[Csnd] Many simple programs cause segmentation fault

Date2020-05-02 19:44
FromAnonymous
Subject[Csnd] Many simple programs cause segmentation fault
Hi,

I have recently started learning CSound from the floss manual at https://flossmanual.csound.com/. What I've found is that many, maybe 1/4 of the examples cause a segmentation fault when I copy them verbatim into a .csd file and run them with 'csound example.csd'. The remaining examples work as expected.

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS. When I run CSound I am notified that the current version is "6.10 (double samples) 2018-01-27". CSound was installed using apt package manager, first with 'sudo apt install csound', and then with 'sudo apt install --reinstall *csound*'.

I asked a question on stackoverflow about the segmentation faults I'm receiving and was advised to update my CSound version. However, the version currently installed is not that old, and comes directly from the package manager. I would much rather keep it then try to build it myself and possibly make things worse. The fact that CSound was installed via apt and that it is such a recent version leads me to believe that the cause isn't some bug in 6.10 that causes most simple programs to segfault, or that there are considerable reverse incompatibilities between 6.10 and 6.14 dev.

Here is a list of some examples from the floss manual that cause a segmentation fault on my system.

EXAMPLE 03A08_k-inits_in_multiple_calls_1.csd
EXAMPLE 03A09_k-inits_in_multiple_calls_2.csd
EXAMPLE 03A11_a_inits_in_multiple_calls.csd
EXAMPLE 03A16_FractionalInstrNums.csd

Examples from previous sections which did not run came from a different version of the floss manual. Examples from successive sections have not been tested. In any case, I am certain at this point that there is something wrong with my installation.

I am wondering if any of you who are familiar with CSound can help me troubleshoot this problem.

Thank you

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Many simple programs cause segmentation fault
I'm sorry to say that the packages for Csound are out of date. We recommend cloning the GitHub repository at https://github.com/csound/csound and building Csound from the source code following the instructions at https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/BUILD.md#debian. This has worked very reliably for me.

Hope this helps,

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 2:54 PM Anonymous <blueunicolt@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

hi -

as at least the first three of the examples you quote are old, 6.10
should definitely work.  i am wondering whether something might have
happened in manually copying.

if you are using csoundqt, you will find the examples under Examples >
FLOSS Manual Examples.  if you are running the examples in the terminal,
you can download from here:
https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/tree/develop/src/Examples/FLOSS%20Manual%20Examples

perhaps it is worth to try to download the examples which caused a
segfault, to see whether the issue persists.

best -
	joachim