[Csnd] Csound VR composition

Date2021-07-06 02:57
FromBill Alves
Subject[Csnd] Csound VR composition
Thanks to Rory Walsh and his Csound for Unity, I have put together a virtual reality work in which Csound playback and animation are synchronized:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APfbnMm3v8s

Notice that the music spatialization follows the orientation of the headset. Thanks Rory!

Bill Alves

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound VR composition
Bill,

Awesome Awesome Awesome - and so so subtle and beautiful too!

Bill,as a forever fan of your work and your teaching, I can't wait to be inside your music!
- Hopefully, you will be able to share the project so that I can run it on my Quest2 or SideLoad it or with Virtual Desktop or the Link Cable and Quest2.
--- or whatever you suggest.  I can get my hands on a Rift as well, as my son has one he wants to trade me for my spare Quest2.

Let me know how I can play your piece - if it is possible.

WOW.

Keep going!

-dB

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound VR composition
Very nice. Thanks, Bill.

tir. 6. jul. 2021, 3:57 a.m. skrev Bill Alves <alves@g.hmc.edu>:
Thanks to Rory Walsh and his Csound for Unity, I have put together a virtual reality work in which Csound playback and animation are synchronized:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APfbnMm3v8s

Notice that the music spatialization follows the orientation of the headset. Thanks Rory!

Bill Alves

FromAlex Hofmann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound VR composition
Great composition, Bill! I enjoyed it a lot.

Concerning to run it on the Quest, that would be great, I would love to experience this, too. But, I fear it will not work that easily. I worked myself on VR projects in the last two years and the difficulty with the Quest is that it is based on Android. So projects in C++ do not easily compile there, I tried a few things with Csound on Quest last summer, but then I gave up and used the Unity sound engine for my projects, because I had to make some deadlines.

However, I remember Hector Centeno also worked on running Csound on Android inside Unity, but I don't how far he got?

Best,
Alex

Am 06.07.2021 um 08:37 schrieb Oeyvind Brandtsegg <obrandts@GMAIL.COM>:

Very nice. Thanks, Bill.

tir. 6. jul. 2021, 3:57 a.m. skrev Bill Alves <alves@g.hmc.edu>:
Thanks to Rory Walsh and his Csound for Unity, I have put together a virtual reality work in which Csound playback and animation are synchronized:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APfbnMm3v8s

Notice that the music spatialization follows the orientation of the headset. Thanks Rory!

Bill Alves

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound VR composition
Thanks for sharing this Bill. Is there any chance you can share the application? I would love to try this out with my VR headset.

@Alex, CsoundUnity now runs on the Oculus Quest, thanks to Giovanni Bedetti and Steven Yi. So no need to go messing with C++ at all. CsoundUnity ships with everything you need, apart from the Oculus Quest unfortunately :(

On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 at 08:10, Alex Hofmann <ahah@gmx.net> wrote:
[...]

Fromandy fillebrown
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound VR composition
Very nice! Would love to try this out on my headset, too

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 9:57 PM Bill Alves  wrote:

> Thanks to Rory Walsh and his Csound for Unity, I have put together a virtual reality work in which Csound playback and animation are synchronized:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APfbnMm3v8s
>
> Notice that the music spatialization follows the orientation of the headset. Thanks Rory!
>
> Bill Alves

FromBill Alves
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound VR composition
Thanks to all who responded and especially for your appreciation for
these efforts -- it means a lot to me. I am still a novice with this
whole thing and getting the app running under Oculus and HTV desktop
systems. My initial effort for a runtime version (for windows) can be
found here:

https://billalves.itch.io/asterism

Input controller systems for HTV and Oculus are currently in a state
of flux, from what I can tell. This version works on my HTV Vive but
when I try the Oculus Rift S, it seems to crash after the initial run
or when I try to exit with the grip button. I would be grateful for
any other reports and especially any offers of help or suggestions
from people with Unity VR experience. For those people or anyone
curious about the source code, I have uploaded the Unity project here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1u8k1wf7RGMG3VSDOtI1br8ODvPt5jjHy?usp=sharing

Thanks again to all!

Bill

> On Jul 7, 2021, at 3:33 AM, andy fillebrown  wrote:
>
> Very nice! Would love to try this out on my headset, too
>
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 9:57 PM Bill Alves  wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to Rory Walsh and his Csound for Unity, I have put together a virtual reality work in which Csound playback and animation are synchronized:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APfbnMm3v8s
>>
>> Notice that the music spatialization follows the orientation of the headset. Thanks Rory!
>>
>> Bill Alves
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Bill Alves
Professor of Music, The Claremont Colleges
Harvey Mudd College
301 Platt Blvd. Claremont CA 91711
http://pages.hmc.edu/alves/
http://www.billalves.com/