[Csnd] ImmersAV Toolkit

Date2020-12-11 13:40
FromBryan Dunphy
Subject[Csnd] ImmersAV Toolkit
Hi Csound list,

Long time lurker on this list and finally sharing something that I hope may interest some of you!

The ImmersAV toolkit is a code based environment for creating abstract audiovisual art in VR. It uses Csound as the audio engine utilising the brilliant Csound API.

It is written in C/C++ and combines Csound, OpenGL, OpenVR and RapidLib (for interactive machine learning). I have created two pieces with it so far:

obj_#3:

Ag Fás Ar Ais Arís:

The motivation for creating the toolkit was to create a minimal environment that would allow me to generate all my audio in the .csd file, all my visuals in a single frag shader and a mapping/data processing class in between that can connect the two processing contexts. I then wanted to experience these pieces in a fully immersive setting and decided to utilise OpenVR directly rather than going through Unity or Unreal.

I am giving a talk on the toolkit as part of the Seeing Sound symposium this weekend: http://www.seeingsound.co.uk/

It is very much an early iteration with many possible improvements but hope you will find it interesting!

Thanks for reading!
Bryan Dunphy

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] ImmersAV Toolkit
Thanks, Bryan.
We would like to have this on the csound.com projects page

https://csound.com/projects.html

if you know how to do it, a PR on the csound.github.io repo is all we need.

> On 11 Dec 2020, at 13:40, Bryan Dunphy  wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hi Csound list,
>
> Long time lurker on this list and finally sharing something that I hope may interest some of you!
>
> The ImmersAV toolkit is a code based environment for creating abstract audiovisual art in VR. It uses Csound as the audio engine utilising the brilliant Csound API.
>
> https://github.com/bDunph/ImmersAV
>
> It is written in C/C++ and combines Csound, OpenGL, OpenVR and RapidLib (for interactive machine learning). I have created two pieces with it so far:
>
> obj_#3:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdvezMCTt-I&t=7s
>
> Ag Fás Ar Ais Arís:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LewHeC5e1fM&t=38s
>
> The motivation for creating the toolkit was to create a minimal environment that would allow me to generate all my audio in the .csd file, all my visuals in a single frag shader and a mapping/data processing class in between that can connect the two processing contexts. I then wanted to experience these pieces in a fully immersive setting and decided to utilise OpenVR directly rather than going through Unity or Unreal.
>
> I am giving a talk on the toolkit as part of the Seeing Sound symposium this weekend: http://www.seeingsound.co.uk/
>
> It is very much an early iteration with many possible improvements but hope you will find it interesting!
>
> Thanks for reading!
> Bryan Dunphy

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] ImmersAV Toolkit
Nice work. That's an Oculus quest?

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 at 14:10, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Thanks, Bryan.
We would like to have this on the csound.com projects page

https://csound.com/projects.html

if you know how to do it, a PR on the csound.github.io repo is all we need.

> On 11 Dec 2020, at 13:40, Bryan Dunphy <bryandunphy@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hi Csound list,
>
> Long time lurker on this list and finally sharing something that I hope may interest some of you!
>
> The ImmersAV toolkit is a code based environment for creating abstract audiovisual art in VR. It uses Csound as the audio engine utilising the brilliant Csound API.
>
> https://github.com/bDunph/ImmersAV
>
> It is written in C/C++ and combines Csound, OpenGL, OpenVR and RapidLib (for interactive machine learning). I have created two pieces with it so far:
>
> obj_#3:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdvezMCTt-I&t=7s
>
> Ag Fás Ar Ais Arís:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LewHeC5e1fM&t=38s
>
> The motivation for creating the toolkit was to create a minimal environment that would allow me to generate all my audio in the .csd file, all my visuals in a single frag shader and a mapping/data processing class in between that can connect the two processing contexts. I then wanted to experience these pieces in a fully immersive setting and decided to utilise OpenVR directly rather than going through Unity or Unreal.
>
> I am giving a talk on the toolkit as part of the Seeing Sound symposium this weekend: http://www.seeingsound.co.uk/
>
> It is very much an early iteration with many possible improvements but hope you will find it interesting!
>
> Thanks for reading!
> Bryan Dunphy

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] ImmersAV Toolkit
Impressive!
Thanks for sharing, at some later point I am really curious to study more the code.
Can I try out the app in my Oculus Go? What do I need to do for that?

Thanks!
tarmo

Kontakt Rory Walsh (<rorywalsh@ear.ie>) kirjutas kuupäeval R, 11. detsember 2020 kell 17:52:
Nice work. That's an Oculus quest?

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 at 14:10, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Thanks, Bryan.
We would like to have this on the csound.com projects page

https://csound.com/projects.html

if you know how to do it, a PR on the csound.github.io repo is all we need.

