[Csnd] Repeated score sections

Date2020-10-10 05:45
FromJason Hallen
Subject[Csnd] Repeated score sections
Hi everyone,

I've created a Python script which generates Csound scores, and I make use of the section repetition feature (e.g. r 4 REPEAT).  Ideally, the section would loop over and over according a fixed tempo, however that doesn't happen.  At the end of the section there's a pause before it loops back to the start.  I suspect this is because it's waiting for some of the notes at the end of the section to finish sounding before looping to the start again.  This results in awkward start/stop rhythms when looping.

Is there a way to force the section to loop without waiting for the notes at the end to finish?  It would be great if those finals notes could continue to sound while the start of the section has begun playing through again.

Thanks for your help!
Jason

FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Repeated score sections
Does. The {. } repeat system not help?

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

On Oct 10, 2020, 05:46, at 05:46, Jason Hallen  wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I've created a Python script which generates Csound scores, and I make
>use
>of the section repetition feature (e.g. r 4 REPEAT).  Ideally, the
>section
>would loop over and over according a fixed tempo, however that doesn't
>happen.  At the end of the section there's a pause before it loops back
>the start.  I suspect this is because it's waiting for some of the
>notes at
>the end of the section to finish sounding before looping to the start
>again.  This results in awkward start/stop rhythms when looping.
>
>Is there a way to force the section to loop without waiting for the
>notes
>at the end to finish?  It would be great if those finals notes could
>continue to sound while the start of the section has begun playing
>through
>again.
>
>Thanks for your help!
>Jason
>
>Csound mailing list
>Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>Send bugs reports to
>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromJason Hallen
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Repeated score sections
Thanks for the suggestion!  I didn't know about the {. } repeat system.  It does fix the problem when looping through the same section.  I can now repeat the section at a fixed meter regardless of how long the final notes are.  However, my score generator produces one section after another, and each section is looped an arbitrary number of times before moving on to the next one.  I still have the same problem where I have to wait until the notes finish in the first section before the next section starts.  I'd rather keep a fixed meter across the sections for the purposes of this piece.

Is this just inherent in the way Csound handles sections?  All notes must finish in the section before the next one will be triggered?  In that case, I'll have to think of some other solutions.

Thanks!
Jason

On Oct 10, 2020, 05:46, at 05:46, Jason Hallen <hallenj@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I've created a Python script which generates Csound scores, and I make
>use
>of the section repetition feature (e.g. r 4 REPEAT).  Ideally, the
>section
>would loop over and over according a fixed tempo, however that doesn't
>happen.  At the end of the section there's a pause before it loops back
>the start.  I suspect this is because it's waiting for some of the
>notes at
>the end of the section to finish sounding before looping to the start
>again.  This results in awkward start/stop rhythms when looping.
>
>Is there a way to force the section to loop without waiting for the
>notes
>at the end to finish?  It would be great if those finals notes could
>continue to sound while the start of the section has begun playing
>through
>again.
>
>Thanks for your help!
>Jason
>
>Csound mailing list
>Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>Send bugs reports to
>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Repeated score sections
Yes, sections finish before starting a new one.

I overcome this by judicoius use if b and B score opcodes when I generate  C_based scores

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

On Oct 10, 2020, 15:28, at 15:28, Jason Hallen  wrote:
> [...]
>> >through
>> >again.
>> >
>> >Thanks for your help!
>> >Jason
>> >
>> >Csound mailing list
>> >Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> >https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>> >Send bugs reports to
>> >        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> >Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>

>Csound mailing list
>Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>Send bugs reports to
>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromJason Hallen
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Repeated score sections
Thanks for the suggestion of using the b score opcode.  This led me to an article in the Csound journal by Jim Aikin all about looping techniques, which should help me find a solution.

Thanks!
Jason