[Csnd] Csound Web-IDE Presentation

Subject[Csnd] Csound Web-IDE Presentation
Hi All,

I thought I'd share the presentation I gave at the WebAudio Conference
2019 on the Csound-WebIDE project developed by Ed Costello, Hlöðver
Sigurðsson, and myself:

https://youtu.be/_IkdlYnCTnE?t=16657

(Aplogies, I realized I said "parallel carriers, single modulator"
when I should have said "parallel modulators, single carrier"...
oops!)

The video talks about motivations and the demo goes through the
features in the site and in the editor.  One part I missed was showing
the built-in csound manual documentation lookup (ctrl-. automatically
opens up the docs for an opcode where the cursor is).

There are a few more things we need to develop for the public beta
(next couple of weeks hopefully!) but you're welcome to sign up for an
account and start experimenting. The site's URL is:

https://ide.csound.com

Feedback welcome here, on channel #web-ide on Slack, and through
issues on Github. We'll have a more formal beta launch shortly.

Thanks!
Steven

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Web-IDE Presentation
Just catching up on this now. Great stuff guys. Looks great.

On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 at 17:45, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

It’s great!

But, man, we need to get rid of that cS logo. It gives the wrong idea!

> On 9 Dec 2019, at 14:31, Rory Walsh  wrote:
>
> Just catching up on this now. Great stuff guys. Looks great.
>
> On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 at 17:45, Steven Yi  wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I thought I'd share the presentation I gave at the WebAudio Conference
> 2019 on the Csound-WebIDE project developed by Ed Costello, Hlöðver
> Sigurðsson, and myself:
>
> https://youtu.be/_IkdlYnCTnE?t=16657
>
> (Aplogies, I realized I said "parallel carriers, single modulator"
> when I should have said "parallel modulators, single carrier"...
> oops!)
>
> The video talks about motivations and the demo goes through the
> features in the site and in the editor.  One part I missed was showing
> the built-in csound manual documentation lookup (ctrl-. automatically
> opens up the docs for an opcode where the cursor is).
>
> There are a few more things we need to develop for the public beta
> (next couple of weeks hopefully!) but you're welcome to sign up for an
> account and start experimenting. The site's URL is:
>
> https://ide.csound.com
>
> Feedback welcome here, on channel #web-ide on Slack, and through
> issues on Github. We'll have a more formal beta launch shortly.
>
> Thanks!
> Steven

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Web-IDE Presentation
great site for exploring the modern csound, and nice talk!
congrats and thanks, also for the link -
	joachim

On 08/12/2019 18:45, Steven Yi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I thought I'd share the presentation I gave at the WebAudio Conference
> 2019 on the Csound-WebIDE project developed by Ed Costello, Hlöðver
> Sigurðsson, and myself:
>
> https://youtu.be/_IkdlYnCTnE?t=16657
>
> (Aplogies, I realized I said "parallel carriers, single modulator"
> when I should have said "parallel modulators, single carrier"...
> oops!)
>
> The video talks about motivations and the demo goes through the
> features in the site and in the editor.  One part I missed was showing
> the built-in csound manual documentation lookup (ctrl-. automatically
> opens up the docs for an opcode where the cursor is).
>
> There are a few more things we need to develop for the public beta
> (next couple of weeks hopefully!) but you're welcome to sign up for an
> account and start experimenting. The site's URL is:
>
> https://ide.csound.com
>
> Feedback welcome here, on channel #web-ide on Slack, and through
> issues on Github. We'll have a more formal beta launch shortly.
>
> Thanks!
> Steven

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Web-IDE Presentation
Thanks for this work. I watched the talk and the quesitons.

This has a lot of good stuff, especially the ability to get files and
resources into the cloud and back from the cloud.

I have a suggestion, perhaps you are already considering this, but in
addition to editing and running .csd files, please add the capability
of editing and running .html Web pages that embed Csound.

