[Csnd] Buffer playback quality

Date2019-10-27 16:37
FromSeunghunn Yu
Subject[Csnd] Buffer playback quality
Hello all!

I am just trying out recording and playing back onto buffer using a mic.
Does anyone know how to improve the quality of the playback? It sounds awful...

Here is what I have...
----------------------------------
<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
-odac1
-iadc1
</CsOptions>

<CsInstruments>
sr = 44100
kr = 4410
nchnls = 11
0dbfs = 1

giBuffer1 ftgen 0, 0, 262144, 7, 0

instr 1
 amic inch 11
 aindex line 0, p3, ftlen(giBuffer1)
 tablew amic, aindex, giBuffer1
endin

instr 2
 aindex line 0, p3, ftlen(giBuffer1)
 aout tablei aindex, giBuffer1
 out aout
endin
.
.
.
</CsInstruments>

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Buffer playback quality
try

  ksmps = 1

instead of

  kr = 4100

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 12:37 PM Seunghunn Yu <s.hunnyu43@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply Dave,
Would that be the only possible solution? The playback still doesnt sound that clear... ;(
Hmm...

- Sean

2019년 10월 27일 (일) 17:52, Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com>님이 작성:
[...]

Could you describe what you mean by "awful"?  Hard to diagnose from that. One thing to try though is setting nchnls_i to the number of input channels for your device.

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 1:33 PM Seunghunn Yu <s.hunnyu43@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I dont know how to describe it, but the quality is lost. It is not clean, as if it is pixelated... there are no samples out of range but there is still this effect of clipping..

2019년 10월 27일 (일) 18:53, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com>님이 작성:
[...]

Does your audio interface really have 11-in/11-out?

[...]

Thanks for the reply Steven! I am using ADAT in out of a digital mixer and the channels start from 11. And that was just a test, so I wrote 11 just to check out the first mic.

2019년 10월 27일 (일) 20:15, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com>님이 작성:
[...]

FromPablo Zoani Heffele
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Buffer playback quality
Hello. Did you tried with table instead of tablei? I guess you dont need interpolation?
Regards

[...]

Hi Pablo, yes Ive tried both. Table had even worse quality.

2019년 10월 27일 (일) 20:56, Pablo Zoani Heffele <pablozoani@hotmail.com>님이 작성:
[...]

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Buffer playback quality
From what you describe, perhaps you have audio dropouts. If you can record your output, so we can hear the artifacts, it will be easier to help.

søn. 27. okt. 2019, 9:12 p.m. skrev Seunghunn Yu <s.hunnyu43@gmail.com>:
[...]

i am also pretty sure that you describe dropouts.  the usual procedure
to diagnoze it would be:
1) look at your hardware and software buffer size (csound options -B and
-b).  set them to 2048 for -B and 512 for -b.
2) set ksmps = 128 (don't set kr).

try again.  if the result is the same, try to set nchnls=2 and use the
first input channel.  also, in my experience it is much better to use
nchnls=16 instead of nchnls=11.

if you use csoundqt with macos mojave, use jackosx rather than portaudio.

some more links:
https://csound.com/docs/manual/UsingOptimizing.html
http://write.flossmanuals.net/csound/d-live-audio/
http://csoundqt.github.io/pages/configuring-csoundqt.html

best -
	joachim

On 27/10/19 21:35, Oeyvind Brandtsegg wrote:
> From what you describe, perhaps you have audio dropouts. If you can
> record your output, so we can hear the artifacts, it will be easier to
> help.
>
> søn. 27. okt. 2019, 9:12 p.m. skrev Seunghunn Yu  >:
>
>     Hi Pablo, yes Ive tried both. Table had even worse quality.
>
>     2019년 10월 27일 (일) 20:56, Pablo Zoani Heffele
>     >님이 작성:
>
>         Hello. Did you tried with table instead of tablei? I guess you
>         dont need interpolation?
>         Regards
>
>         Obtener Outlook para Android

FromSeunghunn Yu
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Buffer playback quality
Oh it works!! Much better now. Thanks Joachim.

- Sean Y.

2019년 10월 28일 (월) 01:56, joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de>님이 작성: