[Csnd] how to assign to a sub-array?

Date2020-12-19 20:56
FromDave Seidel
Subject[Csnd] how to assign to a sub-array?
Attachmentsmin-arrary-udo.csd
I'm trying to write code that copies an array (created by a UDO) to an array within another array. That is, given an array or arrays thus

gi_ary[][] init 30, 128

I would like to be able to assign/copy to the "inner" arrays. for example

gi_ary[0] = my_udo(...)

where "my_udo" returns an array. However, I get this:

error:  Unable to find opcode entry for '=' with matching argument types:
Found: i = k[]

I've attached an example.

Thanks for any help!

- Dave

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] how to assign to a sub-array?
FWIW, using setrow() instead of "=" gives the same error.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 3:56 PM Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm trying to write code that copies an array (created by a UDO) to an array within another array. That is, given an array or arrays thus

gi_ary[][] init 30, 128

I would like to be able to assign/copy to the "inner" arrays. for example

gi_ary[0] = my_udo(...)

where "my_udo" returns an array. However, I get this:

error:  Unable to find opcode entry for '=' with matching argument types:
Found: i = k[]

I've attached an example.

Thanks for any help!

- Dave

SubjectRe: [Csnd] how to assign to a sub-array?
There's an issue here about gi_array[0] being reported as an i-type,
but regardless your idea to assign a one dimensional array to the area
within a two dimensional array shouldn't work.  Multidimensional
arrays are different from a list of lists and it seems like you're
thinking more the latter than the former.  (For example, see the
conversation here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40895721/python-is-a-multidimensional-array-matrix-the-same-thing-as-lists-within-li).
I don't know if we can do something to address making something like
this possible with some checks for matching dimensions but as it
stands now it's not possible.

Regarding setrow(), I would expect that to work though I'm not sure if
it would using function-call syntax (not sure of its implementation).
What code did you use to test that?

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 6:48 PM Dave Seidel  wrote:

> FWIW, using setrow() instead of "=" gives the same error.
>
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 3:56 PM Dave Seidel  wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to write code that copies an array (created by a UDO) to an array within another array. That is, given an array or arrays thus
>>
>> gi_ary[][] init 30, 128
>>

>> I would like to be able to assign/copy to the "inner" arrays. for example
>>
>> gi_ary[0] = my_udo(...)
>>

>> where "my_udo" returns an array. However, I get this:
>>
>> error:  Unable to find opcode entry for '=' with matching argument types:
>> Found: i = k[]
>>
>> I've attached an example.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>>
>> - Dave

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] how to assign to a sub-array?
You're correct that I was thinking of them as lists of lists. But after some thought, I've decided to use an array of tables instead, and that seems to work fine.

- Dave

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 6:48 PM Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW, using setrow() instead of "=" gives the same error.
>
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 3:56 PM Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to write code that copies an array (created by a UDO) to an array within another array. That is, given an array or arrays thus
>>
>> gi_ary[][] init 30, 128
>>

>> I would like to be able to assign/copy to the "inner" arrays. for example
>>
>> gi_ary[0] = my_udo(...)
>>

>> where "my_udo" returns an array. However, I get this:
>>
>> error:  Unable to find opcode entry for '=' with matching argument types:
>> Found: i = k[]
>>
>> I've attached an example.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>>
>> - Dave

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] how to assign to a sub-array?
That said, I think it would be very useful to be able to have an array of arrays (list of lists) as distinct from a multidimensional array.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 10:47 PM Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
You're correct that I was thinking of them as lists of lists. But after some thought, I've decided to use an array of tables instead, and that seems to work fine.

- Dave

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 7:26 PM Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
There's an issue here about gi_array[0] being reported as an i-type,
but regardless your idea to assign a one dimensional array to the area
within a two dimensional array shouldn't work.  Multidimensional
arrays are different from a list of lists and it seems like you're
thinking more the latter than the former.  (For example, see the
conversation here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40895721/python-is-a-multidimensional-array-matrix-the-same-thing-as-lists-within-li).
I don't know if we can do something to address making something like
this possible with some checks for matching dimensions but as it
stands now it's not possible.

Regarding setrow(), I would expect that to work though I'm not sure if
it would using function-call syntax (not sure of its implementation).
What code did you use to test that?

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 6:48 PM Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW, using setrow() instead of "=" gives the same error.
>
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 3:56 PM Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to write code that copies an array (created by a UDO) to an array within another array. That is, given an array or arrays thus
>>
>> gi_ary[][] init 30, 128
>>

>> I would like to be able to assign/copy to the "inner" arrays. for example
>>
>> gi_ary[0] = my_udo(...)
>>

>> where "my_udo" returns an array. However, I get this:
>>
>> error:  Unable to find opcode entry for '=' with matching argument types:
>> Found: i = k[]
>>
>> I've attached an example.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>>
>> - Dave

FromBernard Geyer
SubjectRe: [Csnd] how to assign to a sub-array?
I am currently using tables instead of arrays.
Since I can't have array pointers in csound, I'm using tables instead.
 I can create and destroy tables at will (like with new and free in c ++), and therefore load and change different projects without leaving csound,
because I don't need to know their sizes in advance.
 Also, with tables, I don't need to know if my data is irate or krate.
And instead of table arrays, I am using tables of tables.
Am i wrong?

