier
expansion of the coordinates as a function of the external argument,
basically the "angle" around the set's boundary.  So generating the
waveform that results from running around a path approximating the
boundary, is relatively easy, especially if you wanted to work in the
frequency domain anyway.  Web log articles about my experiments here.
The first article involved using Csound to generate the waveforms, though
the actual calculations of the coefficients were done separately by other
code and all Csound does is play that precalculated spectrum.

  https://northcoastsynthesis.com/news/listening-to-the-mandelbrot-set/
  https://northcoastsynthesis.com/news/listening-longer-to-the-mandelbrot-set/

--
Matthew Skala
mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before tribes.

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] A little aleatoric experiment using the mandel opcode
Nice.

Hopefully you will continue to explore and share in this area.

I will show to my Berklee students next week!

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music

> [...]
>
> I've done a little bit that you might find interesting with tracing the
> boundary of the Mandelbrot set and using the real and imaginary
> coordinates as waveforms.  It blows my mind, but happens to be the case,
> that there is a simple recurrence relation known to produce the Fourier
> expansion of the coordinates as a function of the external argument,
> basically the "angle" around the set's boundary.  So generating the
> waveform that results from running around a path approximating the
> boundary, is relatively easy, especially if you wanted to work in the
> frequency domain anyway.  Web log articles about my experiments here.
> The first article involved using Csound to generate the waveforms, though
> the actual calculations of the coefficients were done separately by other
> code and all Csound does is play that precalculated spectrum.
>
>  https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=northcoastsynthesis.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9ub3J0aGNvYXN0c3ludGhlc2lzLmNvbS9uZXdzL2xpc3RlbmluZy10by10aGUtbWFuZGVsYnJvdC1zZXQv&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=akxsdko0OEQyQzdUY3FBYmc1Q0k4Q3dqalZmUFF6amdXUno0TEl0UDBCRT0=&h=e2a80d18d61c4584aca651de83a24e5f&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A==
>  https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=northcoastsynthesis.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9ub3J0aGNvYXN0c3ludGhlc2lzLmNvbS9uZXdzL2xpc3RlbmluZy1sb25nZXItdG8tdGhlLW1hbmRlbGJyb3Qtc2V0Lw==&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=Rmcwc1ZyTUdRSUVmR2phcjhBdTd3MUMwQmlYdGp5cEpnRy9wSmFKMHo5ND0=&h=e2a80d18d61c4584aca651de83a24e5f&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A==
>
> --
> Matthew Skala
> mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before tribes.
> https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=sooke.bc.ca&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9hbnN1ei5zb29rZS5iYy5jYS8=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=U2JnSy84MzVvY3dlWTU0d0ZDYkwxN3NvZTNhSVVUK2RrTm11NXVuT2VLZz0=&h=e2a80d18d61c4584aca651de83a24e5f&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A==

> https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=heanet.ie&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5oZWFuZXQuaWUvY2dpLWJpbi93YT9BMD1DU09VTkQ=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=WVZMRlI4dlFUVUZ6V2NTOUU5eE9lZnFIemtoc2hxYlBDMFFCWmtKZzhzRT0=&h=e2a80d18d61c4584aca651de83a24e5f&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A==
> Send bugs reports to
>        https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9jc291bmQvaXNzdWVz&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=YlNrQ2lLclRLZUpGUE1iR0FyY2M1eW1NTUU5SUozWlJwMTNZU2NXT1BLOD0=&h=e2a80d18d61c4584aca651de83a24e5f&s=AVNPUEhUT0NFTkNSWVBUSVYpmKWVU1jKuTPLD5gnaWwAaG5wwcHTpfjKIfFGmt9h9A==

FromKelly Hirai
SubjectRe: [Csnd] A little aleatoric experiment using the mandel opcode
i had to edit ftgen on line 19 to explicitly state the number of points,
also set the gen number to negative so it does not get normalized to 1.

   giNotes ftgen 0, 0, 22, -2, ...

im hearing sound that sounds like plucking behind the nut, which is
pretty cool, but i don't see where it comes from yet.

k.

On 10/13/22 3:39 PM, Scott Daughtrey wrote:
> Came across the mandel opcode while looking thru the Canonical reference manual. There's a brief backstory here:
> https://forum.csound.com/t/mandel-csd-new-version/
>
> I posted a slightly updated csd here for anyone interested:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WBLCbxt17n7E1BTvHqOlqVEhYEt6GKOX/view?usp=drivesdk
>
> I'm still extremely new to Csound so any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thank you for reading.

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

kelly hirai
https://hiraimusic.net/~khirai

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] A little aleatoric experiment using the mandel opcode
AttachmentsNone