[Csnd] ambisonics encoding equations

Date2020-11-20 20:14
FromMarlon Schumacher
Subject[Csnd] ambisonics encoding equations
Dear list,

after having a look at the ambisonics UDOs (05B in the FLOSS manual examples) I am trying to find/integrate ambisonics encoding equations higher than 8th order. The according ICMC 2014 paper [1] references a website [2] for encoding equations, which seems to be down, and also here [3] equations don’t go beyond 5th order. Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, the paper (published 2014) also mentions future enhancements, e.g. encoding of orders > 8, conversion between semi-normalized and normalized spherical harmonics, conversion between different coordinate systems, near field compensation. Have there been any more developments in that regard?

Thanks and cheers,
Marlon

[2] http://www.ambisonics.ch which is down, and also

SubjectRe: [Csnd] ambisonics encoding equations
hi -

i am already afraid of more than third order ambisonics, so no idea
about what you are asking.  but it looks like icst changed their URLs;
perhaps this helps a tiny bit:
	https://www.zhdk.ch/en/researchproject/icst-ambisonics-plugins-555245

best -
	joachim

On 20/11/2020 21:14, Marlon Schumacher wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> after having a look at the ambisonics UDOs (05B in the FLOSS manual
> examples) I am trying to find/integrate ambisonics encoding equations
> higher than 8th order. The according ICMC 2014 paper [1] references a
> website [2] for encoding equations, which seems to be down, and also
> here [3] equations don’t go beyond 5th order. Any help/pointers would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Btw, the paper (published 2014) also mentions future enhancements, e.g.
> encoding of orders > 8, conversion between semi-normalized
> and normalized spherical harmonics, conversion between different
> coordinate systems, near field compensation. Have there been any more
> developments in that regard?
>
> Thanks and cheers,
> Marlon
>

> [1] http://smc.afim-asso.org/smc-icmc-2014/papers/images/VOL_1/0804.pdf
> [2] http://www.ambisonics.ch which is down, and also
> [3] http://pcfarina.eng.unipr.it/Aurora/HOA_explicit_formulas.htm

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

FromGuillermo Senna
SubjectRe: [Csnd] ambisonics encoding equations

Hi,

Just curious, is this for binaural decoding or do you really have that many speakers to play with?

Conversion between SN3D and N3D I think is trivial: https://github.com/polarch/JSAmbisonics/blob/master/src/ambi-converters.js

Conversion from polar or spherical to cartesian too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinate_system#Cartesian_coordinates

Near field compensation goes in the decoder and was implemented in bformdec2, but that one works up to the 5th order and with fixed loudspeakers layouts.

Cheers.