Best,

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 7:41 AM joachim heintz  wrote:

> great site for exploring the modern csound, and nice talk!
> congrats and thanks, also for the link -
>         joachim
>

> On 08/12/2019 18:45, Steven Yi wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I thought I'd share the presentation I gave at the WebAudio Conference
> > 2019 on the Csound-WebIDE project developed by Ed Costello, Hlöðver
> > Sigurðsson, and myself:
> >
> > https://youtu.be/_IkdlYnCTnE?t=16657
> >
> > (Aplogies, I realized I said "parallel carriers, single modulator"
> > when I should have said "parallel modulators, single carrier"...
> > oops!)
> >
> > The video talks about motivations and the demo goes through the
> > features in the site and in the editor.  One part I missed was showing
> > the built-in csound manual documentation lookup (ctrl-. automatically
> > opens up the docs for an opcode where the cursor is).
> >
> > There are a few more things we need to develop for the public beta
> > (next couple of weeks hopefully!) but you're welcome to sign up for an
> > account and start experimenting. The site's URL is:
> >
> > https://ide.csound.com
> >
> > Feedback welcome here, on channel #web-ide on Slack, and through
> > issues on Github. We'll have a more formal beta launch shortly.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Steven
> >
> > Csound mailing list
> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Web-IDE Presentation
+1 for html support!
Thanks!
Tarmo

T, 10. detsember 2019 19:31 Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> kirjutas:

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 7:41 AM joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de> wrote:

> great site for exploring the modern csound, and nice talk!
> congrats and thanks, also for the link -
>         joachim
>

> On 08/12/2019 18:45, Steven Yi wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I thought I'd share the presentation I gave at the WebAudio Conference
> > 2019 on the Csound-WebIDE project developed by Ed Costello, Hlöðver
> > Sigurðsson, and myself:
> >
> > https://youtu.be/_IkdlYnCTnE?t=16657
> >
> > (Aplogies, I realized I said "parallel carriers, single modulator"
> > when I should have said "parallel modulators, single carrier"...
> > oops!)
> >
> > The video talks about motivations and the demo goes through the
> > features in the site and in the editor.  One part I missed was showing
> > the built-in csound manual documentation lookup (ctrl-. automatically
> > opens up the docs for an opcode where the cursor is).
> >
> > There are a few more things we need to develop for the public beta
> > (next couple of weeks hopefully!) but you're welcome to sign up for an
> > account and start experimenting. The site's URL is:
> >
> > https://ide.csound.com
> >
> > Feedback welcome here, on channel #web-ide on Slack, and through
> > issues on Github. We'll have a more formal beta launch shortly.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Steven
> >
> > Csound mailing list
> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Web-IDE Presentation
Thanks so much for the inspiring talk, Steven. It was great seeing you here!
Kudos to all three of you for making this great IDE. It did sell Csound to the WAC crowd.
And for those who were not here, also check out the jam session where Steven played together with Michel Buffa, Luis Arandas, Cagri Erdem and Ariane Stolfi:

Oeyvind

søn. 8. des. 2019 kl. 18:45 skrev Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com>:
[...]

@oeyvind: Yes, a great pleasure to be able to participate at the
conference, it was so well organized!  Great to see you and the rest
of the NTNU folks there, such a great group. :)

Thanks all for the replies. I must say the project owes a lot to Ed
and Hlodver who have done fantastic work.

Regarding HTML, it hasn't been on our radar as of yet. For myself, I
think focusing on having a GUI editor first (ala classic CsoundQt and
Blue) will work out well for some of the integration plans (export to
Cabbage to get to VST/AU; export to Blue; export standalone
applications; publish to WebAudio Module (WAM) and WebAudio Plugin
(WAP); etc).  I think it would also serve the conservatory/music
department demographic a bit better to have the visual editor be
there. I am thinking for non-programmers coming to Csound, that's one
language they'd have to learn. To get into interactive audio with
interfaces, it'd be nice to not have to learn a second language (well,
HTML and JS and CSS) at that point.

That said, adding an HTML filetype and basic text editor with
highlighting would probably be not very difficult. It gets trickier
dealing with the rest of the internal things and having to figure out
exposing asset files externally such that it's accessible from a
Csound instance within web page.

I'd suggest filing an issue on the github project [1] as it will take
some research to figure out what's involved. We've got a number of
things to get to the first beta and release and we'll look at UI and
other things in the next dev round.

[1] - https://github.com/csound/web-ide/issues

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 3:10 PM Oeyvind Brandtsegg  wrote:

> Thanks so much for the inspiring talk, Steven. It was great seeing you here!
> Kudos to all three of you for making this great IDE. It did sell Csound to the WAC crowd.
> And for those who were not here, also check out the jam session where Steven played together with Michel Buffa, Luis Arandas, Cagri Erdem and Ariane Stolfi:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md7zwyc7UsI&feature=youtu.be&t=3859
>
> Oeyvind
>

> søn. 8. des. 2019 kl. 18:45 skrev Steven Yi :
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I thought I'd share the presentation I gave at the WebAudio Conference
>> 2019 on the Csound-WebIDE project developed by Ed Costello, Hlöðver
>> Sigurðsson, and myself:
>>
>> https://youtu.be/_IkdlYnCTnE?t=16657
>>
>> (Aplogies, I realized I said "parallel carriers, single modulator"
>> when I should have said "parallel modulators, single carrier"...
>> oops!)
>>
>> The video talks about motivations and the demo goes through the
>> features in the site and in the editor.  One part I missed was showing
>> the built-in csound manual documentation lookup (ctrl-. automatically
>> opens up the docs for an opcode where the cursor is).
>>
>> There are a few more things we need to develop for the public beta
>> (next couple of weeks hopefully!) but you're welcome to sign up for an
>> account and start experimenting. The site's URL is:
>>
>> https://ide.csound.com
>>
>> Feedback welcome here, on channel #web-ide on Slack, and through
>> issues on Github. We'll have a more formal beta launch shortly.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Steven
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Fromandy fillebrown
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Web-IDE Presentation
This is nice. Thank you. Please make it work on iOS Safari, too.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 7:25 PM Steven Yi  wrote:

> [...]
> >> features in the site and in the editor.  One part I missed was showing
> >> the built-in csound manual documentation lookup (ctrl-. automatically
> >> opens up the docs for an opcode where the cursor is).
> >>
> >> There are a few more things we need to develop for the public beta
> >> (next couple of weeks hopefully!) but you're welcome to sign up for an
> >> account and start experimenting. The site's URL is:
> >>
> >> https://ide.csound.com
> >>
> >> Feedback welcome here, on channel #web-ide on Slack, and through
> >> issues on Github. We'll have a more formal beta launch shortly.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Steven
> >>
> >> Csound mailing list
> >> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> >> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> >> Send bugs reports to
> >>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> >> Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Web-IDE Presentation
I don't think we'll be putting much powder into ios and android (for same reason that xcode and Atom aren't on mobile devices). But at minimum, we'd want to make sure that a play and stop features are visible on any mobile device that supports WASM.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 7:25 PM Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> opens up the docs for an opcode where the cursor is).
> >>
> >> There are a few more things we need to develop for the public beta
> >> (next couple of weeks hopefully!) but you're welcome to sign up for an
> >> account and start experimenting. The site's URL is:
> >>
> >> https://ide.csound.com
> >>
> >> Feedback welcome here, on channel #web-ide on Slack, and through
> >> issues on Github. We'll have a more formal beta launch shortly.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Steven
> >>
> >> Csound mailing list
> >> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> >> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> >> Send bugs reports to
> >>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> >> Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Fromandy fillebrown
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound Web-IDE Presentation

My phone is always with me. It has a very capable processor. I already write CSDs with it using RunloopSound. I’m looking for a better Csound IDE than RunloopSound.

Xcode and Atom are not generally useful on iOS because their primary use-cases require breaking the iOS security model. Csound IDEs do not have this problem. I would find an updated iOS Csound UI very useful. I would build one myself if I had time. I currently use RunloopSound but it has not been updated for a while and I don’t have access to it’s source. I need a better solution. Since my current project uses Csound WASM, the Csound Web-IDE would be a good fit for me but the UI is broken on iOS and I’m not familiar enough with React to know if there is a quick fix I can submit as a PR. Thus the request here.

I would also like to create CSDs anonymously in a “playground” type format using public URLs that point to immutable versions of the CSDs, with changes to the CSDs being saved under new URLs. This is a common way of sharing code in other communities and is now possible with Csound via WASM.

I think WASM is a game changer and I love that Steven is using it and making his code available. I see WASM as the most viable solution for creating cross-platform Csound apps with one code-base and I think Csound WASM will soon be the version most new users encounter first.

The future is unpredictable and I understand if it’s decided to put development effort in elsewhere, but WASM is taking off, Csound is in a good position to target it, and I’m finding it immediately useful, so I’ll put in my +1 when anything Csound WASM come across my feeds, especially as it relates to iOS.

Thanks for listening to my 2 cents.

~ Andy Fillebrown