Le dim. 20 déc. 2020 à 14:01, Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> a écrit :
That said, I think it would be very useful to be able to have an array of arrays (list of lists) as distinct from a multidimensional array.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 10:47 PM Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
You're correct that I was thinking of them as lists of lists. But after some thought, I've decided to use an array of tables instead, and that seems to work fine.

- Dave

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 7:26 PM Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
There's an issue here about gi_array[0] being reported as an i-type,
but regardless your idea to assign a one dimensional array to the area
within a two dimensional array shouldn't work.  Multidimensional
arrays are different from a list of lists and it seems like you're
thinking more the latter than the former.  (For example, see the
conversation here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40895721/python-is-a-multidimensional-array-matrix-the-same-thing-as-lists-within-li).
I don't know if we can do something to address making something like
this possible with some checks for matching dimensions but as it
stands now it's not possible.

Regarding setrow(), I would expect that to work though I'm not sure if
it would using function-call syntax (not sure of its implementation).
What code did you use to test that?

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 6:48 PM Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW, using setrow() instead of "=" gives the same error.
>
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 3:56 PM Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to write code that copies an array (created by a UDO) to an array within another array. That is, given an array or arrays thus
>>
>> gi_ary[][] init 30, 128
>>

>> I would like to be able to assign/copy to the "inner" arrays. for example
>>
>> gi_ary[0] = my_udo(...)
>>

>> where "my_udo" returns an array. However, I get this:
>>
>> error:  Unable to find opcode entry for '=' with matching argument types:
>> Found: i = k[]
>>
>> I've attached an example.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>>
>> - Dave

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] how to assign to a sub-array?
Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. I just have a slight preference for arrays, because (as a programmer) I find array syntax -- my_array[1] -- more intuitive than table syntax -- table(0, my_table). Tables work great. But variable rate does matter depending on context -- sometimes I can use table(), sometimes I need to use tablekt() (for example).

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 9:39 AM Bernard Geyer <micamusic2@gmail.com> wrote:
I am currently using tables instead of arrays.
Since I can't have array pointers in csound, I'm using tables instead.
 I can create and destroy tables at will (like with new and free in c ++), and therefore load and change different projects without leaving csound,
because I don't need to know their sizes in advance.
 Also, with tables, I don't need to know if my data is irate or krate.
And instead of table arrays, I am using tables of tables.
Am i wrong?

Le dim. 20 déc. 2020 à 14:01, Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> a écrit :
That said, I think it would be very useful to be able to have an array of arrays (list of lists) as distinct from a multidimensional array.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 10:47 PM Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
You're correct that I was thinking of them as lists of lists. But after some thought, I've decided to use an array of tables instead, and that seems to work fine.

- Dave

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 7:26 PM Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
There's an issue here about gi_array[0] being reported as an i-type,
but regardless your idea to assign a one dimensional array to the area
within a two dimensional array shouldn't work.  Multidimensional
arrays are different from a list of lists and it seems like you're
thinking more the latter than the former.  (For example, see the
conversation here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40895721/python-is-a-multidimensional-array-matrix-the-same-thing-as-lists-within-li).
I don't know if we can do something to address making something like
this possible with some checks for matching dimensions but as it
stands now it's not possible.

Regarding setrow(), I would expect that to work though I'm not sure if
it would using function-call syntax (not sure of its implementation).
What code did you use to test that?

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 6:48 PM Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW, using setrow() instead of "=" gives the same error.
>
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 3:56 PM Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to write code that copies an array (created by a UDO) to an array within another array. That is, given an array or arrays thus
>>
>> gi_ary[][] init 30, 128
>>

>> I would like to be able to assign/copy to the "inner" arrays. for example
>>
>> gi_ary[0] = my_udo(...)
>>

>> where "my_udo" returns an array. However, I get this:
>>
>> error:  Unable to find opcode entry for '=' with matching argument types:
>> Found: i = k[]
>>
>> I've attached an example.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>>
>> - Dave

FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd] how to assign to a sub-array?
You should know that in csound there are no lefthand values available in arrays.  Maybe in cs7?

On 21 Dec 2020, at 14:48, Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 6:48 PM Dave Seidel < dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW, using setrow() instead of "=" gives the same error.
>
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 3:56 PM Dave Seidel < dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to write code that copies an array (created by a UDO) to an array within another array. That is, given an array or arrays thus
>>
>> gi_ary[][] init 30, 128
>>

>> I would like to be able to assign/copy to the "inner" arrays. for example
>>
>> gi_ary[0] = my_udo(...)
>>

>> where "my_udo" returns an array. However, I get this:
>>
>> error:  Unable to find opcode entry for '=' with matching argument types:
>> Found: i = k[]
>>
>> I've attached an example.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>>
>> - Dave

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] how to assign to a sub-array?
John, what do you mean by "lefthand value"?