> On 11 Dec 2020, at 13:40, Bryan Dunphy <bryandunphy@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hi Csound list,
>
> Long time lurker on this list and finally sharing something that I hope may interest some of you!
>
> The ImmersAV toolkit is a code based environment for creating abstract audiovisual art in VR. It uses Csound as the audio engine utilising the brilliant Csound API.
>
> https://github.com/bDunph/ImmersAV
>
> It is written in C/C++ and combines Csound, OpenGL, OpenVR and RapidLib (for interactive machine learning). I have created two pieces with it so far:
>
> obj_#3:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdvezMCTt-I&t=7s
>
> Ag Fás Ar Ais Arís:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LewHeC5e1fM&t=38s
>
> The motivation for creating the toolkit was to create a minimal environment that would allow me to generate all my audio in the .csd file, all my visuals in a single frag shader and a mapping/data processing class in between that can connect the two processing contexts. I then wanted to experience these pieces in a fully immersive setting and decided to utilise OpenVR directly rather than going through Unity or Unreal.
>
> I am giving a talk on the toolkit as part of the Seeing Sound symposium this weekend: http://www.seeingsound.co.uk/
>
> It is very much an early iteration with many possible improvements but hope you will find it interesting!
>
> Thanks for reading!
> Bryan Dunphy

Fromandy fillebrown
SubjectRe: [Csnd] ImmersAV Toolkit
Very cool! Thanks for sharing

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 8:50 AM Bryan Dunphy <bryandunphy@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] ImmersAV Toolkit
Wonderful work Bryan

Thanks for doing it and for sharing it - and for using CSOUND!

Looking forward to watching the video of your talk this weekend and learning more about how the whole system works.

Also, looking forward to hopefully using it with an Oculus Quest 2 (when it arrives) - in the next few weeks - if possible.

Dr.B.

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor of Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing and Technology Division

skype: radiobaton

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/richard.boulanger.58

about: http://www.boulangerlabs.com/#about

about: http://www.csounds.com/community/developers/dr-richard-boulanger/

music: http://www.csounds.com/community/developers/dr-richard-boulanger/dr-richard-boulanger-music/

Boulanger Labs - http://boulangerlabs.com

The Csound Book http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/csound-book

The Audio Programming Book - http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/audio-programming-book

[...]

Thank you so much for your kind words everyone!

@Victor - Oh yes I would love to send it in to the projects page. The pull request procedure looks straight forward. Am I right in saying the 'layout' declaration in the header should be set to 'post'?

@Rory - The headset in the obj_#3 video is a HTC Vive Pro. I like the look of the Quest, especially the self contained nature of it. The Vive, although powerful when attached to a good PC, is quite bulky and you are always aware of the cable which takes me out of the experience somewhat. I feel that untethered solutions could offer an increased sense of immersion in this respect.

@Tarmo - Unfortunately I have only tested it on the Vive so am not too sure if it will run on the Oculus Go. The app runs on the PC through the SteamVR runtime and it depends on the tracking of the two controllers to interact with the object. However there might still be a way to install it on the Go. You may lose the ability to dynamically interact with the object but you may be able to view it and hear it in the environment. What is the process for installing apps on the Go? Is it through the Oculus store or can you access Steam?

@Richard - Thank you and I hope you enjoy the talk! Just quickly checked the specs on the Quest 2 and it looks like there is the ability to connect it to PC-based SteamVR apps through a USB3 cable. So there is a possibility that it will work on the Quest 2.

Tarmo and Richard, I have a Windows 64-bit build that I could share with the list if you would like to try it?

Thanks,
Bryan

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 3:08 AM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
[...]

It should be ‘project’ for showcases (see under the showcase directory in posts)

-------
title:
layout: project
website:
categories: showcase
tags: [ ]
———

and post for a news item

---
layout: post
title:
date:   Y-M-D 00:00:00
categories: site news
---

> [...]
>
> obj_#3:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdvezMCTt-I&t=7s
>
> Ag Fás Ar Ais Arís:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LewHeC5e1fM&t=38s
>
> The motivation for creating the toolkit was to create a minimal environment that would allow me to generate all my audio in the .csd file, all my visuals in a single frag shader and a mapping/data processing class in between that can connect the two processing contexts. I then wanted to experience these pieces in a fully immersive setting and decided to utilise OpenVR directly rather than going through Unity or Unreal.
>
> I am giving a talk on the toolkit as part of the Seeing Sound symposium this weekend: http://www.seeingsound.co.uk/
>
> It is very much an early iteration with many possible improvements but hope you will find it interesting!

FromBryan Dunphy
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] ImmersAV Toolkit
Great stuff. Thanks Victor.